Pick-up runs over unidentified older man lying down in the road and flees

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: 77kaoded

77kaoded reported on the death of an unidentified 55-65 year old man who was run over in Thepparak Road KM marker 1 in Muang district of Samut Prakan just after midnight this morning. 

The man had horrific head injuries. There were plenty of gawkers in attendance, some apparently taking pictures on their phones. 

The media had a video of the aftermath in which they interviewed a 22 year old motorcyclist called Thanawut.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

He said he had just missed the man who was lying in the middle of the road. He was riding back to help him out when he saw a pick-up travelling behind a taxi who went over the man then drove off.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

He immediately called the police who are hoping that CCTV will identify the pick-up driver. 

Laying in the middle of the street around midnight isn't the smartest thing to do.  That would be dangerous enough in full sunlight.

He may have been drunk or had some other medical problem.

• Thanks 1

I live round the corner from where this incident happened, so I know the road quite well.

As they are building the new skytrain track along this stretch of the Theperak, the road in many places of the dual carriageway is coned off to a single lane.

Sometimes the opposite lane crosses over, so that one side of the dual carriageway is not in service and traffic in both directions share the same side of the carriageway.

As a result, you have to weave about, no straight open lanes.

The signage is not very clear for this and I imagine that at that time of night it would be very easy to miss a lump on the road.

The driver should not have left the scene though.

As for the numpties who were taking 'social media' pictures, grrrrrrrrrr, idiots.

Edited by Bert got kinky

6 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Sometime if they are in the wrong they back up and hit you again leaving no witnesses. 

Yup....when I lived in Taiwan when they did it, they usually backed up / went over them again to make sure they died. This as it would be cheaper to pay the family compensation for a death than paying medical bills "plus compensation" for the rest of their lives of course!!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unfortunately, they're in public, they have the right to be there, the police have no authority to "move on" law abiding citizens.

They can tape-off the area... very far away.

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unfortunately, they're in public, they have the right to be there, the police have no authority to "move on" law abiding citizens.

They can tape-off the area... very far away.

Yes, they could, but they don't, so the public streets are accessible to anyone, anywhere, within reason.   

I don't condone the gawking, at all, but I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy if the RTP were able to tell you which part of the public pavement or which public street you could use.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 5/30/2022 at 8:15 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Hit and running is a national pastime. 

Different to the west, there is no penalty in the traffic code for it.

Depending on the situation it might actually be the more clever thing to do to avoid any potential altercation and drive right on to the next police station to report there.

For example, denting a tuk tuk in Phuket would count to me as such a situation where I would rather not stick around if at fault -- obviously not if there is any injury, or as in this case, likely death.

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, they could, but they don't, so the public streets are accessible to anyone, anywhere, within reason.   

I don't condone the gawking, at all, but I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy if the RTP were able to tell you which part of the public pavement or which public street you could use.

If I was at an accident scene taking photos/videos of the scene I'd expect the police to tell me to sod-off and stop being a morbid bast#rd.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They can't!

What a load of tripe.

This is Thailand, the police can do what they want, you ain't in Kansas now, Dorothy.

I'm not sure if you are new to Thailand or if you are one of those people are so arrogant that they believe that everyone else is wrong, judging by your other posts that I have seen on this board, I would say a bit of both.

You really do need to learn when to take your foot out of your mouth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 3:02 PM, vandeventer said:

Sometime if they are in the wrong they back up and hit you again leaving no witnesses. 

I know the former owner of a large logistics company in Thailand, one evening when we were all in our local bar in Sukhumvit in Bangkok, he was explaining to us that all his drivers were trained not to leave living witnesses, through a wry smile.

Still don't know if he was serious or not but we all took him on his word. 

• Haha 1

Saw another victim of of a road accident this morning on the Motorway 7 frontage road heading towards Laem Chabang. 

Guy had come off his bike and was lying supine receiving CPR from a rescuer, specifically chest compressions. He had a mouthpiece in which indicates to me that they had been at it for a while. There was a bit of blood next to his body and his damaged motorcycle was lying nearby. Could not ascertain if he had been wearing a helmet. It could have been removed by the rescuers. 

Poor guy, hope he survived but it did not look good.

I saw it as traffic filtered into a single lane to go around. Didn't really want to gawp but took a quick look as we moved past.