Bank account on a tourist visa?

Hello everyone, 

I have read in several places that it is possible (or perhaps better to say "not impossible"!) to open a bank account at Bangkok Bank with a tourist visa.  Everything I have read stresses the importance of choosing the correct local bank branch.  Does anyone know at which branches in Pattaya this might be possible and what documents beyond the obvious ones like passport etc are needed?   Does any board member have first-hand experience doing this? Thanks for any comments/advice.

5 hours ago, RedArmy said:

I opened up a Bangkok Bank account in Phuket on a Visa Exempt entry last October.

I got a residence certificate from Immigration for 500 baht, but the bank insisted that i take out their 1 year accident insurance - I needed an account that day so paid 5900 for their policy.

500 baht initial deposit into the account & 500 baht for the ATM card - Not ideal, but was happy as i left with an account, card & bank book.

Sounds a good deal  to me. And good news  for the OP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RedArmy said:

I got a residence certificate from Immigration for 500 baht, but the bank insisted that i take out their 1 year accident insurance - I needed an account that day so paid 5900 for their policy.

That insurance scam has been an option forever. 

The OP is in Pattaya.

He might have luck with random branch.

He also could use agent.

Maneerat is one example.

Approx 5k.

No residence certificate or insurance required. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He might have luck with random branch

@RedArmy...

Why not quote my complete post.

I mentioned he could try random branches. 

You obtained a residence certificate and paid for insurance.

As in another thread same question but was in Bangkok.

RC will not be same day there. 

You stated ....

"- I needed an account that day so paid 5900 for their policy."

Did you abtain residence certificate same day?

Can assure you that's not possible everywhere. 

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Did you abtain residence certificate same day?

Can assure you that's not possible everywhere. 

Yes, in the Patong small tourist friendly immigration office - And they gave me 10 photos as well.

Ps: You didnt answer my original question ?

1 minute ago, RedArmy said:

Ps: You didnt answer my original question ?

Think your question was asking why pay an agent when you can just buy insurance to achieve same outcome.

Some immigration offices will not provide residence certificate same day.

Think you stated that you required bank account that same day.

Also CW for example require a residence certificate however that requires a 90 day report. Also takes between 1-2 weeks to be posted out. 

Many folk are not doing 90 day reports as they are on eg tourist visa.

Also some folk reading these threads are looking to obtain non O and need bank account asap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

I tried 3 banks in BKK with a Condo Lease in hand and all had different rules but none would

open an account.  Sometime an agent is the best, leas stressful, course  of action.  Can anyone suggest a good agent in BKK.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I've recommend Siam Legal to few folk and they have been happy.

You could also pm @ThaiVisaCentre for guidance/advice. 

Bangkok Buddy you could also ask.

What type of entry do you have.

Visa, visa exempt? 

This is something we currently only offer visa clients.

However in the future we may expand it out as a general service.

• Haha 1

I opened a second Thai bank account (I've had a Kaisikorn account for along time) with Bangkok Bank about 4 years ago and had to provide evidence of my Non O visa, along with yellow house book, I also showed my pink ID card.

Account was opened there and then no insurance requirements.

This was in Isaan, where I live.

Curious about this account with insurance offers. Do the bank officers blatantly put them on the table as an alternative or option if a work permit is not available? Or is it mentioned discreetly with fidgety hands and side glances to check if anybody else is within hearing distance?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mvdf said:

Curious about this account with insurance offers. Do the bank officers blatantly put them on the table as an alternative or option if a work permit is not available? Or is it mentioned discreetly with fidgety hands and side glances to check if anybody else is within hearing distance?

Nope, they just come right out and say it's a condition for opening an account.

• Like 2

Guest truthman
11 hours ago, nana kid said:

I tried 3 banks in BKK with a Condo Lease in hand and all had different rules but none would

open an account.  Sometime an agent is the best, leas stressful, course  of action.  Can anyone suggest a good agent in BKK.  

Thai Visa Experts will help you do it for 5,000 I believe

14 minutes ago, mvdf said:

Depends on the bank/branch, it can be the first option or the last option after discussing the other options. Just remember, the staff get commission if they upsell insurance, and insurance is only available for account holders.

1 hour ago, Greenstripe said:

Wow - very helpful advice.  Thanks everyone!  On reading more, I saw (as DrJack54 said) that Siam Legal offer this as a service for $150.  Not sure whether that involves the insurance option as well but will update if I go that way.  

There is no insurance policy with agent.

The one post earlier that had success and did not buy insurance also had a non O in passport.

Cannot see the point of that post as you are on a tourist visa.

Before turning to agent you could try Kasikorn bank. 

You might fluke it, especially if you have a lease.

Bangkok Bank are pretty emphatic about residence certificate or statement from your embassy. 

Being in Pattaya you might try a few banks. Don't waste too much of your time.

If possible please report back with responses from banks. 

Edited by DrJack54