Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

7 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Foreigner Pink ID Card ( from Yellow House Book) gets you Thai NP rates. No need to be Thai or Married to Thai. And maybe Thai Drivers License  ? 

Oh you’ve just corrected those misconceptions of mine ????naively base on reason ????????

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He is...  and he’s right, the dual pricing is not based on race. But it is based on nationality and that in itself is wrong. 

IF there is to be any dual pricing the only manner in which it is justifiable or acceptable (IMO) is if it is based solely on residency (as it is anywhere else in the world).

If a foreigner  resides in Thailand , they are required/expected to have an income of fives times the local Thai income .

Westerners are expected to be able to pay 400 baht to enter a National park 

18 hours ago, Thechook said:

If we thought of doing this in Australia we would be branded racist and face fines.  No matter where you come from even Thailand you pay the same as locals.

I hate to be the one to break this to you champ but Straya ain't same same Thailand. Thank heavens! ????

If we thought of doing this in Australia we would be branded racist and face fines.  No matter where you come from even Thailand you pay the same as locals.

When entering the Sydney Opera house , Australian pensioners get charged a discount rate , whilst Thai pensioners have to pay the full price

Why would you be considerded racist...it local and foreign... If you were targeting a specific group like the Chinese, then yes. 

Australian Nation parks charge more entrance fee to foreign pensioners, more than they do Australian  pension .

Dual pricing for Australian National parks as well

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/passes-and-fees/discount-and-concession-passes#pensioner-and-veterans-concession-annual-pass

Who is eligible to apply for a NPWS Concession Pass

Australian Pensioner Concession Card holders

Who isn’t eligible for a NPWS Concession Pass

• International pensioner or seniors card holders

43 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Wrong. Foreigner Pink ID Card gets you Thai NP Rates. Nothing to do with Race or Nationality only Registered Home Residence. 

Wrong.. It does not in ‘every national park’... neither does a work permit. 

The Pink ID has worked in Samet. It didn’t work in Trat.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK.. how...   IF someone is married but not working in Thailand ?

Foreigner Pink ID Card ( from Yellow House Book) gets you Thai NP rates. No need to be Thai or Married to Thai. And maybe Thai Drivers License  ? 

The question was in response to Neeraman suggesting its easy to get Thai Citizenship... 

It isn’t if we don’t work here and can’t provide 3 years of tax records. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If you want the discounted price, get citizenship, it ain't hard if you are married to a Thai. 

• Like 1

I can read a little Thai and at a tourist attraction near Hua Hin a few years ago I noted that the English sign read low price for children high price for adults, while the Thai sign read the same low price for Thais and the same high price for foreigners. The dishonesty is what I find disgusting more than the actual dual pricing itself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thailand is a developing country. 

The US is not. 

In my lifetime, black US citizens couldn't vote. 

I can't believe it when Americans here moan about discrimination. 

Who is brave enough like Rosa Parks, who wasn't even allowed to sit at the front of a bus. 

Thai people are so much more accommodating to foreign people and those of different ethnicity. 

If you want the discounted price, get citizenship, it ain't hard if you are married to a Thai. 

I was agreeing with you until the last paragraph which is total BS. It is NOT easy at all. Where the hell did you come up with that?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Australian Nation parks charge more entrance fee to foreign pensioners, more than they do Australian  pension .

Dual pricing for Australian National parks as well

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/passes-and-fees/discount-and-concession-passes#pensioner-and-veterans-concession-annual-pass

Who is eligible to apply for a NPWS Concession Pass

Australian Pensioner Concession Card holders

Who isn’t eligible for a NPWS Concession Pass

• International pensioner or seniors card holders

IF the foreign pensioner is a local resident ????? 

58 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

"duel pricing" is a thing here. build a bridge and get over it.

Very narrow minded of you... The very reason many things are easier for you here is because others chose to ‘pave the way’ instead of build a bridge and getting over it... 

TM30 is just one example... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:
3 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Same as some golf courses and castles in Scotland. 

Its not quite the same.....   The golf courses and castles in Scotland and campers from within the state (example above) are charged the the local resident rate regardless of nationality. 

Thus: IF Thai person or person of any nationality lives in the area and can show they live in the area they will not be charged out out state / province fees - they receive equal treatment with other residents, thus there is no inequality based on nationality race... 

All of these examples are so easy to dispel and do nothing to justify Thailands dual pricing based on nationality as being morally correct or tasteful. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF the foreign pensioner is a local resident ????? 

I don't think that Foreign pensioners in Australia would be able to get residency , they wouldn't be able to get a visa for any length of time , just a temporary tourist tourist visa  

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If a foreigner  resides in Thailand , they are required/expected to have an income of fives times the local Thai income .

Westerners are expected to be able to pay 400 baht to enter a National park 

I have not had to prove income in any of my Visa’s to Thailand. 

But, if your point is that foreigners are weather than Thai’s and paying more is justifiable... thats also flawed... the vast majority of my Wife’s friends are far far wealthier than I... (disgustingly so).... 

Again... none of your comment offers any reasonable justification for dual pricing, it simply offers an excuse which is different.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't think that Foreign pensioners in Australia would be able to get residency , they wouldn't be able to get a visa for any length of time , just a temporary tourist tourist visa  

If they are married to an Australian ??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

When entering the Sydney Opera house , Australian pensioners get charged a discount rate , whilst Thai pensioners have to pay the full price

What if those Thai’s have lived and worked in Australia and gained PR status ?

(in fact after 4 years of PR they can apply for citizenship) 

You have used Australia as an example to highlight dual pricing exists and have actually highlighted that Australia offers far better rights for its foreigners who live there (and entered while working or with family). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The 7 stage falls at Erawan are worth the extra money I have to admit, it’s a great hike and swimming with the fish is very relaxing.

The Sai Yok falls about 50 km from there are wonderful also , next to the road so no hiking and free entry also !!

Here’s me getting a free water massage :

3D83277B-280E-4239-8348-924F8520BD4A.jpeg.f3040fd24805e06de35fb97de67eeed5.jpeg

If don't mind queuing to gt up there!

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I hate to be the one to break this to you champ but Straya ain't same same Thailand. Thank heavens! ????

I’m not from Oz but know they have multiple tier pricing at golf courses at least, favoring locals. 

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree... and with things like dual pricing I don’t let them impact my day.... 

But, I have an opinion... and when people suggest or present excuses or justification for dual pricing based on national or any other reason except residency I find it easy to highlight the flaws.

Again... just because something are better here it does not make dual pricing based on nationality any less distasteful - its an opinion but it doesn’t alter my enjoyment of being here. 

-------

I do remember nipping down to Pattaya with my GF (Ex) about 16 years or so ago... 

We’d been wakeboarding and decided to stay the night....  we rocked up at a hotel, she jumped out and went to reception while I parked the car and grabbed the bags (we were still in wet clothes). 

When I walked in she was then informed the price would be more because I am a foreigner !!!... 

We argued with the staff, spoke with the manager who then offered us Thai price - then we left !!

This level of dual pricing I will not tolerate. 

We then went to another hotel and were given a discount (ex was a flight attendant).

Yeah, any dual pricing in the private sector is intolerable I would say. Public services different as Residency & Citizenship / Tax Status must play its part.

Never saw govt. hospital pricing as DP for example. There seems one tariff & you pay it or not based on your health insurance cover.

17 hours ago, Elkski said:

I would love to see the US national parks charge all foreigners  10x.  What is Disney now 160$ /day so 1600$ and many parks are 20$  so 200$

. Would love it

all foreigners? Are you native American?

• Haha 1