Visa run needed in June (from Phuket)

Needing to do a visa run the first half of June, at the request of my next employer

What's the best option from Phuket? Could the Thailand Pass be a issue with booked travel dates? (taking too long to process within a short space of time)

Thailand Pass these days is pretty quick (provided you are vaccinated). Most people get it approved within 24 hours. And you can apply before you even leave the country. Also the pass you will receive is valid for 7 days in either direction.

Cambodia would be an option as no restrictions on entry except vaccination record.. you can get tourist visa online or on arrival. Are you needing to get a new visa or just to re-enter? If the latter what visa status would you enter on? (If visa exempt airline might demand proof of onward flight)

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Will you be going someplace to apply for a visa at a embassy or consulate?

Or are you just wanting to leave and re-enter the country visa exempt?

need to go to the embassy to get tourist or non-b (not sure at this time), can't be a visa exempt entry

would Laos be cheaper than Cambodia?

@Sheryl(think this covers your question too)

5 minutes ago, clarky cat said:

need to go to the embassy to get tourist or non-b (not sure at this time), can't be a visa exempt entry

@Sheryl(think this covers your question too)

I can't say re Laos costs and visa requirements.

Cambodia:  visa to enter will cost you $36 if you get it online (which saves a full page in your passport) and I think $30 if you do it on arrival. To get a new Thai visa, will need at least 3 working days (be sure to check the list of public holidays). Tourist visa supposedly requires a return flight booked, non-B doesn't. I don't know if you can get around this. There are many agents who will do the visa for you and only a $1 extra charge. Prices for the thai visas likley more or less the same in Laos and Cambodia.

Plenty of reasonably priced hotels. Not as many good foreign food restaurants as pre-COVID but still some, and good prices. You can enter by land or by air, but land entry entails then a long ride to reach Phnom Penh, really not worth it IMO except for those traveling to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat.

I suspect Laos overall will be cheaper but wait for someone who has actual figures.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I can't say re Laos costs and visa requirements.

Cambodia:  visa to enter will cost you $36 if you get it online (which saves a full page in your passport) and I think $30 if you do it on arrival. To get a new Thai visa, will need at least 3 working days (be sure to check the list of public holidays). Tourist visa supposedly requires a return flight booked, non-B doesn't. I don't know if you can get around this. There are many agents who will do the visa for you and only a $1 extra charge. Prices for the thai visas likley more or less the same in Laos and Cambodia.

Plenty of reasonably priced hotels. Not as many good foreign food restaurants as pre-COVID but still some, and good prices. You can enter by land or by air, but land entry entails then a long ride to reach Phnom Penh, really not worth it IMO except for those traveling to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat.

I suspect Laos overall will be cheaper but wait for someone who has actual figures.

lots of helpful info, thanks

1 hour ago, clarky cat said:

What's the best option from Phuket?

Just putting this one in the mix.

Saigon.

Easy flight and nice helpful consulate. 

Easy transport from airport to district 1.

They do tourist visa overnight.

Drop off AM and pick up next day PM 

Not sure of entry requirements to Vietnam and have been asking about that. 

Depending upon pp country you may be entitled to 14 day visa exempt entry. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, clarky cat said:

Laos probably would be cheaper since it a easy trip by air to Udon Thani and by land to the bridge in Nong Khai.

Also the embassy in Phnom Penh is not know to be a good place to get a non-b visa. Unless it has changed you would have to wait for about 5 days for to be approved.

• Thanks 1

You do not mention your current visa status, and the need for the visa run. In general, a tourist visa being essential over the visa exempt entry suggests an employer who wants you to work without a Non B/work permit. Are you comfortable with that?