Attending Thai language class twice ( each 2 hours) per week

Dear all,

Some Thai language schools say students have to attend class 2 days per week ( each 2 hours, total : 4 hours per week ). Another 2 schools say 4 days per week ( total 8 hours per week). One school says 3.  Which one is more advisable for immigration purpose?

Thanks

Edited by topswijaya
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

Hi.  The Thai language school I am attending is 4 hours (2 days, 2 hour classes) per week.  This has worked fine for me getting a non B Ed extension of stay for one year.

• Thanks 1

It depends on the relationship the school has with the local immigration office. Officially (as I recall) it is a minimum of eight hours per week, but four hours is often enough if the school has friendly relations with the officials, and none at all is sometimes possible.

• Thanks 1

The course I have signed up for is 2 days per week for 2 hours per day but I noticed the documentation the school gave me to submit for my visa showed the course was for 5 days per week for 4 hours per day!

Submitted to the Thai embassy in London on a Friday evening and the visa had been emailed by the time I woke on the Sunday morning so they must have liked it. 

• Thanks 1

I have to admit that I am totally confused.  I thought the purpose of attending a language school was to learn a language.  Is immigration now involved in language learning?  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CM Dad said:

I have to admit that I am totally confused.  I thought the purpose of attending a language school was to learn a language.  Is immigration now involved in language learning?  

Immigration's role is checking whether you meet the continuing requirements for the Non Ed visa and associated extensions. These depend on attending class, and there is a minimum number of hours you are supposed to attend class. It is a bit like the rule that you lose your extension based on having a Thai spouse if you divorce. Immigration is not involved in the divorce process in any way, but they are supposed to enforce the rule that your extension ends as soon as you divorce.

7 hours ago, CM Dad said:

It's called an education  visa  and exists  all over  the world in one form  or another. So now you know - no need to be 'totally  confused'