Retirement visa income requirement - how does it really work?

13 minutes ago, RubenRemus said:

Very helpful Tod. I'm in country now on a Non-B for work (work permit). Can this be converted to Non-O retirement in country as well? 

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from working to retirement. You would need a letter from your employer stating the the day you will no longer be working to have you current extension canceled and apply for the new extension based upon retirement.

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories without leaving the country.

15 hours ago, KannikaP said:
15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Even if I had 800k to stash away, I would never allow immigration to have control over what I can and cannot do with my own money. To my mind it's scandalous!

Then you would be kicked out of the country.

I've been here 9 years and there's not been a hint of that happening so far!

Our office in Sakon Nakhon does accept the combo method and when he realized that I had funds available, he suggested that I use that method rather than a marriage extension. But then came the catch 22 bit.

The same rules that apply to the 800k about balance of funds maintenance, also apply on a pro rata basis to the capital sum. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick to a marriage extension.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Is your Bang Rakam location the one served by Phitsanulok Immigration?

Can you also share what Immigration office you are using?

There's many posts on these immigration pages where members state 'can' or 'cannot' without the all important bit of WHERE being mentioned.

Thanks in advance. Maybe we can work up an ad hoc list of immigration offices that will help @ubonjoe and @DrJack54 keep their extensive knowledge of immigration matters current and more relevant.

Bang Rakam comes under Phitsanulok Immigration, who recently moved from near Makro, to near the main Police Station, Google Map it if you need to go.

No proof of 'Pension' needed, simply evidence that a Foreign Transfer is made every month to my Bkk Bank, shown as such in my book, and on the bank statements. I get one of those each6 months immediately from the bank without having to wait the week for it to come from head office. There is now a facility in the Bkk Bank App to download statements but these are not stamped by the bank so maybe are not accepted by Immigration

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

So if you can meet the financials (and all other requirements as applicable) - don't use an agent, is my advise.

Very naive post imo.

First up I do not use agents 

However many have for many years and certainly not because they cannot afford the 800k money in bank option.

Your type about 90 reports etc shows you don't know much about how it works. 

Yes they are obtained upcountry.

KK in the main. 

Zero issues 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Phayao

Thanks for reply.

The 3 months prior is a nonsense, however bottom line is folk have two choices if dealing with that rubbish office. 

Accept their 3 month rubbish or use an agent. 

2 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I deal with that office but use income. I do not need to use an agents.  I have friends who accept their ruling. It is up to the individual. In my opinion an agent is the last resort.

What's your point.

Yes it's up to the individual.

Why do AseanNow posters need to impose their opinion re agents.

Dont  like em then don't use em.

Want to use agent then fine.

As the saying goes "up to you"

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What's your point.

Yes it's up to the individual.

Why do AseanNow posters need to impose their opinion re agents.

Dont  like em then don't use em.

Want to use agent then fine.

As the saying goes "up to you"

I am only giving my opinion. I am sorry if it is different to yours. We are allowed to express our personal opinions. Then other members can make up their on minds.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So what is details of how you obtain extension using income method. 

What is passport country. 

How about a monthly deposit of Bht 65k form a foreign bank into your Thai bank.

On 5/28/2022 at 7:27 PM, Jingthing said:

Not all offices would accept as low as 200k and also you need to learn how BALANCE MAINTENANCE rules apply at your office for combos.

Yes compared to the other methods objectively more complicated.

I guess by Balance Maintenance you are referring to the fact that if you have 800k, you can halve that for 7 months of the year.

So if you have say 400k, plus 33k x 12 in monthly transfers ( = 800k), can that lump sum be halved as well?

That question has never arisen for me as I only keep 200k as my lump sum, so really it is not worth worrying about. But I shall ask my IO next time.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I guess by Balance Maintenance you are referring to the fact that if you have 800k, you can halve that for 7 months of the year.

So if you have say 400k, plus 33k x 12 in monthly transfers ( = 800k), can that lump sum be halved as well?

That question has never arisen for me as I only keep 200k as my lump sum, so really it is not worth worrying about. But I shall ask my IO next time.

Yes, the penny's dropped at last. That's exactly as I explained it on Saturday and you gave it a 'confused'  emoji.???? I also keep around 200k in reserve and when our IO saw this, he suggested I use that to make a retirement extension. When I quizzed him on the rules, he told me then the lump sum was subject to the same rules as an 800k lump sum would be.

Not for me thank you. That 200k is my emergency fund. It's of no use to me if Immigration rules prevent me from accessing it should I need to!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Agree and may even complicate matters as they may send your passport to an upcountry Imm office which is not where you live and need to do 90 day reports to etc.

Some Imm Officers look unfavorably on people whose passports show what are obviously agent assisted visa (telltale sign being issuance form a small Imm office nowhere near where you live...and the IOs generally know which offices are doing this in a given year). The assumption being that you must not have met the financial requirements and used an agent for that reason.

So if you can meet the financials (and all other requirements as applicable) - don't use an agent, is my advise.

It does appear that using agents, for whatever reason, can be risky in certain jurisdictions.

For example, a recent thread discussed a Bangkok area resident getting a hard time at CW when his previous, agent-enabled extension appeared to have been issued 'up country'. He had previously used the agent as it was expedient to his situation at the time but NOT related to any lack of funds. He ended up having to 'compensate' the CW official to overlook what he had dismissed as a "dirty" extension and issue a "clean" one.

If one is going to use an agent, one has to consider if one's circumstances are going to change during the year such as extension type (marriage, retirement or related to a WP) or possible relocation. The 90-day reports can be done online but one must still be aware of where one's extension was issued if it was done by an agent. Anyone using an agent needs to ask them where the extension is being issued to avoid a ball ache like the above.

Personally, I use an agent solely for the ease and efficiency of it all: a fast, 10 minute, in-out renewal versus a 3 or 4 hour drag. However, the Immigration office I use does agent-enabled business in-house and nothing is sent 'up country'. If this changes in the future and the agent says my passport needs to disappear for a few days, I will revert to the full DIY or 'legal' option as some prefer to call it and bring a book to read while I wait.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So what is details of how you obtain extension using income method. 

What is passport country. 

I am Australian. Have a superannuation pension paid into my Australian bank. I then transfer this to Thailand using Wise. It shows up in my bank and Foreign Transfer. It has to more than 65,000 baht per month

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I am Australian. Have a superannuation pension paid into my Australian bank. I then transfer this to Thailand using Wise. It shows up in my bank and Foreign Transfer. It has to more than 65,000 baht per month

Snap. That's my situation regarding the super in Oz.

At this stage haven't taken that path of transfers for income method and instead use the money in bank method.

The point I was making is that for anyone obtaining non O retirement in Thailand and then subsequent extension, unless your government provides income letter (Oz do not) then the only way for first extension is to use money in bank method. 

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Snap. That's my situation regarding the super in Oz.

At this stage haven't taken that path of transfers for income method and instead use the money in bank method.

The point I was making is that for anyone obtaining non O retirement in Thailand and then subsequent extension, unless your government provides income letter (Oz do not) then the only way for first extension is to use money in bank method. 

I obtained a Non O in Australia and used the Embassy letter until they stopped a few years ago. My immigration office accept my transfers as long as they are coded FTT and I provide a source of income being a letter from my superannuation pension

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

I obtained a Non O in Australia and used the Embassy letter until they stopped a few years ago. My immigration office accept my transfers as long as they are coded FTT and I provide a source of income being a letter from my superannuation pension

Doesn't help the OP much.

Obtaining a non O in Thailand and subsequent extension would require money in bank method if from country that does not provide income letter.

USA, UK, AU

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Anyone using an agent needs to ask them where the extension is being issued to avoid a ball ache like the above.

Personally, I use an agent solely for the ease and efficiency of it all: a fast, 10 minute, in-out renewal versus a 3 or 4 hour drag. However, the Immigration office I use does agent-enabled business in-house and nothing is sent 'up country'. If this changes in the future and the agent says my passport needs to disappear for a few days, I will revert to the full DIY or 'legal' option as some prefer to call it and bring a book to read while I wait.

I also use an Agent for convenience (use the 800K in the Bank method) and it should be obvious which office they're doing the extension at as you have to be present when it's being done.... I wouldn't go near an Agent that told me I didn't have to turn up at Immigration on the day. 

For Bangkok I used to use Asia Visa Tour (Suk Soi24) & they were very clear that they couldn't/wouldn't help me unless I could meet the financial requirements for the extension - cost was 7.900 THB (included the 1,900 THB fee), last time I was in & out of CW within 30 minutes (including getting the letter from the Bank) & was able to do the extension 44 days in advance despite CW only seeing people whos extension was due within 3 days at that time. 

25 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

& was able to do the extension 44 days in advance despite CW only seeing people whos extension was due within 3 days at that time

Refresh my memory. 

When did CW restrict the application being only 3 days prior to expiry. 

Also how is your post related to the OP.

"I'm in-country already with a bank account in my name. I turn 50 in a few months. I can transfer in the required 800K at any time to start the seasoning process.".

You are using an agent for hand holding. Nothing wrong with that however not addressing the OP.

12 hours ago, stereolab said:

You had better believe it!  It makes all these on-line enquiries so pointless and irritating.

Yes and no.

Depends on the method used.

The 800k bsnk method rules are very clear and enforcement is highly consistent across Thailand.

Not 100 percent though.

Of course there will be variances on details like how fresh the bank letter needs to be, etc.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Refresh my memory. 

When did CW restrict the application being only 3 days prior to expiry. 

Also how is your post related to the OP.

"I'm in-country already with a bank account in my name. I turn 50 in a few months. I can transfer in the required 800K at any time to start the seasoning process.".

You are using an agent for hand holding. Nothing wrong with that however not addressing the OP.

Last August (Thread about it here unfortunately the official announcement quoted in the thread is no longer available... 

My post was in reply to the sub-topic that had developed about people using agents & relevant to the post that I quoted & several others prior to that... If it was OT then simply report it to a Mod & ask for it to be removed. 

Sorry it wasn't in direct response to the OPs query but I figured he'd been given all the information that he needed so no need for me to repeat it.

Now can you enlighten me as to how your post relates to the OP & when you got granted the power to decide who can post what.... 

Edited by Mike Teavee