Bank account on a tourist visa?

50 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When.

Which bank. 

What paperwork was required. 

Be specific to assist OP.

Strange that post brings two laugh emoji but typical. 

I have opened 2 bank accounts.

One approx 10 years ago on tourist visa.

Most recent 2and half years ago.

The second was with Kasikorn bank in local mall.

Note for the second one I had a non O and extentions from that for several years.

I provided a lease but cannot recall if it was required.

Bangkok Bank were adamant they required a residence certificate or statement from my embassy. (note my Oz embassy does not provide that service).

Back to the one 10 years ago.

Yes I took Thai school teacher companion with me and she had account at that bank.

No good. Tried many banks over days. 

Ended up opening one at big office for Krungthai near Soi 3 Nana..

The breakthrough there was  they required me to sign form that no interest was to be paid.

In those days interest rates were much more than current.

I wasn't interested in rates. 

In recent times it's been popular pathway to a non O to arrive in Thailand visa exempt or tourist visa.

The issue is the bank account needs to be opened quickly. 

In Bangkok it would be extremely difficult. 

The OP is in Pattaya and I have suggested he try a few banks with his TV and he might get lucky.

If not, agent option is available. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That insurance scam has been an option forever.

Seems like if you buy their insurance they waive all other documents needed to open an account. From my experience. Also a scam getting DAILY SMS, instead of once a week.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Strange that post brings two laugh emoji but typical. 

I already provided the details of my 2 accounts opened on visa exempt (without needing insurance) earlier in the thread, in which you left a laughing emoji, hence I responded the same when you demanded me to give details again

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Also a scam getting DAILY SMS, instead of once a week.

You can turn that off. I was charged monthly fees for sms even when phone Sim died until I turned it off on the bank app (or go to branch and they will turn off for you)

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

I have opened 2 bank accounts on visa exempt and was never required to buy insurance

Indeed....

One account opened was 12 years ago. Skip that as much has changed.

Then this one.....

. "I showed my passport and a copy of the chanote for my condo and they gave me a bank account immediately (Krungsi)"...

When was this account opened and where. 

The thing is you had a chanote as condo owner. 

Perhaps reason why you obtained bank account. 

Presumably you still had the other bank account from 12 years ago.

In any event don't think your circumstances are the typical joe that has a visa exempt stamp in his pp and wants to open a bank account.

No condo ownership and no previous bank account. 

As I have pointed several times (as this thread keeps coming up) many are needing bank account as pathway to non O.

Granted the OP didn't indicate he is after a non O.

Have asked the OP to report back with his experience in Pattaya of opening Bank account on TV and even suggested a particular bank that being Kasikorn.

Hopefully an agent will not be required and also insurance not required.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed....

One account opened was 12 years ago. Skip that as much has changed.

Then this one.....

. "I showed my passport and a copy of the chanote for my condo and they gave me a bank account immediately (Krungsi)"...

When was this account opened and where. 

The thing is you had a chanote as condo owner. 

Perhaps reason why you obtained bank account. 

Presumably you still had the other bank account from 12 years ago.

In any event don't think your circumstances are the typical joe that has a visa exempt stamp in his pp and wants to open a bank account.

No condo ownership and no previous bank account. 

As I have pointed several times (as this thread keeps coming up) many are needing bank account as pathway to non O.

Granted the OP didn't indicate he is after a non O.

Have asked the OP to report back with his experience in Pattaya of opening Bank account on TV and even suggested a particular bank that being Kasikorn.

Hopefully an agent will not be required and also insurance not required.

That was seriously long-winded.

They won't have any luck with Kasikorn, as they will want to see either a work permit or a long term visa.

17 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

You can turn that off. I was charged monthly fees for sms even when phone Sim died until I turned it off on the bank app (or go to branch and they will turn off for you)

I'm aware of what you can do to stop it, but they ask '' you want SMS ?'' most will say yes, not realizing it's daily, they don't tell you about cheaper options, I think i pay 200b a year, for once a week and deposits, and over 5k withdrawal.

On the other hand my mate is paying monthly for daily sms. He can't get to the bank or use the app due to severe disability's.  He is not allowed an ATM card or internet banking as he could only use a thumb print to open the account in the first place and that was a nightmare for him.

23 hours ago, Greenstripe said:

Hello everyone, 

I have read in several places that it is possible (or perhaps better to say "not impossible"!) to open a bank account at Bangkok Bank with a tourist visa.  Everything I have read stresses the importance of choosing the correct local bank branch.  Does anyone know at which branches in Pattaya this might be possible and what documents beyond the obvious ones like passport etc are needed?   Does any board member have first-hand experience doing this? Thanks for any comments/advice.

Just to add, that the Residence Certificate that you get from Jomtien Immigration will have the name of the bank at which you intend to apply; in this case, Bangkok Bank.

You'll need 'proof' of where you stay, such as a rental contract or hotel booking with receipt.

Once you have the Residence Certificate, take that along with your passport and the requisite amount of cash; I think it's 700 baht for the card and account and 500 for the opening balance.

Don't waste your time with other banks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So opening a bank account on a tourist visa is simple, just get a residence certificate first like @Bruno123 says above (skip the rest of the thread)

I believe this can also be used to get your bike license so baht well spent ???? 

What's needed:

Screenshot_20220529-144505_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:09 AM, BritTim said:

About a year ago, the Pattaya 2 Road branch in South Pattaya would accommodate you if you expressed a willingness to buy a cheap accident insurance policy (about 3,000 baht for a year, and possibly not worthless if you ride motorcycles in Pattaya). Possibly the best branch to try.

I agree, that branch on 2nd rd ,near soi 6, is great to deal with. 

I've been going there for 6 years. 

They get many farlang customers .they know what our requirements are, re immigration etc. 

3 hours ago, murraynz said:

I agree, that branch on 2nd rd ,near soi 6, is great to deal with. 

I've been going there for 6 years. 

They get many farlang customers .they know what our requirements are, re immigration etc. 

It's 'farang'; from 'farangset'. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1