Campaign to stop use of Thai numerals in official documents

webfact

What an interesting problem.

However, the OP doesn't make clear HOW the numerals "pose an obstruction to the use of digital documentation."

(I understand the wish to preserve national identity, but that doesn't explain how the numerals are alleged to be deficient.)

• Sad 1

Not sure how an electronic system could mix Thai and Arabic numbers. If the govt uses Thai numerals for general use but Arabic for money it could get confusing. 

So they'll have to change Thailand 4.0?

1 hour ago, jollyhangmon said:

... 'borrowed' from the ancient Cambos apparently ...

585375024_evolutionKhmernumeralsaka.traditionalTHs.jpg.a6557c0ee8f2407f812c2e25689bd897.jpg

Having grown up in Hong Kong I know a bit of Cantonese. The numbers in spoken Cantonese for 3 (Saam), 8 (Baat)and 9 (Gau) sound the same as in Thai.

• Like 1

585375024_evolutionKhmernumeralsaka.traditionalTHs.jpg.a6557c0ee8f2407f812c2e25689bd897.jpg

Sorry to nitpick but 'ancient' refers to the history of the civilizations of the Mediterranean area and the Near East up to the fall of the Western Roman Empire in AD 476.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, law ling said:

However, the OP doesn't make clear HOW the numerals "pose an obstruction to the use of digital documentation."

E.g.: can you build Excel tables, using formulas using Thai numerals?

Which commercial SW packages can handle Thai numerals for sorting, searching, formulas?

Serious questions. I don't know.

24 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Yes, please do stop using them to cheat innocent foreigners who have no idea what those numerals mean. This place, for example, is charging foreigners ten times what they want from Thais.

Indispensable application :biggrin:

There is a claim that the number "zero" (0) and its mathematical operation possibly came oroginally from India in 628 AD, then adopted by Arabs of Baghdad by 773 AD for complex mathematics. Logically, the number zero hen spread to Asia by traders.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Sorry to nitpick but 'ancient' refers to the history of the civilizations of the Mediterranean area and the Near East up to the fall of the Western Roman Empire in AD 476.

Roman's didn't use zero (0) in their numbering system. 

• Thanks 1

From the article:

He also claimed that, in 1942, then Prime Minister Pibulsongkram mandated the use of Arabic numerals to replace Thai numerals, but three years later, a new government under prime minister Khuang Abhaiwongse reverted to the use of Thai numerals.

The fuehrer managed a lot but failed with his attempt to reform the language :biggrin:

36 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

There is a claim that the number "zero" (0) and its mathematical operation possibly came oroginally from India in 628 AD, then adopted by Arabs of Baghdad by 773 AD for complex mathematics. Logically, the number zero hen spread to Asia by traders.

The Mayans already had the concept of zero 2,000 years ago.

They used it to precisely calculate their calendar which was more accurate than the Gregorian calendar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a true story and it happened to me, not a friend.

About 15+ years ago 5 friends and I were returning from Thailand to Ireland via Heathrow. We had an overnight stay in a hotel near LHR due to a late flight. We had prebooked and paid for the hotel.

We fancied a few pints in the residence bar, but I was the only one with cash (7 thousand Baht) and I also had a Credit Card that wasn't maxed. I asked at reception if they could change my Thai baht and the young lad in his early 20's on the night reception said yes after looking up whether it was a currency they could change.

I handed him the 7K baht and he started to count it. He said to me 63K, is that ok? He was looking at the back of the notes and thought they were 9,000 baht notes.

I said "No" turn them over, they are only 1K notes. The lad literally went white in the face when he realised his error and started thanking me profusely for telling him.

Off we went to the hotel bar and we ordered a round. I attempted to pay with the cash I had exchanged but was told it would be better to charge to room and pay with CC. That was Ok and we ended up having 5 or 6 pints each before calling it a night.

The thing is, the drinks were never charged to my room, so we had a free session.

• Haha 2