Woman seriously injured in brazen shooting in Chonburi - she was driving a Civic, assailants came up from behind on motorcycle

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Phan Thong police in Chonburi in central/eastern Thailand are investigating after what Thai Rath called a brazen drive-by shooting of a 53 year old woman who was driving a black Honda Civic with Bangkok plates. 

The incident happened on the Sukprayoon Road heading towards Phanat Nikhom at about 6.30 pm yesterday.

Apatsara, 55, was shot in the shoulder and through the cheekbones. There was evidence of two shots having been fired through the driver's window one of which exited through the windshield. 

The victim was taken in a grievous condition to a local hospital then transferred to Ekachon 1 hospital due to the seriousness of her wounds. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

A witness to the attack, Thada, 23, said he saw two men on a motorcycle come up from the rear of the Civic. The driver was in a full face helmet, the pillion passenger in a half helmet. 

He thought four or five shots had been fired. The car careered off the road and crashed while the assailants raced off in the direction of Phanat Nikhom. 

One 9mm bullet was found in the car, another was embedded in the victim's shoulder. 

Police said the reason for the shooting is under investigation though they speculated it was perhaps to do with a personal dispute. 

They are studying CCTV in the area to get a lead on the motorcycle and will interview the victim if and when she recovers. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 4

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Police said the reason for the shooting is under investigation though they speculated it was perhaps to do with a personal dispute. 

Only the best and the brightest are used for law enforcement here, apparently. A personal dispute. Wow. A stunning bit of detective work. 

But it could also have been mistaken identity, it does happen, but then the RTP are not that bright as you know

• Like 1

Well she pee'd off someone, pee'd off enough to order a hit on her. Probably a dirty business deal. And it's dumb to announce her current whereabouts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, potless said:

Under 24 hour police protection I hope. To me, it seems odd to announce where the victim can be found.

Freedom of press, sometimes they don't think too far ahead.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, potless said:

Under 24 hour police protection I hope. To me, it seems odd to announce where the victim can be found.

That would depend on her budget. You don't expect the BiB to work for free, do you?

• Like 1

Usually, it is the media that gives away all the details. The Thai media is famous for this sort of coverage. 

Probably a business conflict because a hired gunman on the back of a bike costs money.

14 hours ago, NE1 said:

Is it getting to a stage where only criminals wear crash helmets.......????

Face masks are a better and more readily accepted option. I always feel suspicious when I see motorcyclists with helmets on around here... thinking gunmen or debt collectors!

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 3:31 AM, potless said:

Unless a press statement like that is designed to set a trap. 

On 6/2/2022 at 4:45 AM, Stargeezr said:

Maybe a mafia hit, hence the 24 hours protection. My immediate thoughts.

24 hour hour protection by who, and against whom? They are one and the same. 

Edited by Leaver

On 6/4/2022 at 1:29 AM, Leaver said:

Unless a press statement like that is designed to set a trap. 

I cant believe that any police force anywhere in the world, would instigate a possible gunfight in a hospital.