Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thais get a reduced price

How I view this is the normal price is (say) 200 THB but the Thai government gives a 90% discount to Thais to encourage them to visit & I don't see anything wrong with that.

Claiming racial/xenophobic discrimination because I'm not Thai & have to pay the higher price would be like claiming age discrimination because I'm at an age where I can't get Student or OAP discount when using UK public transport.... I don't believe I'm being negatively discriminated against,  but rather it's positive discrimination to help these groups of people (who in general make a lot less money than the age group between) to use public transport. 

At the end of the day, if the experience isn't worth the cost then simply don't go but to me places like Koh Samed & Similan Islands are well worth the 200/100 THB to visit.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 3:54 AM, webfact said:

He said the agency wants to introduce an identity card for expats, helping to distinguish them from tourists so they will be charged the same price as locals

A resident is a resident, so an expat who lives here is a resident.  However, the Thai government and the majority of Thais look upon foreigners as tourists and so the issue is one of nationality which is a discriminatory practice.  End of story.  I pay the price if asked, if my local ID card, pink non Thai ID or license gets me the discount, that so many on here post Thais are getting, then so be it. But it should be a resident fee, and tourist fee which expats who live here, who own houses with their Thai family or own freehold Condominiums, and have families, as well as help the economy by living in the country should be given, and viewed as a resident and not a tourist.  Sure some can pay the extra fees, but then why make it a discriminatory practice that puts so many off.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Make this short 31+ years ago went to a Thai national Park, with my Thai wife and our daughter. Wife free, Daughter free, although she did not have any Thai looks, all Farlang. For Me they want 200 + THB . We turn around and left have never again gone to any place that will charge me more the the nornal Thai would be charged. Go shoppping in the market if price is not shown do not purchase. The End 

Edited by Dickp
spelling error and word left out
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:50 AM, Thunglom said:

Read my posts - I'm seriously concerned about how the national parks are managed, and as I've already said, the dual pricing system is a manifestation of the overall mismanagement of the nation; parks.

you realise that this is not the only way the parks are funded?

I'm not interested in how the nations parks are funded and i don't care about paying a few quid to get into one.

Its Thailand the whole place is 'mismanaged'

• Like 1

There is no doubt this is racist. 

Many officials in Thailand still believe the myth that Thailand is so very special for foreign tourists -- unlike anyplace in the world -- that they will put up with being treated like fools just for the privilege of being in Thailand.  National parks and other places have gotten away with it in part by signs (like the one at the top of this thread) only in Thai so most tourists don't even know they're being gouged.  They just pay what they're told to pay.  I've visited a couple of national parks in Thailand, and they were nice enough, but I have no interest in visiting any more until those in change end this sort of xenophobic insult.

• Like 2

Only the ones that every one gets in free. Money was never the issue, I have enought and will not spend it all before I die.  It's just Thai's thinking I own it to them enoughing more, just that simple. Moved here 16 June 1991, been in the same house in BKK, shopped the same local stores ect, just don't think I own you anything just because I'm not Thai. 

2 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Many officials in Thailand still believe the myth that Thailand is so very special for foreign tourists -- unlike anyplace in the world -- that they will put up with being treated like fools just for the privilege of being in Thailand.  National parks and other places have gotten away with it in part by signs (like the one at the top of this thread) only in Thai so most tourists don't even know they're being gouged.  They just pay what they're told to pay.  I've visited a couple of national parks in Thailand, and they were nice enough, but I have no interest in visiting any more until those in change end this sort of xenophobic insult.

So if the authorities raised to price of National Parks to 400 Baht for everyone, Thais and Foreigners , if Thais had to pay 400 Baht as well , you would then to to Parks ? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JTXR said:

No, I don’t think its racist - calling this racist dilutes the genuine issues of racism we see in the world. 

It is Nationalistic and as such is somewhat distasteful when ’theoretically’ welcoming foreign residents, workers and retirees.

The official stance on dual pricing is extremely clumsy. 

3 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Agreed.... it does come across as somewhat xenophobic - It highlights that Thailands leaders lack a certain degree of worldly refinement and civility, such policies are typical of the underdeveloped thinking we see in nations which are classified as ‘developing’... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So if the authorities raised to price of National Parks to 400 Baht for everyone, Thais and Foreigners , if Thais had to pay 400 Baht as well , you would then to to Parks ? 

What is so special about 400 baht?  If the price were the same for everyone -- or if Thai citizens were given a reasonable (say 25-50%) discount and signage was in several languages and the fee structure therefore transparent -- I'd consider it.

20 minutes ago, JTXR said:

What is so special about 400 baht?  If the price were the same for everyone -- or if Thai citizens were given a reasonable (say 25-50%) discount and signage was in several languages and the fee structure therefore transparent -- I'd consider it.

OK, so if Thais had to pay 200 Baht and you had to pay 400 Baht , you would then to to National parks .

So you dont mind paying the entrance fees , its Thais paying a lot less that you dont like

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ed strong said:

I'm not interested in how the nations parks are funded and i don't care about paying a few quid to get into one.

Its Thailand the whole place is 'mismanaged'

So you are not in a position to comment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

So you are not in a position to comment.

Of course I am, I opppse the statement and there's nothing wrong with paying more than a local for certain services.

You are a visitor in another country, a 3rd world one at that. You can't keep comparing your country to theirs.

Stop whinging you won't change anything only frustrate yourself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Dickp said:

Only the ones that every one gets in free. Money was never the issue, I have enought and will not spend it all before I die.  It's just Thai's thinking I own it to them enoughing more, just that simple. Moved here 16 June 1991, been in the same house in BKK, shopped the same local stores ect, just don't think I own you anything just because I'm not Thai. 

Have you made any effort to integrate/assimilate?

Surely, after 30 years you can speak fluent Thai which gets you in most places cheaper, esp if with Thais.

What does your Thai family think of you(and them) not going to any National Parks where they get in for a discounted price?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

OK, so if Thais had to pay 200 Baht and you had to pay 400 Baht , you would then to to National parks .

So you dont mind paying the entrance fees , its Thais paying a lot less that you dont like

Edited by Neeranam
  • Sad 1

On 6/6/2022 at 6:29 AM, mogandave said:

Dual pricing is routine in the US. 

Surprisingly the majority of United States National Park units are free to enter all year long.  Only 116 of the 419 National Park Service units charge any sort of entrance fee.  Admission to these parks can range from $5 per person to $35 per vehicle. The national park entrance fees are used to help offset the costs to run that park.  Typically 80% of each national park fee is used in the park it is paid.

• On average National Park admission is $30 per vehicle
  • On average National Monument is $10 per person or $20 per vehicle.
  • On average other sites cost $10 per person.

annual fees are around $30 to $70

A Thailand national park at 500 baht = 5 entires  = 2500 baht = $73.00

• Like 1

Thailand has got it wrong in promoting their national heritage - it's as if they don't want people to see it....

The majority of United States National Park units are free to enter all year long.  Only 116 of the 419 National Park Service units charge any sort of entrance fee.  Admission to these parks can range from $5 per person to $35 per vehicle. The national park entrance fees are used to help offset the costs to run that park.  Typically 80% of each national park fee is used in the park it is paid.

On average other sites cost $10 per person.

On average National Park admission is $30 per vehicle

On average National Monument is $10 per person or $20 per vehicle.

The UK has very few National parks and the criteria are not the same as for those in Thailand.

However when it comes to charging foreigners to see their national heritage, they ae considerably more open and generous.

Here is a list of some of the museums that are eFREE to enter,,, and this is in London alone

·       1. British Museum

·       2. National Gallery

·       3. Museum of London

·       4. Royal Academy of Arts

·       5. Natural History Museum

·       6. Science Museum

·       7. IWM London

·       8. National Maritime Museum

·       9. Victoria and Albert Museum

·       10. Tate Modern

·       11. Tate Britain

·       12. Guildhall Art Gallery and Roman Amphitheatre

·       13. Wellcome Collection

·       14. Queen's House

·       15. Sir John Soane's Museum

·       16. Horniman Museum and Gardens

·       17. London Mithraeum

·       18. British Library

·       19. National Army Museum

·       20. Royal Air Force Museum

·       21. The Wallace Collection

·       22. Museum of London Docklands

·       23. Young V&A

·       24. Bank of England Museum

·       25. Whitechapel Gallery

·       26. Serpentine Galleries

Edited by Thunglom

My Thai family  is my wife and daughter andmy wifes sisters and brother, along with their old childen. They agree with me, Plus they all have more money then my wife a me have, and we are well off. If they what go so be it, I don't care. Our daughter and herfamily come here from the USA 2 to 3 times a year, like it and go where ever they what, she is free of charges to get in the rest must pay the higher price. Do they like, No dose it stop them from going some want, but if they really want to go they do, it's not about the money poeple it's the way the Thai goverment belease they can get more money, but they are really are losing out in that case. We have been everywere we wanted to go here, nothing more to see here the rest of the world is where we are going to see..

13 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

BTW - is it 200/500 per day or per visit?

It varies... 

For example... Enter Samet and we pay as we get off the Ferry.. its per entry.

Or the National Park Forestry guys ‘catch’ those who are arriving by speed boats (with baggage), again per entry. 

BUT, before they had the entry booth after getting off the ferry they used to charge at the entrance to Sai-Keaw...  I remember a group of Chinese Tourists arguing that they had already paid yesterday (they had been to 7-11 which is just outside the entrance)....  National Park Forestry guys were trying to stitch them up to pay again.

So... I guess its down to the description of the National Park Forestry officers. 

i.e. per-entry, IF you are staying inside the Park...  or if you want to return the next day you have to pay to enter again *(unless you show yesterdays ticket and they accept that).

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It varies... 

For example... Enter Samet and we pay as we get off the Ferry.. its per entry.

Or the National Park Forestry guys ‘catch’ those who are arriving by speed boats (with baggage), again per entry. 

BUT, before they had the entry booth after getting off the ferry they used to charge at the entrance to Sai-Keaw...  I remember a group of Chinese Tourists arguing that they had already paid yesterday (they had been to 7-11 which is just outside the entrance)....  National Park Forestry guys were trying to stitch them up to pay again.

So... I guess its down to the description of the National Park Forestry officers. 

i.e. per-entry, IF you are staying inside the Park...  or if you want to return the next day you have to pay to enter again *(unless you show yesterdays ticket and they accept that).

"National Park Forestry guys were trying to stitch them up to pay again." - but are they? If you leave it would seem that you should pay again - but over what period??

I have visited/camped many NPs on the WFC and with one exception,  have never been asked to pay twice, but this is largely because no-one was there.

The one time was asa group in Khao Yai, when after caping overnight, we left to go shopping and on returning were asked to pay again on returning.

This raises the question of cost for any family or groups who want to spend 5 to 7 days in a National park or visiting feral parks - te cost soon escalates.

However, despite trying to ask the DNP over the years, I have never received a satisfactory response.

I think it is further evidence of mismanagement of National parks that they don't actually consider how long of for what reasons people visit national parks.

BTW - the only ones that get any real money from visitors (as opposed to govt funding) are the marine NPs in tourist areas and perhaps Khao Yai. - but that has been shown in the case of KY that income would not be reduced by a single fee system.

Edited by Thunglom

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You’ll be happy to pay for than me or anyone else then for the exactly the same item, meal, service, process or attraction ??

OR, is it only Thai’s in Thailand that you are happy to pay more than ?.. 

Are you happy to pay more than extremely wealthy Thai’s for the same thing ?

WRONG, many of us are residents with families and a life here...  we own property, cars, have children at schools here...     

We're comparing policy and the morality of that policy....   Its attitudes that are being compared.

This is a discussion forum where opinions are discussed, or do you think everyone should just keep an opinion to themselves on and not contribute this forum ?

Additionally, just because people have an opinion and voice it, that does not mean they are whining or getting frustrated - they are just voicing an opinion. 

I don’t like dual pricing, where reasonable I don’t tolerate it, but I don't let it upset me or my day. But, I will contribute to a thread such as this and voice my negative opinion of the practice along with others. 

I’m actually quite interested in why people think its acceptable. 

Entitlement and expectations.

You could live there as long as you like and have as many children as you want, you are still a visitor to that country and the vast majority of people will always treat you like that.

You are not allowed to work there, own land yet with you think you are entitled to the same conditions and respect as a local within that country?

The roles reversed and of course the UK or US (or wherever you are from) anyone coming to this country can not only can work, set up a business can even claim monetary assistance.

Of course we have our attitudes and they have there's.

The issues seem to arise from people having too high an expectation and then become frustrated when this is not met.

This has gone on for longer than you have lived here for and continues to do so, so why try and change something that you were already well aware of before you decided to live or visit there?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

"National Park Forestry guys were trying to stitch them up to pay again." - but are they? If you leave it would seem that you should pay again - but over what period??

They clearly were, the chinese tourist were furious... 

...  they had no baggage with them... and just had a small bag of 7-11 stuff... 

Its clear they had walked over the National Park line (border type thing) and were picked up walking back in.... it was a proper obvious stich-up. 

(At the same period my son collected half a jar of sand and shells from the beach for a school project...  he had it in his hands, the hotel staff told us to hide it - the national park lot saw a kid doing the same thing a few months previously and they were fined 50,000 baht by the Park officers !!!).

I have visited/camped many NPs on the WFC and with one exception,  have never been asked to pay twice, but this is largely because no-one was there.

The one time was asa group in Khao Yai, when after caping overnight, we left to go shopping and on returning were asked to pay again on returning.

This raises the question of cost for any family or groups who want to spend 5 to 7 days in a National park or visiting feral parks - te cost soon escalates.

However, despite trying to ask the DNP over the years, I have never received a satisfactory response.

I think it is further evidence of mismanagement of National parks that they don't actually consider how long of for what reasons people visit national parks.

Exactly this - completely agree..  As with many things here, its ill thought out and clumsy. 

BTW - the only ones that get any real money from visitors (as opposed to govt funding) are the marine NPs in tourist areas and perhaps Khao Yai. - but that has been shown in the case of KY that income would not be reduced by a single fee system.

10 minutes ago, ed strong said:

Entitlement and expectations.

You could live there as long as you like and have as many children as you want, you are still a visitor to that country and the vast majority of people will always treat you like that.

You are not allowed to work there, own land yet with you think you are entitled to the same conditions and respect as a local within that country?

The roles reversed and of course the UK or US (or wherever you are from) anyone coming to this country can not only can work, set up a business can even claim monetary assistance.

Of course we have our attitudes and they have there's.

It would have just been easier for you to write “If you don’t like it go home” !!! .... 

Your response is that of a door-mat.

But, my Wife and many of my friends are Thai, they also voice their opinion that the believe dual pricing is wrong... I suppose you’ll fund a way to suggest that their options are valueless because they know a foreigner !!!!

And... I am allow to work in Thailand, I have worked in Thailand many times.. 

It’s taken me a matter of days to secure a work permit (not me, but the company I’ve worked for) when ever I’ve worked in Thailand. 

The issues seem to arise from people having too high an expectation and then become frustrated when this is not met.

For you it may normal to look down and expect the worst of others, but I like Thailand, I expect better things and would like to see Thailand develop into the modern world when it comes to these ‘official attitudes’ which are currently somewhat antiquated and appear uneducated. 

Additionally, why do you think I’m frustrated... I have an opinion thats all.

Do you let your opinions get you frustrated and spoil your day ? - don’t project !

This has gone on for longer than you have lived here for and continues to do so, so why try and change something that you were already well aware of before you decided to live or visit there?

Are you really suggesting we should not develop opinions of something we do not agree because it has happened long before we were here??....    You’re on the wrong side of history for that one (just think of any rights movements down to simple letters of petition). 

Additionally,  forums such as this highlight opinion....  The TM30 regulations were altered because people voiced opinions... Now many of use have it a tiny bit easier because of that. 

Your comments have not in anyway or form justified dual pricing, but they haves simply highlighted that fecklessness is your modus-operandi. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dickp said:

My Thai family  is my wife and daughter andmy wifes sisters and brother, along with their old childen. They agree with me

They agree that they shouldn't get discount? I don't believe that.