Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

51 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So you were technically discriminated against right?

Do you think farang are discriminated against more than Thais? 

I don't. 

Thai people have a strict hierarchical social system and discrimination is rife, especially in the business world. There is so much Nepotism/Cronyism. 

Farang have an advantage here as we don't reach the bottom rung of the social ladder. We can either accept it or fight it. I know what I do.

Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. 

When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation – some face of my life – unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.

The higher my expectations of the Thai people, the lower my serenity.

My serenity is inversely proportional to my expectations. The higher my expectations of other people are, the lower is my serenity. I can watch my serenity level rise when I discard my expectations. But then my 'rights' try to move in, and they, too, can force my serenity level down. I have to discard my 'rights,' as well as my expectations, by asking myself, 'How important is it, really? How important is it compared to my serenity?'

And when I place more value on my serenity than on anything else, I can maintain them at a higher level - at least for the time being."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Can someone tell the moderator that Google adds are blocking the screen really bad toda worse than I've ever seen 

Use DuckDuck Go browser

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I don't think your 150 years old, so no you were not alive when black men were given the right to vote in the US  and unless your older than 57 years of age you were around when black women were given the right in 1965 to vote.

This guy is always making inane statements to get us going. He is 6,4 ... I am scared... I wish he would stop posting but I get blocked and banned for trying to expose him.

5 hours ago, Dexxter said:

I agree. When my Thai wife and I go browsing in the local markets and she decides to look at clothes for herself, I always make sure I am out of sight from the vendor. That way she always gets a Thai price quote. If the vendor sees that she is with a foreigner the quote often doubles. Once the purchase is agreed I step in and hand her the correct amount. The disappointed looks on the vendors' faces are priceless. ????

You are verging on paranoia.........

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sungod said:

Not paranoia unfortunately, but the truth.  GF was looking at buying a pair of sunglasses at a shop in MBK here in Bangkok, she asked the price and he told her 600 baht because I was standing next to her.  We left and walked around for an hour more, she then changed shirts and walked back to him with her hair up as well, and with me not in sight, and she bought them for 300 baht....do you see the disparity that occurs, and oh my GF is from Myanmar she is not Thai but is perceived to be Thai by people she encounters.  The same occurs with other street vendors if I am near her.  The man who sells the hot corn tries to sell it to her for 40 baht an ear if I am with her, but when not for 20baht.....some ones taking the <deleted>.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sungod said:

I don't believe he is. My gf always used to shoo me away when she was browsing clothes at the Phuket night market for the same reason. Once she'd agreed the price she'd give me the nod and I'd come back to give my opinion on the piece of clothing she'd chosen before buying it.

Same reason, if she was 'mia farang' the price went up. And she was paying so she didn't want me there while negotiating. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not paranoia unfortunately, but the truth.  GF was looking at buying a pair of sunglasses at a shop in MBK here in Bangkok, she asked the price and he told her 600 baht because I was standing next to her.  We left and walked around for an hour more, she then changed shirts and walked back to him with her hair up as well, and with me not in sight, and she bought them for 300 baht....do you see the disparity that occurs, and oh my GF is from Myanmar she is not Thai but is perceived to be Thai by people she encounters.  The same occurs with other street vendors if I am near her.  The man who sells the hot corn tries to sell it to her for 40 baht an ear if I am with her, but when not for 20baht.....some ones taking the <deleted>.

I'd love to see a picture of you. Maybe you should change your shirt! (only kidding)

Years ago, I had a competition with my wife about who could get a tape player the cheapest. I won.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I don't believe he is. My gf always used to shoo me away when she was browsing clothes at the Phuket night market for the same reason. Once she'd agreed the price she'd give me the nod and I'd come back to give my opinion on the piece of clothing she'd chosen before buying it.

Same reason, if she was 'mia farang' the price went up. And she was paying so she didn't want me there while negotiating. 

These vendors pay around 30,000 baht a day for their pitch. 

You can't really blame them for wanting tourists only. 

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'd love to see a picture of you. Maybe you should change your shirt! (only kidding)

Years ago, I had a competition with my wife about who could get a tape player the cheapest. I won.

Slacks and a polo shirt worn most times except when conducting business.  Casual attire worn most other times when we travel.  Collared shirts or Henley's worn.  God to wear and Egg Stainer wife beater shirt to show of my Thai style Sak Yant tattoos would be amazing.  Dress respectively, and might be why they look at me with Dollar signs in their eyes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Way more important than your skin color is how clueless you seem to the vendors.

If I would send my girlfriend (Thai) to do random things in a tourist location, I'm 100% certain she would end up paying more than me.

Random sunglasses in MBK go for 100-200 baht, so your girlfriend was probably still overcharged, just not as much as you.

Your just hilarious.  You must be a true negotiator who slags of the vendors if you do not get what you want.  Its not about what you buy it for its the satisfaction in knowing that you did not get ripped off or made the vendor loose face.  I have lived in Thailand for to long to try and brow beat vendors like tourists try and do, as well as the ones folks call Cheap Charlies.  My guess is you negotiate your power bill with MEA or PEA because you believe it should be cheaper.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

its the satisfaction in knowing that you did not get ripped off or made the vendor loose face. 

I can't say I give a flying one about the vendors state of mind.

Obviously I don't want anyone's loose face to fall off, and would suggest they have a plastic surgeon attach it more securely.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think you lot are imagining things, has never happened to me.

Paranoia for sure, the Thais are all out to get us!

52 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Never had a problem myself, there has been times when she is on her own in a shop and I turn up and get a better price.

all to do with negotiation skills IMHO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sungod said:

I think you lot are imagining things, has never happened to me.

Paranoia for sure, the Thais are all out to get us!

Never said that now did I, it does occur, but you do not want to accept that fact....time to move along because your just trolling now.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never said that now did I, it does occur, but you do not want to accept that fact....time to move along because your just trolling now.

I get better prices than my wife at times, how do you explain that then?

Besides how can I be trolling when you are the one who replied to my post ????

Edited by sungod
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I hear you, been there but she'll reap the benefits of the system when it's time to get a job, especially if she gets a degree from abroad. 

Well my two luk krung kids both got their degrees abroad.  They both worked in Thai restaurants as servers to help finance their education.  The work experience was very valuable for them as neither had worked at a paying job before.  They didn't have any desire to return to Thailand.  They stayed in farang land are doing very well working in tech and commercial real estate.    

5 minutes ago, sungod said:

I get better prices than my wife at times, how do you explain that then?

Easy ..........

It's your money so she doesn't care how much it costs.

In some cases they actually negotiate to increase the price.

I once caught my Thai wife saying,

"Farang pays, double the price and give me 50% of the extra as 'cash back'"

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Old threads do not have the new news posted unfortunately, and this Hua Hin issue is new to the folks.

Sure it is! Like, 30 day reporting and documentation for extensions are new for every single individual and province. ????????????????????

But, on the other hand. What would life be without complaining? Wait a minute.....aah... like mine. Life is wonderful.

Edited by Gottfrid