Visa run Udon Thani to Nong Khai

Chiang Mai Immigration just gave me (well not actually gave) a 7 day visa and suggest I go to Nong Khai to get a tourist visa.

Questions:

• At Nong Khai I presume I must pass thru Thai immigration and stamp my passport. Do I have to officially enter Laos or can I turn around and re-enter Thailand from bridge between Laos and Thailand? 
  • How to get from Airport in Udon Thani to Nong Khai? How long does it take? Any idea of cost options?
  • How many days on current tourist visa now?
  • Any covid restrictions acquiring tourist visa in this manner.

kind regards

• Like 1

How long do you plan to stay in Thailand.

You are describing a border bounce but state "tourist visa"

Do you plan on obtaining a 60 day tourist visa or visa exempt entry 30 days.

Both options can be extended by 30 days in Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will have to re-enter Thailand so hence yes you will need to enter Laos and return.  @ubonjoe I am sure will confirm together with Thailand pass currently. There were vans running from Udon to Nong Khai, about an hourish journey, not sure of cost

• Like 1

(previous poster was faster)

You have to enter Laos. Depending on your nationality(?) you have to get a visa on arrival (cost somewhere between 30 to 45 USD). Few nations are visa exempt.

For entry to Thailand you need to apply for a Thai pass beforehand (vaccine cert, Covid insurance needed).

Transport from Udon to Nong Khai: public buses or vans from the bus station near Central shopping or taxi. Distance on the road about 60 km. Taxi less than one hour. No idea about cost.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Yes, you have to leave TH, enter Laos with a Laos visa, actually very easy to do on the Laos side.  Simply need your PP & USD or THB, cheaper with USD, or used to be that way.  I would avoid any touts on Thai side for Laos visa, as unnecessary.  You will need PP photos before entering Laos, for their visa.  Again, use to be required.

Since told to get a TV, suggest you go to embassy and apply for one.  Guessing your covid ext. was turned down, so you might not be allowed back in on a visa exempt stamp.  That's how I'm reading the IO's advice.   Better safe than sorry.  Besides, TV is for longer, and can be extended in TH.

Take what you need with you to get the TV.  Actually a very easy process, or used to be.  First one anyway, 2nd or 3rd TV may be scrutinized and or denied.  Enjoy a week in Vientiane, as I always enjoyed our visits.

1 hour ago, thairat said:

Chiang Mai Immigration just gave me (well not actually gave) a 7 day visa and suggest I go to Nong Khai to get a tourist visa.

If you only wanting to do a border crossing to get a visa exempt entry you do not have to travel all the way to Nong Khai to do it. You can do it at the bridge in Chiang Khong in Chiang Rai now.

You will need get a Lao Visa on arrival to enter Laos.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Don't bother with border run.

Get a 12 month ED visa.  52K Baht including all 90 day reports taken care of.

Flexible attendance and no language tests:

https://www.hand2handcombat.com/

The border run to Vientienne will cost you around 10K all up and it is only a short term solution.

No doubt you want to stay longer because you are in Luuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvv.

Is that actually legal ? Perhaps @ubonjoe could advice as I thought any VISA had to be obtained outside of Thailand in order to enter and extensions of stay were allowed in-country only

30 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Don't bother with border run.

Get a 12 month ED visa.  52K Baht including all 90 day reports taken care of.

Flexible attendance and no language tests:

https://www.hand2handcombat.com/

The border run to Vientienne will cost you around 10K all up and it is only a short term solution.

No doubt you want to stay longer because you are in Luuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvv.

And when you go to renew that ED visa, and IO officer is talking to you in simple Thai, and you can't answer him/her ... don't be surprised when that ED visa is denied.  Yes, that has happened, or so I've read.

Not an official IMM site:

https://immigrationbangkok.com/thai-education-visa/

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

The suggestion was to get a martial arts Non Ed. If the immigration official wanted to check his progress with his training, it would not be by testing his Thai. Make sure you go to a small female immigration official and you should be safe.

Speed reading past that link .... THANKS

Small female IO ... maybe ????

All great info,

my retirement visa was rejected, I inadvertently took money from my account, CM immigration suggested going to Nong Khai, getting a tourist visa then extending upon return to CM.

I thought “Thai Pass” was now passe.

I’m already booked to Udon.

I have recieved covid vaccines and am registered with Thai govt via phone app, is this enough.

Really I’m a long term resident, now I need Thai health insurance?

Special thanx to

HungerDonger

KhunLa

Ubon Joe

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And when you go to renew that ED visa, and IO officer is talking to you in simple Thai, and you can't answer him/her ... don't be surprised when that ED visa is denied.  Yes, that has happened, or so I've read.

Not an official IMM site:

https://immigrationbangkok.com/thai-education-visa/

You are spouting piffle.  The ED visa option I provided a link for is to learn self defence.  No language component whatsoever.  No language testing and flexible attendance.

Edited by Adumbration

5 minutes ago, thairat said:

Abolished only for Thai citizens.

Still needed for foreigners though simplified and quickly issued.

The hurdle is the Covid insurance.

I am not to well informed about it, I think you have to purchase 30 day coverage? There is a number of threads/posts about it.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Excel said:

Is that actually legal ? Perhaps @ubonjoe could advice as I thought any VISA had to be obtained outside of Thailand in order to enter and extensions of stay were allowed in-country only

I already provided links in another thread regarding this.  During covid they had arrangments in place to offer Non ED in country.  Not sure whether or not that offer still stands.  A friend of mine obtained two ED visas from two different organisations.  Both in country...fee was just increased to "fix" that issue.

5 minutes ago, thairat said:

All great info,

my retirement visa was rejected, I inadvertently took money from my account, CM immigration suggested going to Nong Khai, getting a tourist visa then extending upon return to CM.

I’m already booked to Udon.

I have recieved covid vaccines and am registered with Thai govt via phone app, is this enough.

Really I’m a long term resident, now I need Thai health insurance?

Special thanx to

HungerDonger

KhunLa

Ubon Joe

Just return on tourist visa then reapply for non O.  No insurance required for non O.  Tourist visa can be converted to non O.  I did exactly this previously.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Last year, 2 and 1/2 months after receiving my retirement visa, I withdrew some money out of my account, and went 5000 baht below the 400,000 minimum. Less than a month later it was again above minimum.

When attempting to renew my retirement visa they caught this anomaly and rejected my visa application. Chiang Mai big cheese said last year when my balance briefly went below the minimum, my retirement visa became invalid, and they could charge overstay charges from last year to date. They didnt but claimed they could.

50 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

You are spouting piffle.  The ED visa option I provided a link for is to learn self defence.  No language component whatsoever.  No language testing and flexible attendance.

That was pointed out to me, 15 minutes before you posted.

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Just return on tourist visa then reapply for non O.  No insurance required for non O.  Tourist visa can be converted to non O.  I did exactly this previously.

If he was intending on obtaining a non O retirement then why obtain a tourist visa, he could just reenter visa exempt..

I can't work out why he even applied for the extension as surely he can see if he qualified.

The OP also stated.....

"Really I’m a long term resident, now I need Thai health insurance?"

Sounds extremely poorly informed.

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

How long do you plan to stay in Thailand.

You are describing a border bounce but state "tourist visa"

Do you plan on obtaining a 60 day tourist visa or visa exempt entry 30 days.

Both options can be extended by 30 days in Thailand.

Thai visa .com in Bangers will be able to assist for sure, fine bunch of people they are and it will save an air fare, 2 taxi,s, a hotel or 2, the downside you will miss a night in Nong khai!!!!!!

Edited by Almer
Additional thoughts

11 minutes ago, Owiee said:

How to get from Airport in Udon Thani to Nong Khai?:

I drove to Nong Khai yesterday to visit some Thai friends, from Udon it took me about 90 minutes with a coffee stop. 

Forty five to fifty minutes is a typical, no-rush, non-stop transit. There's a long stretch of 2-way traffic due to road construction that can slow things down.

Minivans run direct from the airport but usually wait for a full load before doing the trip. Expect to pay extra if you are in a hurry.

FYI. There was also an air-conditioned bus service that does Udon to Vientiane and back several times a day. It was suspended due to Covid but is due to restart service on 15 June. In Udon, the buses leave from the main bus station near Central. In Vientiane, it's from the Capital Bus Station.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

If he was intending on obtaining a non O retirement then why obtain a tourist visa, he could just reenter visa exempt..

I can't work out why he even applied for the extension as surely he can see if he qualified.

The OP also stated.....

"Really I’m a long term resident, now I need Thai health insurance?"

Sounds extremely poorly informed.

some people just don't want to know the finer details. a few years ago a good friend who had been living in TH for a long time told me he had to go to Mae Sai for a "visa run". I said you mean a border bounce right because AFAIK there's no consulate up that way? he got real angry and shouted at me. "they're the same thing!" 

my mate probably "renews" his "retirement visa" every year too now that he's 50+.

dunno why you bother helping ungrateful people, just let 'em get on with it. let them go to Nong Khai, cross into Lao, oops "Lay-os" and get a "visa on arrival" when they come back into Thailand ????

20 hours ago, HungDonger said:

I went to Laos (via Udon Thani) 2 weeks ago and came back last week.

Here i the travel info.....

Udon Thani to Nong Khai- Mini-van from Airport to Friendship Bridge Nong Khai- 200 Baht ..leaves every hour. Book at kiosk inside terminal just before the Exit. Taxi available at call 900 Baht.

Thai Immigration- Outbound- Passport check & stamp. Bus over the Friendship Bridge- 35 baht.

Lao Immigration- Inbound- Go to window 2-acquire blank paperwork. Complete paperwork including passport,1 passport photo, Vaccination details and $U.S. 40 .Note- The new charges are $US 40 for all except 2 countries (China & Vietnam I think).Baht can be used but a worse exchange rate applies.

Wait at Window 5 for your completed passport stamp/visa

Laos Immigration-Outbound- Present passport and exit form-Get stamped out.

Pay 10,000 Kip for bus over Friendship Bridge.

Thai Immigration- Inbound-  Go to Ist Booth and provide Thaipass with Insurance & Vaccination Documents. Receive a printout from 1st booth.

Proceed to Immigration for passport stamp and STRICT (scanner & Sniffer dogs) baggage check.

Easy.

What vaccination details does Laos, immigration require?

39 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

so Vientiane is currently the best place to do a visa run at the moment? 

It is certainly one of the leading candidates. Mukdahan/Savannakhet is another possibility. If only needing a border bounce (not a new visa) there are other border crossings with Laos that may be more convenient, depending on location. We have yet to get much information on visa runs to Malaysia, but this might be far preferable for those in the South of Thailand. Finally, the crossing at the bridge at Maesot is open. Historically, this has been an excellent place for just a border bounce (no new visa, just visa exempt or new entry on a multiple entry visa). I suspect Maesot would be cheapest from Bangkok if just wanting a border bounce.