sending money uk to thailand, i don't get charged but gf does

hi all

my girlfriend has sent money from her wise account to her bangkok bank account . we both live in london uk. today she sent 1000 from wise and bangkok charged her 300tb .  i sent her 1000 and she was not charged anything

anyone know why ?

she wants to transfer money for a house purchase and wants to do it the cheapest way . i did read online that bangkok bank have a receiving fee of 0.25% ( not less than 200tb or more than 500tb ) . but why would she be charged for sending to her own account but they don't charge me ?

thanks

hi @treetops . i will check the pdfs

we both hold baht and pound in wise, and we both sent baht to her bangkok bank account . we have to go to the local atm in london to see her bangkok bank balance so we can't see charges, but we phoned BB in london and the lady said the 300 would be receiving charges . i have sent money to a few people in thailand and they always get the exact amount i send. no idea what is going on tbh . thanks for replying

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, brendan3150 said:

hi @treetops . i will check the pdfs

we both hold baht and pound in wise, and we both sent baht to her bangkok bank account . we have to go to the local atm in london to see her bangkok bank balance so we can't see charges, but we phoned BB in london and the lady said the 300 would be receiving charges . i have sent money to a few people in thailand and they always get the exact amount i send. no idea what is going on tbh . thanks for replying

Doesn't sound right, Bangkok Bank only charge for swift receipts, Wise nothing as it's a local transfer (sometimes shown as International for immigration purposes). Get the Bangkok Bank copy of transaction.

Option 2 is Bangkok Bank has started charging for Wise Intl transfers - but very unlikely

• Like 1

Could it possibly be due to the reason you selected for the transfer.

As I understand it if you select "funds for long term stay in Thailand", the money is sent in a slightly different way. This may make a difference as to whether a charge is made or not on the receiving end. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brendan3150 said:

we phoned BB in london and the lady said the 300 would be receiving charges

I suspect that the bank employee misunderstood what you were talking about, and that your gf wasn't really charged (since you haven't seen the actual transaction record yet).

Yes, there is a charge for receiving transfers from overseas, but Wise transactions are processed as local transfers in baht, so the fee doesn't apply. 

• Like 1

A wise transaction is an intra Thai one, as the money comes from their account here in Thailand and is not therefore a international transfer.

I use BBL and have never been charged for receiving into my account using wise from the UK.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brendan3150 said:

but we phoned BB in london and the lady said the 300 would be receiving charges

That would be if a normal transfer - Wise is not a normal transfer as funds come from an account already in Thailand.  Suspect you will find there was no charge when you actually check the account.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brendan3150 said:

hi all

my girlfriend has sent money from her wise account to her bangkok bank account . we both live in london uk. today she sent 1000 from wise and bangkok charged her 300tb .  i sent her 1000 and she was not charged anything

anyone know why ?

she wants to transfer money for a house purchase and wants to do it the cheapest way . i did read online that bangkok bank have a receiving fee of 0.25% ( not less than 200tb or more than 500tb ) . but why would she be charged for sending to her own account but they don't charge me ?

If it has not already been mentioned why don’t you just go to Bangkok bank in London and put the money into your account?

Unless that has been stopped, but I see no reason for that as a bank account in any bank is an account in any country where there is a branch of it.

I would be interested in the outcome of your attempts to do this and a price comparison if any although again there should not be any charge.

I have a friend in the U.K. who puts money in his BKK bank in London and uses it in Thailand for any purchase large or small.

An update on this would be appreciated, thanks

Bangkok Bank has a New York branch that’s commercial account not Personal business. You can send money using a Bangkok swift code and NY acts as the intermediate… may same UK? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RickyJB said:

I send money with wise every month for my son, granny and my adopted daughter. Never have they been charged. Sounds like crooked going ons 

How does that work?......I pay a 'fortune' every time I transfer money from my UK Bank to my Thai Bank!!

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

How does that work?......I pay a 'fortune' every time I transfer money from my UK Bank to my Thai Bank!!

Believe you may have misread - he has not been charged by Thai end.  But there is a Wise charge (although normally the good exchange rate make it among the best choices for normal transfers).  Just log onto Wise to see actual costs for any amount.

• Thanks 1

thanks very much guys

we did another test today . in the first test BB charged her 300 baht as when we filled out the wise reason i put "to buy a property" as that is what she is doing . today and every other time we have done it we put "sending to friends and family". no charge today or in the other times we have sent money

@JayClay thanks

@Jimjim1 we fly next friday . we don't have time to set up an account. next tuesday was the earliest appointment and then i think they said it takes a week to verify her or something like that . not sure what they would give as an exchange rate either .

thanks again everyone

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brendan3150 said:

thanks very much guys

we did another test today . in the first test BB charged her 300 baht as when we filled out the wise reason i put "to buy a property" as that is what she is doing . today and every other time we have done it we put "sending to friends and family". no charge today or in the other times we have sent money

@JayClay thanks

@Jimjim1 we fly next friday . we don't have time to set up an account. next tuesday was the earliest appointment and then i think they said it takes a week to verify her or something like that . not sure what they would give as an exchange rate either .

thanks again everyone

Sounds like Bangkok Bank have started charging for the manual "international" process they have to do, so that's reasons buying a property or long term stay. No other reports yet but should hear some soon

2 minutes ago, brendan3150 said:

i put "to buy a property" as that is what she is doing .

If she is buying there should not be any reason to list that reason as she can buy from any money that is hers - if you were buying as a foreigner (condo) then special paperwork would be required so suspect the 300 baht was to cover that cost.

Perhaps there were different payment methods chosen; Connected bank account (ACH), wire transfer, debit card, credit card, international wire.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like Bangkok Bank have started charging for the manual "international" process they have to do, so that's reasons buying a property or long term stay. No other reports yet but should hear some soon

There is no extra charge for long term stay - did such a transfer today.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no extra charge for long term stay - did such a transfer today.

Then it doesn't make sense, why would they charge 300 baht for buying a property but not long term stay, process for "International" is the same

5 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

I would bet you a pint that your lady's ATM card has been charged the 300 THB annual fee and the debit of that has coincided with the transfer.

I'd go with this.  I just checked my account and my "ATM/Debit Card Annual Fee" came off on 31st May which looks like it almost coincides with your transfer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimjim1 said:

I have a friend in the U.K. who puts money in his BKK bank in London and uses it in Thailand for any purchase large or small.

It's convenient and used to be a good method from what I've read, but since the existence of Wise and similar companies it's not the most cost effective.

9 minutes ago, treetops said:

I'd go with this.  I just checked my account and my "ATM/Debit Card Annual Fee" came off on 31st May which looks like it almost coincides with your transfer.

Except the 300 has been charged more than once

55 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If she is buying there should not be any reason to list that reason as she can buy from any money that is hers - if you were buying as a foreigner (condo) then special paperwork would be required so suspect the 300 baht was to cover that cost.

at the Bank they charge 100 baht for the letter so I don't think it's for that

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Except the 300 has been charged more than once

It's not 100% clear from the posts, but I think the 300 baht was only charged once on the original transfer.

OP:  Does "first test" at the start of this post mean first post in this discussion or first post today?

1 hour ago, brendan3150 said:

in the first test BB charged her 300 baht as when we filled out the wise reason i put "to buy a property" as that is what she is doing . today and every other time we have done it we put "sending to friends and family".

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sent Bht 50k via Wise to Bkk Bank yesterday. No extra charges

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

thank you .so when she sends the big money she doesn't need to say what it is for ?

will stating "sending to family or friends " be enough ?