Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I contribute to the Thai society by living here, but that is what I get for living here, that said, it's part and parcel of staying anywhere in the world, you get what you pay for, so I don't expect any special treatment, suffice to say I won't spit the dummy over dual pricing, I simply stay away from it.

So, by the same reasoning the Thai people also contribute to society by living here. So much for that argument.

And, as in any society, we expats are free to pay for things we want and ignore what we don't want.

Personally, dual pricing is irrelevant to me because what are called 'tourist attractions' here interest me not a whit, and I won't visit them once let alone twice.

At the end of the day the fees are pocket change anyway and hardly worth getting your nose bent about.

I know: "but it's the principle of the thing ".

The principle of the thing is that it's still pocket change.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WHansen said:

I was caught out numerous times when i first started exploring TL years ago, national parks, products from markets etc, all it has done is make me very untrusting of Thais.

The extra cost is nothing to worry about for most of us but what many of us don't like is having the p... taken.

These days i just don't care about supporting the locals like i once did, and whenever possible choose a 'farang' shop or establishment to spend my money in.

A tad bitter i know, but you just get sick and tired of the constant lying and cheating in the land of scams.

Same here. I used to go out of my way to support the local Mom and Pop style businesses, or the market vendors, street food sellers etc. even when it was less convenient for me.

Until they inevitably started trying to rip me off and then I switched to the likes of Tesco where we all customers pay the same price irrespective of race.

Same as I used to go to the parks and spend cash there when they used to accept a drivers licence to pay the local rate. Haven't been in years now.

They really do shoot themselves in the foot sometimes.

37 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It's not a view it's the reality and how Orange County allowed them certain concessions. The truth if the matter is it happens in very few places in the US, where here its an everyday occurrence whether buying food off o

38 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It's not a view it's the reality and how Orange County allowed them certain concessions. The truth if the matter is it happens in very few places in the US, where here its an everyday occurrence whether buying food off of a cart or travelling to a park or other venue.  Tell me I am wrong....

You seem to have a neutral view on cheaper prices for locals as opposed to outer state visitors in the US.

However travel to a 3rd world country and you will criticize any regime that would charge locals less than tourists (Mainly coming from affluent 1st world countries)

Its not wrong just a little confusing. why would you NOT want to give them a little bit more, especially considering the prices are much lower than equivalent excursions on your home country/

Price for blood pressure pills in Pattaya, 700B.  Price outside Pattaya, 400B.  

Thai price for banana pancake, 20B.  Foreigner price 40B.

Thai price for street fruit, 10B.  Foreigner price, 20B

I can afford it but am sick of dual pricing.  Cost of health ins. getting to absurd levels with eye watering deductables.

Gettin ready to leave Tland.  Hope others are too.

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Sporting event ... to watch a bunch of overpaid cry babies kneel ... that would never happen.

Never been forced to pay more than any local for any mandatory services.

You do realize that not athletes kneel, don't you? Also, aren't many actors as well as musicians drastically overpaid?

So you get the 30 THB healthcare program just like all Thais, nice.

Cool story, when will you be moving?

6 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

You do realize that not athletes kneel, don't you? Also, aren't many actors as well as musicians drastically overpaid?

So you get the 30 THB healthcare program just like all Thais, nice.

Cool story, when will you be moving?

Tourist & guest, even myself, don't get free healthcare in my home country, so why would I expect it here.  

Except on principle, dual pricing is just wrong, it doesn't affect me at all, I don't think.

1 hour ago, ed strong said:

Apart from a few folk on here that live in Thailand and have thai wives / gf no one else cares or could care a less about 'dual pricing' Its cheap anyway so just pay and get on with it.

Ive been Thailand many many times with many different people and no ones ever moaned about 'dual 'pricing' If you go somewhere with a Thai and its cheaper just think of if it as you getting an overall discount on the bill. If you'll started whinging like you do on here, no one would want to go with you anyway so the bill will be even cheaper! Joke.

Your assessment is completely wrong. A study back in 2007 showed that the dual pricing deterred visitors.

It also isn't cheap - a couple of days in ANY national park, whether a waterfall of the biggest in the country is otfen more expensive than staying in a 4 star hotel.... and ten there is accommodation on top.

the fact is that no-one cares amongst visitors because they don't want to go with the dual pricing. If it was removed it is predicted visitor numbers would increase and income for national parks themselves would increase.

You are aware how the parks are funded?

Basically it isn't by entrance fees alone, they have government finding. Unfortunately any new parks have been set up and opened but the overall funding isn't increased. Wages for employees are so low that often the only way they cn survive is by accepting bribesfrom or helping poachers and other illegal activity.

The NPs are the last remaining major natural resource at Thailand's disposal and the need to be competently and professionally managed for conservation - dual pricing is just one symptom of how the entire National Park Sytem is mismanaged and damages both the country's conservation effects and reputation as a tourist destination.

PS - I first visited Thailand in the early 1990s and lived and worked there for nearly 20 years. I've stayed at NPs all over the country and taken people on tours there - one of the main obstacles has always been sorting out the fees for visiting or staying there.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Tourist & guest, even myself, don't get free healthcare in my home country, so why would I expect it here.  

Wait a minute, we are talking dual pricing.

In Thailand Thais get 30 THB healthcare whereas everyone else doesn't. Isn't that dual pricing?

And in your home country a Thai will pay just as much as you, so what's your point? 

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I never get overcharged at National Parks because until they stop the rip offs I won’t go. Some years ago at a travel fair I was looking at dinner cruises in BKK, the person at the booth was keen to sell me tickets at the normal whilst advertising 50% off.

Some would consider not getting to go to a place you'd like to go.......... just another form of "paying too much." 

I mean, if you didn't want to go there anyway, the point is moot. But if you DID want to go there and now you won't/can't.......... because of the dual-pricing.......... you're still paying. You're just paying in a different way! 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dingdongrb said:

Wait a minute, we are talking dual pricing.

In Thailand Thais get 30 THB healthcare whereas everyone else doesn't. Isn't that dual pricing?

And in your home country a Thai will pay just as much as you, so what's your point? 

No point ... in continued discussion on apple & orange comparison.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Your assessment is completely wrong. A study back in 2007 showed that the dual pricing deterred visitors.

It also isn't cheap - a couple of days in ANY national park, whether a waterfall of the biggest in the country is otfen more expensive than staying in a 4 star hotel.... and ten there is accommodation on top.

the fact is that no-one cares amongst visitors because they don't want to go with the dual pricing. If it was removed it is predicted visitor numbers would increase and income for national parks themselves would increase.

You are aware how the parks are funded?

Basically it isn't by entrance fees alone, they have government finding. Unfortunately any new parks have been set up and opened but the overall funding isn't increased. Wages for employees are so low that often the only way they cn survive is by accepting bribesfrom or helping poachers and other illegal activity.

The NPs are the last remaining major natural resource at Thailand's disposal and the need to be competently and professionally managed for conservation - dual pricing is just one symptom of how the entire National Park Sytem is mismanaged and damages both the country's conservation effects and reputation as a tourist destination.

PS - I first visited Thailand in the early 1990s and lived and worked there for nearly 20 years. I've stayed at NPs all over the country and taken people on tours there - one of the main obstacles has always been sorting out the fees for visiting or staying there.

Reading you post, I'm reminded of movie theater concession stands. Lol

See what you think......... 

Movie theater concession stands are an almost perfect example of how Supply and Demand affect pricing, and how market forces work. 

Virtually everyone who wants to buy snacks at a movie theater complains about

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, this is great! Now all members got together again and can say how unfair life is.

Nobody has said life is unfair, what is being discussed is how dual pricing is not good for tourism for those who want to visit places.  Sure some may pay it, I did, because it is what it is, but unfair no, unless you want to troll and bait some more, now that's not fair to the discussion ongoing is it....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Nobody has said life is unfair, what is being discussed is how dual pricing is not good for tourism for those who want to visit places.  Sure some may pay it, I did, because it is what it is, but unfair no, unless you want to troll and bait some more, now that's not fair to the discussion ongoing is it....

Maybe not, but this is something that we all know, and still the same discussion over and over again. Better to continue an old thread about the same thing.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Maybe not, but this is something that we all know, and still the same discussion over and over again. Better to continue an old thread about the same thing.

Old threads do not have the new news posted unfortunately, and this Hua Hin issue is new to the folks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's the principal.   OF COURSE.

Skin color?          see price

Passport?        see price

Sexual orientation?   see price

Even if someone with a different skin color has to pay 1 satang more......the Earth could end up fighting!!!   It has happened before.

my dear falang.....take the high road, write to your president in your home country, embassies, politicians, and demand equality!!

1 minute ago, Iamfalang said:

It's the principal.   OF COURSE.

Skin color?          see price

Passport?        see price

Sexual orientation?   see price

Even if someone with a different skin color has to pay 1 satang more......the Earth could end up fighting!!!   It has happened before.

my dear falang.....take the high road, write to your president in your home country, embassies, politicians, and demand equality!!

You don't pay more because of your skin color, you pay more because you are not Thai.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Personally, dual pricing is irrelevant to me because what are called 'tourist attractions' here interest me not a whit, and I won't visit them once let alone twic

Me too.

54 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Reading you post, I'm reminded of movie theater concession stands. Lol

See what you think......... 

Movie theater concession stands are an almost perfect example of how Supply and Demand affect pricing, and how market forces work. 

Virtually everyone who wants to buy snacks at a movie theater complains about

sorry, I have no idea what you are getting at. Please explain.

1 hour ago, Randy99 said:

Price for blood pressure pills in Pattaya, 700B.  Price outside Pattaya, 400B.  

Thai price for banana pancake, 20B.  Foreigner price 40B.

Thai price for street fruit, 10B.  Foreigner price, 20B

I can afford it but am sick of dual pricing.  Cost of health ins. getting to absurd levels with eye watering deductables.

Gettin ready to leave Tland.  Hope others are too.

the differences you mention are for single purchases and mouth to about twice the price. The national parks are up to TEN TIMES the basic price.

• Like 1

As most of us do not pay taxes in Thailand, I feel the dual pricing for parks is OK.  I don't mind.  The parks are very nice.

But on the street for food or buying other things it makes me angry when a Thai raises his price as he think foreigners have more money.  I just don't buy from these people.  It does not take long to learn the "Thai" prices.

31 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

As most of us do not pay taxes in Thailand, I feel the dual pricing for parks is OK.  I don't mind.  The parks are very nice.

My Wife doesn’t pay tax in England.. She or any other Thai can use the National Parks for free....

... well, not 100% free, they may have to pay exactly the same as everyone else for parking... 

Dual pricing based on nationality alone is wrong - I have never seen any situation where that is acceptable. 

Dual pricing based on ‘residency’ is acceptable where any local residence receives the same ‘discount’ as any other local resident. 

I have never read of one argument to justify dual pricing which is not based on flawed logic and cannot easily be picked apart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1