Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

• 1 month later...

I don't support dual pricing at all, but people who think it's "racist" are idiots. Their lack of understanding just doesn't help at all.

It isn't even xenophobic - it is used on a set of assumptions that basically believe that Thais shouldn't pay for their natural heritage but non-Thais should fund it instead.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 8:28 AM, mogandave said:

Actually, dual pricing is common in the US as well. 

Really? - I think you'll find it hard to get examples.

Fees for National Parks in the US very from park to park as low as $3 or high as$80. There are season passes, discounts ofr locals and Senior citizens s well as  students.

So please say which ones are charging more for foreigners - and is it FIVE TIMES more than for US citizens and at which rate?

Thailand on the other hand has 4 categories that are meant to cover the entire spectrum of parks available and charges foreigner 5 times the fee charges to Thai citizens.

It isn't just the effrontery (or justification), the fact is it doesn't help finance national parks, it is just a symptom of how BADLY they are run and financed.

Edited by Thunglom

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I don't support dual pricing at all, but people who think it's "racist" are idiots. Their lack of understanding just doesn't help at all.

It isn't even xenophobic - it is used on a set of assumptions that basically believe that Thais shouldn't pay for their natural heritage but non-Thais should fund it instead.

As has been pointed out numerous times, in the vast majority of instances posted, they do not ask for proof of Thai citizenship.

If the people look Asian, they get the normal price.

If they are non-Asian in appearance, they get the overcharge.

That is racist by definition - charging 2 prices determined by race.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

As has been pointed out numerous times, in the vast majority of instances posted, they do not ask for proof of Thai citizenship.

That is racist by definition - charging 2 prices determined by race.

probably the most pathetic excuse I've ever seen. You are trying to say - without any hard evidence - that the rangers on the gate are not capable of enforcing this measure which comes from central government - you also seem to think the "they all look the same" attitude - is applicable just because you can't tell the difference - who really is the racist here??

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

Not true,  I am not Asian,  but get the discount. 

Usually just speaking Thai is enough. Only one place in 30 years asked for my Thai ID. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Disney world in Florida 

You're joking!!! - like this is a national park!?!?1

In fact Florida residents can get 490% discount on multiple day tickets or YEARLY passes.... this is hardly the same as charging 5 times over for foreigners, is it?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

You're joking!!! - like this is a national park!?!?1

In fact Florida residents can get 490% discount on multiple day tickets or YEARLY passes.... this is hardly the same as charging 5 times over for foreigners, is it?

Erratum - 40% discount

On 6/5/2022 at 1:48 PM, ThailandRyan said:

No it's not.  Non resident pricing for Disneyland and some places like it have always been done as locals go more often, but you do not pay more to go to a museum or national park....nice try.

Years ago I bought a lifetime Golden Age Pass for $20.  It entitles anyone in my vehicle free entry to any U.S. National Park. 

Here in Hawaii, we have free entry for locals at most state parks which requires a local ID, such as a Hawaii drivers license.  The national parks do not charge entry for local  (usually Native Hawaiians) hunter/gatherers and cultural practitioners.

7 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Really? - I think you'll find it hard to get examples.

Fees for National Parks in the US very from park to park as low as $3 or high as$80. There are season passes, discounts ofr locals and Senior citizens s well as  students.

So please say which ones are charging more for foreigners - and is it FIVE TIMES more than for US citizens and at which rate?

Thailand on the other hand has 4 cat

0egories that are meant to cover the entire spectrum of parks available and charges foreigner 5 times the fee charges to Thai citizens.

It isn't just the effrontery (or justification), the fact is it doesn't help finance national parks, it is just a symptom of how BADLY they are run and financed.

Might also add my 2 cents. All the parks are free for us Veterans. Dual pricing in USA.... I've not seen it like they do in Thailand either.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Not true,  I am not Asian,  but get the discount. 

Usually just speaking Thai is enough. Only one place in 30 years asked for my Thai ID. 

Indeed. Works for me as well [for resident foreigners]

And those residents who have never experience such an instance are usually belong to the classes that refuse to acclimate, understand the language and rarely socialize with Thais, in general. 

So much for the perpetual myths regarding all these things. 

They do have a word in Thai for discrimination gaan bàeng yâek

Yet one has to wonder do they even realize what the heck it means?

Because we see such things in Thailand often

Whether it be "Thai" light skin = right skin

or Foreigner light skin = pay more

Kinda sad in 2022 these things still stand

But as always vote with your feet ????

Edited by mania

8 hours ago, BiteeThailandgardener said:

Might also add my 2 cents. All the parks are free for us Veterans. Dual pricing in USA.... I've not seen it like they do in Thailand either.

Discounts and concessions for various groups is not "dual pricing" - I get into my local castle for free in UK, there ae student and pensioner concessions all over the world - it is not the same as dual pricing

13 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Years ago I bought a lifetime Golden Age Pass for $20.  It entitles anyone in my vehicle free entry to any U.S. National Park. 

Here in Hawaii, we have free entry for locals at most state parks which requires a local ID, such as a Hawaii drivers license.  The national parks do not charge entry for local  (usually Native Hawaiians) hunter/gatherers and cultural practitioners.

gain this is NOT dual pricing it is concessions for "deserving" groups.

What Thailand needs to do is scrap the "banding" of NPs and price entry according to each NP - this could include discounts for locals, pensioners, students etc.

There is no evidence that dual pricing held funding the NPs - with the possible exception of some marine parks in tourist hotspots

We also can see that the main problem is appalling management practices by the DNP and their superiors.

What Thailand needs to do is scrap the "banding" of NPs and price entry according to each NP - this could include discounts for locals, pensioners, students etc.

Several reports have suggested raising the basic fee for everyone. 

The actually make money on any attraction like a national park th standard practice is to make money on "added value" once customers are inside

e.g.

Food, souvenirs and services.

Long term and repeat admission is required and pricing according to the uses people make of the parks

15 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

gain this is NOT dual pricing it is concessions for "deserving" groups.

No where in my post did I mention dual pricing.