How is global warming affecting Thailand these days?

19 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

For those of you living there, have you seen an increase in floods, droughts, etc.. ?

This has been the wettest year since I arrived in 2009.

The other 12 years were much of a muchness.

Not sure if that's meaningful in any way.

• Thanks 1

@Hummin @Lacessit Thanks for your replies.

Do you guys know if solar and wind are gaining momentum in the country.

Have you seen solar farms or wind farms anywhere in Phuket?

Or maybe just solar panels on buildings?

Just curious...

3 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Just curious...

Cant say I saw anything of solar or wind farms in the south west. Alot up around Chaiyaphum, Petchabun Phitsanuluk.  Also smaller scale I saw on Koh Larn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Just curious...

I understand some EV purchasers in Thailand are putting solar panels on their houses to supplement commercial charging stations, I don't know how widespread that is. IMO a smart move, as the commercial stations may be non-functioning or occupied.

Chiang Mai, Lamphun and Lampang's electricity comes from possibly the dirtiest generator on the planet, the lignite mine at Mae Moh. Still a lot of it in the ground, don't see that power station closing any time soon.

• Thanks 1

This is quite interesting, but. I can not help to think about the increase of temperature when adding solar panels in a scale like this expecting it to actually contribute to lower the fossile usage. As well the need for resources and energy  producing. 

Solar power and wind I doubt is the future. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I understand some EV purchasers in Thailand are putting solar panels on their houses to supplement commercial charging stations, I don't know how widespread that is. IMO a smart move, as the commercial stations may be non-functioning or occupied.

Chiang Mai, Lamphun and Lampang's electricity comes from possibly the dirtiest generator on the planet, the lignite mine at Mae Moh. Still a lot of it in the ground, don't see that power station closing any time soon.

Installing solar at the house was the last motivator for us to get an EV (car) as already having an E-motorcycle & ebike.  Sadly we just bought a new car 20 months/30k kms ago, will be just over 2 yrs old/35k kms when the EV version of it arrives, hopefully ????

Plan on using most energy generated though.  Hopefully just enough to not need the grid.  Game plan anyway.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Another important factor is the optimal temperature for the panels, which the manufacture says is 25c or 77F, and that is not air temperature, but operating temperature. 

It also says some places optimal production is between 5 - 15c 

This is from Boston, but it seems like same standard as for Australie. 

Solar panels are generally tested at about 77°F and are rated to perform at peak efficiency between 59°F and 95°F. However, solar panels may get as hot as 149°F during the summer. When the surface temperature of your solar panels gets this high, solar panel efficiency can decline somewhat.

https://www.bostonsolar.us/solar-blog-resource-center/blog/how-do-temperature-and-shade-affect-solar-panel-efficiency/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

This is quite interesting, but. I can not help to think about the increase of temperature when adding solar panels in a scale like this expecting it to actually contribute to lower the fossile usage. As well the need for resources and energy  producing. 

I read recently about a farm in Australia, running merino sheep. According to the owners, wool production has increased significantly since a solar farm was installed on the property. Can only speculate as to the mechanism.

Sheep insulate themselves with their wool, believe it or not. While we use wool clothes to keep warm, the skin temperature of a sheep is a fair bit lower than the surface of the wool.

There is a $30 billion project called the Sun Cable which is connecting solar farms in the Northern Territory of Australia to Singapore, so some fairly wealthy people do not share your skepticism.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Hummin said:

This is quite interesting, but. I can not help to think the increase of temperature when adding solar panels in a scale expecting it to actually contribute to lower the fossile usage. As well the need for resources and energy  producing enough. 

I agree. Renewables aren't a panacea, that's for sure. Unless the entire production process is de-carbonized successfully, those technologies won't cut it.

Dunno if you ever heard of Vaclav Smil but he thinks natural gas is very likely to become the fuel of the 21th century. Best compromise between emissions and civilization's needs according to him.

CIA's last report mentions geoengineering as a way to mitigate climate change - a shield of particules in the high atmosphere. Seems radical but maybe we won't have a choice?

Didn't know that YT channel.

Interesting farming concept but for rich countries only I guess (fro now anyway).

Thanks ????

Edited by Baron Samedi
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I read recently about a farm in Australia, running merino sheep. According to the owners, wool production has increased significantly since a solar farm was installed on the property. Can only speculate as to the mechanism.

Sheep insulate themselves with their wool, believe it or not. While we use wool clothes to keep warm, the skin temperature of a sheep is a fair bit lower than the surface of the wool.

There is a $30 billion project called the Sun Cable which is connecting solar farms in the Northern Territory of Australia to Singapore, so some fairly wealthy people do not share your skepticism.

We can also insulate houses to keep them cold, and when hiking in the summer I also used whool because it have a excellent quality regulating temperature when get wet and keep biting bugs away.

Just imagine every city in the tropic insulated their houses like we do for cold winters, and how much energy they could save. But again it need more resources we maybe do not have.

Read this

https://manteco.com/4-reasons-why-you-should-wear-wool-in-hot-weather/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In Sahara and dry land like you have in Australia I agree it can create positive bi effects for the landscape to become productive. I'm sure the panels also will be or can be effective water producers during the night

Deforestation an issue. Other countries planting trees.

The earth is literally getting greener. Today, there is five percent more foliage than twenty years ago, and it is primarily ambitious tree planting projects and intensive agriculture, mainly in China and India, that are behind the increase. This is according to satellite data from NASA Earth Observatory.5 Mar 2021

https://www.warpnews.org/human-progress/nasa-the-earth-is-greener-now-than-it-was-20-years-ago/

13 minutes ago, vinci said:

i don't know what's affecting, but its hot as hell in Thailand maybe we need some snow here ????

When snow lays on the ground for 24 hrs, I might buy into Climate Change.

MMCC ... I'll never buy into.

Global Warming, yea, that's real, but 1° maybe, over the the next 200 yrs.  Nothing to be concerned about.  Just fear mongering to steal your hard earned money.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

When snow lays on the ground for 24 hrs, I might buy into Climate Change.

MMCC ... I'll never buy into.

Global Warming, yea, that's real, but 1° maybe, over the the next 200 yrs.  Nothing to be concerned about.  Just fear mongering to steal your hard earned money.

The planet has always warmed or cooled. Many cycles.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Deforestation an issue. Other countries planting trees.

The earth is literally getting greener. Today, there is five percent more foliage than twenty years ago, and it is primarily ambitious tree planting projects and intensive agriculture, mainly in China and India, that are behind the increase. This is according to satellite data from NASA Earth Observatory.5 Mar 2021

https://www.warpnews.org/human-progress/nasa-the-earth-is-greener-now-than-it-was-20-years-ago/

Planting trees in China won't prevent erosion in Thailand ????

54 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Didn't know that YT channel.

Interesting farming concept but for rich countries only I guess (fro now anyway).

Thanks ????

Or solar farmers rent land from growing farmers, farmers keep the dirt and also save solar farmers for keeping the farms from overgrowing of weed and trees. 

Benefit both parties. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

The planet has always warmed or cooled. Many cycles.

Yep, over millenia, what it hasn't done is warmed at a rate even approximating the past 200 years. The rate of increase of warming has not been seen for a very, very, long time. Not quoting the time period makes your statement misinformation, let alone the lack of substantiation.

Furthermore, the natural cycles would have the Earth's temperature cooling this past  100 years but human contributions to global warming has seen it increase instead.

Modern human civilization, with its permanent agriculture and settlements, has developed over just the past 10,000 years or so. The period has generally been one of low temperatures and relative global (if not regional) climate stability. Compared to most of Earth’s history, today is unusually cold; we now live in what geologists call an interglacial—a period between glaciations of an ice age. But as greenhouse-gas emissions warm Earth’s climate, it's possible our planet has seen its last glaciation for a long time.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been

Nor does the fact that it has been warmer in the past mean that future warming is nothing to worry about. The sea level has been tens of metres higher during past warm periods, enough to submerge most major cities around the world

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11647-climate-myths-its-been-far-warmer-in-the-past-whats-the-big-deal/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

There is no scientific consensus on that study.

But there is a scientific consensus on the meta-study called the IPCC report.

Global warming is very real, it is accelerating and it has nothing to do with the sun's activity. Otherwise it wouldn't get hotter but colder.

Can't believe we are still debating this shxt in 2022 ????

Edited by Baron Samedi
  • Thanks 1