Visa for spouse of a Thai national

Is there a visa that I can apply for by virtue of being the spouse of a Thai national.

I can't do a retirement visa as I am not yet ready to draw my private pension and the UK state pension will not be sufficient to meet the transfer requirements. I did look at the non Immigrant O but that seem to have an even higher transfer requirement than the retirement visa.

It seems all I could get is a tourist visa but that doesn't give any residency rights eg for a Thai driving licence and expat discounts and is not multi entry.

5 hours ago, James207 said:

It seems all I could get is a tourist visa but that doesn't give any residency rights eg for a Thai driving licence and expat discounts and is not multi entry.

Without being prepared to obtain a non O you would next opt for a tourist visa. 

It depends on how long you wish to visit Thailand.

A tourist visa provides 60 day stay and can be extended by 30 days.

In addition you can obtain 60 day extension to visit wife 

So that's 5 months approx.

For a non O you only require 400k in a Thai bank account in your name only on day of application.

That provides a 90 day stay.

As for driving license you can obtain one on a tourist visa but difficult in Bangkok as a residence certificate is required and you need to have made a 90 day report. 

As for residency rights ..Dream on.

We (in the main) are living in Thailand on temporary permission of stay.

That includes married guys. 

The multi entry reference is bit irrelevant since if that is required you purchase a reentry permit. 

I like the expat discount price bit. Visit a national park and see how that works for entry fee. 

You could look into multi entry Non O marriage.

All depends on how long you wish to visit Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, James207 said:

I did look at the non Immigrant O but that seem to have an even higher transfer requirement than the retirement visa.

Are you sure you looked at the correct non-o visa.  For a non-o visa you only need the equivalent of 20k baht when you apply at the embassy in London.

Look here on the e visa site: https://thaievisa.go.th/non-immigrant-o

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

For a non O you only require 400k in a Thai bank account in your name only on day of application.

As for driving license you can obtain one on a tourist visa but difficult in Bangkok as a residence certificate is required and you need to have made a 90 day report. 

The multi entry reference is bit irrelevant since if that is required you purchase a reentry permit. 

I like the expat discount price bit. Visit a national park and see how that works for entry fee. 

Koh Chang Marine Park fees.  Foreigner 400 thb, Thai 240 thb.  Some discount!  More of same almost everywhere.

• Like 1

Hi Joe,

Also interested in single entry Non O 

Looked at link provided and can't see any 20k Baht mentioned only

3. Financial evidence (e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party).

So what are they looking for number wise ?

TA

13 minutes ago, Iannisa said:

3. Financial evidence (e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party).

The 20k baht number is the minimum standard amount required for any visa application.

Not sure why they do not show the 20k baht number. You show more if you want to.

1 hour ago, Iannisa said:

Hi Joe,

TA

I really don’t understand how you missed the 20k Baht minimum requirement 

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/non-immigrant-visa

FDB30F50-91D0-4CEC-9BDB-4260414B9E79.thumb.jpeg.5116d59f8c446540483b1b94e3ea070b.jpeg

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

2 extensions?  I thought it was either or?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The 20k baht number is the minimum standard amount required for any visa application.

Not sure why they do not show the 20k baht number. You show more if you want to.

They do, he just didn’t see it.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You mean for an extension. You don't need 400k to apply for a Non O visa based on marriage.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You mean for an extension. You don't need 400k to apply for a Non O visa based on marriage.

I'm referring to non O marriage obtained at immigration in Thailand.

Regarding your other question about tourist visa.

You can obtain a 30 day extension in addition to 60 day extension to visit wife. 

James,  I think you are confusing a Non O Visa with an extension of stay. The best route for you depends on how long you want to stay.

If its short term, you can obtain a Single Entry Non O at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home country or a country where you have legal residence. That would give you a 90 day stay which if legally married, you can extend by 60 days giving you 5 months. There are differing amounts that you need to show for that visa - from 0 upwards but nowhere near 400K.

Depending on where your Thai embassy/consulate is, you can also obtain a 12 month Multi Entry Non O Visa (MENO), again based upon legal marriage, which gives you unlimited stays in a 12 month period - each one is 90 days but again its extendable by 60 days.  If you time it right and make your last entry just before the expiry date of the visa you can actually make it last up to 17 months.

However, the number of embassies/consulates that offer a MENO is limited.  Most of the places that did/do offer MENO's were neighbouring or close to Thailand to the best of my knowledge - I got my last one in Ho Chi Minh City.  The requirements can different at each embassy/consulate. Some of those countries have only just opened up again following Covid restrictions and I don't think there have been any reports of MENO's being obtained in those countries yet.

If your local embassy/consulate has gone over to the e-visa system, they will only allow a Single Entry Visa based on marriage.

An extension of stay is where you enter the country, normally on a single entry route (I think this can be started from a 30 day exempt) and apply for a 12 month extension of stay based on either marriage or retirement. If successful you are granted the 12 month extension but you have to report to immigration every 90 days.  There are differing requirements for each type but for marriage its 400K in the bank or an income of 40k baht per month coming from abroad unless you have a work permit.  I think that's where you've got the 400k from.

Edited by KhaoYai

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

(I think this can be started from a 30 day exempt) and apply for a 12 month extension of stay based on either marriage or retirement

Indeed.... the non O marriage or retirement can be obtained from a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa entry..

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm referring to non O marriage obtained at immigration in Thailand.

But is that not because the purpose of applying for that Non O is that you are going to apply for an extension?  As far as I'm aware, that's the only reason you can obtain a Single Entry Non O in Thailand.  I wasn't aware that the 400k was required at that stage though.

9 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

But is that not because the purpose of applying for that Non O is that you are going to apply for an extension?  As far as I'm aware, that's the only reason you can obtain a Single Entry Non O in Thailand.  I wasn't aware that the 400k was required at that stage though.

Obtaining the non O doesn't mean you have to obtain a 12 month extension.

Think you pointed out one option of a non 0 from visa exempt or TV + obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

So roughly 1+1+3+2 months.

The non O obtained at immigration in Thailand requires 400k in bank on day you apply.

800k for retirement.

One small difference is that for retirement the 800k needs to show to have come from abroad, where as for marriage that is not required. 

Don't think the OP has indicated desired length of stay.

He would obtain better advice if he had.

Perhaps I missed it.

From post #1 I asked....

"All depends on how long you wish to visit Thailand."

Edited by DrJack54

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

57 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

Expat discounts??? ????????????????????????????

If you are referring solely to the OP, I agree expat discount won't apply.

However, in general for expats who obtain a "pink card", there are sometimes discounts. For example by showing mine I get Thai prices at a few attractions in Chiang Mai. Not always, clearly.

Off the top of my head... zoo, 4-d museum, royal flora, and some more.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

2 extensions?  I thought it was either or?

No, A touist visa gives you 60 day permission to stay which can be extended at immigration for 30 days for 1900 baht.  In addition a guy with a Thai spouse can get a 60 day extension to visit his wife on any entrance into Thailand.

49 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

No, A touist visa gives you 60 day permission to stay which can be extended at immigration for 30 days for 1900 baht.  In addition a guy with a Thai spouse can get a 60 day extension to visit his wife on any entrance into Thailand.

Yes, that has already been said.  I knew about both types of extension but I didn't know that you can use both and get 5 months.

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes, that has already been said.  I knew about both types of extension but I didn't know that you can use both and get 5 months.

Married guys get a very sweet deal and options imo. 

If they included a free Porsche I would consider marriage to my 10 year long Thai partner.

But probably not. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you pointed out one option of a non 0 from visa exempt or TV + obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

The non O obtained at immigration in Thailand requires 400k in bank on day you apply.

800k for retirement.

One small difference is that for retirement the 800k needs to show to have come from abroad, where as for marriage that is not required. 

Perhaps I missed it.

From post #1 I asked....

I was aware that a Non O could be obtained within Thailand but I thought it was only if you were applying for an extension - thanks for the clarification.

I believe he is asking about long term as he mentions residency.

Korat Immigration require the income to come from abroad - even if you are married unless you have a work permit.  In fact, when they are on 'full awkwardness mode' they require the income to have come from abroad even if you have a work permit and run a business. Yes I know, they are wrong on that but my mate had a hell of a fight over that a couple of years back.  As I'm sure you are aware, some offices make up their own rules and getting movement can be impossible. 

My mate called the helpline in Bangkok who agreed that Korat were wrong - would they call them and let them know? Not a cat in hell's chance. He went along with them that year and put 400k in the bank as his visa was almost up. His lawyer sorted it the following year.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 6:48 AM, ubonjoe said:

Are you sure you looked at the correct non-o visa.  For a non-o visa you only need the equivalent of 20k baht when you apply at the embassy in London.

Look here on the e visa site: https://thaievisa.go.th/non-immigrant-o

Hi, this is a screen capture from the Thai evisa site applying through UK for a non o single entry visa for being the parent of a Thai child. The option that was selected was the non o for visiting family ect. 

What I don't understand is why they are asking for the equivalent of 400k at this stage as apposed to when I apply for the extension in country after the initial 90 days?

If you select the best visiting family less than 60 days it comes up as a TV. And it sti has the 100k insurance requirements for covid which I'm assuming still hasn't been updated. 

Any ideas on the £10k?

Screenshot_20220530-142041_Chrome.jpg

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I know that Bangsumran fishing park is significantly cheaper as an expat rather than a tourist.

What is a Non O marriage visa? 400,000 baht, nearly £9000 UK is a large chunk of money sitting dead in a Thai bank account when it could be invested and growing. That is why I wanted to avoid the non O.

Initially I was thinking of a 60 day stay as that is the maximum length of stay I can get on an annual multi trip travel insurance.

Eventually I plan to stay permanently, assuming I can get a visa. I am a bit worried about the amount that has to be deposited to mainatain the retirement visa status. Just not ready to take my private pension until next year as I don't need to draw it. Unless that is I need to show the income to get a visa.

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

James,  I think you are confusing a Non O Visa with an extension of stay. The best route for you depends on how long you want to stay.

If its short term, you can obtain a Single Entry Non O at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home country or a country where you have legal residence. That would give you a 90 day stay which if legally married, you can extend by 60 days giving you 5 months. There are differing amounts that you need to show for that visa - from 0 upwards but nowhere near 400K.

Depending on where your Thai embassy/consulate is, you can also obtain a 12 month Multi Entry Non O Visa (MENO), again based upon legal marriage, which gives you unlimited stays in a 12 month period - each one is 90 days but again its extendable by 60 days.  If you time it right and make your last entry just before the expiry date of the visa you can actually make it last up to 17 months.

However, the number of embassies/consulates that offer a MENO is limited.  Most of the places that did/do offer MENO's were neighbouring or close to Thailand to the best of my knowledge - I got my last one in Ho Chi Minh City.  The requirements can different at each embassy/consulate. Some of those countries have only just opened up again following Covid restrictions and I don't think there have been any reports of MENO's being obtained in those countries yet.

If your local embassy/consulate has gone over to the e-visa system, they will only allow a Single Entry Visa based on marriage.

An extension of stay is where you enter the country, normally on a single entry route (I think this can be started from a 30 day exempt) and apply for a 12 month extension of stay based on either marriage or retirement. If successful you are granted the 12 month extension but you have to report to immigration every 90 days.  There are differing requirements for each type but for marriage its 400K in the bank or an income of 40k baht per month coming from abroad unless you have a work permit.  I think that's where you've got the 400k from.

I can probably just scrape the 40K baht monthly income from UK state pension depending of the exchange rate. Might have to top it up a bit.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

800k for retirement.

Perhaps I missed it.

From post #1 I asked....

On another reply I inticated that that I was thinking of a 60 day stay simply because the Annual multi trip insurance has a maximum trip length of 60 days. Probably thinking of coming and going depending on if any freelance work came up in the UK. But given the work situation after covid that seems highly unlikely.

If I am thinking of extentions or what ever then I will need a single or flexible ticket.

All this is academic at the moment as with UK based annual multi trip I don't see how I can get the damn Thailand pass.

11 hours ago, dontpanic said:

Hi, this is a screen capture from the Thai evisa site applying through UK for a non o single entry visa for being the parent of a Thai child. The option that was selected was the non o for visiting family ect. 

What I don't understand is why they are asking for the equivalent of 400k at this stage as apposed to when I apply for the extension in country after the initial 90 days?

That is an error on the e visa site. That is the amount needed for a non-o visa based upon retirement.

Upload a bank statement showing the equivalent of at least 20k baht and am sure it will be accepted.

• Thanks 1