Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

17 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Correct.  It's more about xenophobia than anything else.  You're either a Thai or you're not.  Thais get one price, non-Thais get a much higher price.  

Xenophobia is an irrational FEAR of foreigners. This has nothing to do with fear - it is a belief that foreigners should pay more to see Thailand's national heritage. This is a daft decision as it creates bad feelings and doesn't help finance Thailand's natural resources.

8 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Sorry, this is dumb. White people can be racially discriminated against, and for them to call it out is NOT racist. What are you talking about? 

there's stupid, stupider and then there's racist.

This is neither racist nor Xenophobia.

the restriction apply to non- Thais regardless of race creed or colour. Xenophobia is a fear of foreigners and this policy is not motivated by fear - possibly a misplaced national;ism, which is common amongst military-based regimes.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Racists are being racist by accusing others of being racist because they are being racist against them ?

I thought you'd have difficulty in understanding!

As said earlier there's "stupid, stupider and then there's racist".

This policy is ill-conceived, ill-thought out and ill-founded, but it isn't racist - it applies to all non-Thais regardless of creed or colour.

It is the result  of zealous nationalism and does nothing to help finance national resources (with a couple of exceptions) and actually discourages tourists and creates a bad image for Thailand.

Many posters on this thread are blinded by their own racism and thereby fail understand what the actual problem is. They are replacing critical thinking with indignance.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

It should be noted that dual pricing has been reduced by half.

Under the previous pricing scheme, foreigners paid 10 times what Thais paid, now it is only five times.

Is there an outcry in the Thai press and social media because Thais now must pay 20% of what foreigners pay, whereas before they had to pay only 10%?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thunglom said:

the restriction apply to non- Thais regardless of race creed or colour. Xenophobia is a fear of foreigners and this policy is not motivated by fear - possibly a misplaced national;ism, which is common amongst military-based regimes.

Oh really? A country where the people in charge, that make the rules, talk about 'dirty farang? You're being wilfully blind, whilst ridiculously accusing posters here of racism because they talk about the xenophobia (possibly racism, I already explained the overlap between the two words) which you yourself admit exists in societies of this type, proudly exhibited as nationalism: 'we're better than every other race'.... 

If dual pricing was just to allow poor Thais to visit, it should also charge better off Thais a higher price, not just foreigners. Others have pointed out that nowhere in Western countries would such a policy be allowed , as it would 100 percent be considered racist. 

I'm done with you now, you're just rehashing the same lame words again and again to different commenters here. You're blind and wish to remain so. Up to you. 

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Oh really? A country where the people in charge, that make the rules, talk about 'dirty farang? You're being wilfully blind, whilst ridiculously accusing posters here of racism because they talk about the xenophobia (possibly racism, I already explained the overlap between the two words) which you yourself admit exists in societies of this type, proudly exhibited as nationalism: 'we're better than every other race'.... 

If dual pricing was just to allow poor Thais to visit, it should also charge better off Thais a higher price, not just foreigners. Others have pointed out that nowhere in Western countries would such a policy be allowed , as it would 100 percent be considered racist. 

I'm done with you now, you're just rehashing the same lame words again and again to different commenters here. You're blind and wish to remain so. Up to you. 

you remind me  of the  paranoid old farangs I've met in bars entries and public places etc., they show little understanding of Thailand and just think everyone is conspiring against them. Basically their dearly held racist  views  suggest they should be superior and they spend their time compensating for the obvious fact they aren't. This normally takes the form of endlessly negatively stereotyping Thai people and using wild generalisations, all from a point of gross ignorance. Of course Thai people sense this - they are often right about "dirty" too.

It is a sad fact that your self-obsessive feelings of thwarted superiority will mean you will never integrate into Thai society..... and never learn

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Puccini said:

Is there an outcry in the Thai press and social media because Thais now must pay 20% of what foreigners pay, whereas before they had to pay only 10%?

You are using diversion.

They will likely only care how much they have to pay, not what it is relative to foreigners. 

Probably quite happy it is all so cheap for them. 

8 hours ago, Thunglom said:

you remind me  of the  paranoid old farangs I've met in bars entries and public places etc., they show little understanding of Thailand and just think everyone is conspiring against them. Basically their dearly held racist  views  suggest they should be superior and they spend their time compensating for the obvious fact they aren't. This normally takes the form of endlessly negatively stereotyping Thai people and using wild generalisations, all from a point of gross ignorance. Of course Thai people sense this - they are often right about "dirty" too.

It is a sad fact that your self-obsessive feelings of thwarted superiority will mean you will never integrate into Thai society..... and never learn

You're actually a walking apology for racism. I have no problem at all with Thais, nor with all the Indians and Filipinos I worked with for many years in the UAE. You see, we're not actually talking about me. Anyway, as I said, I'm done with trying to point out your errors. 

13 hours ago, Puccini said:

It should be noted that dual pricing has been reduced by half.

Under the previous pricing scheme, foreigners paid 10 times what Thais paid, now it is only five times.

Before it varied by place, at some it was 5 times, at some 10 times.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Speedhump said:

You're actually a walking apology for racism. I have no problem at all with Thais, nor with all the Indians and Filipinos I worked with for many years in the UAE. You see, we're not actually talking about me. Anyway, as I said, I'm done with trying to point out your errors. 

Well - looks like you're in denial or suffering from cognitive dissonance - your answer shows you see you life in terms of race.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You are using diversion.

They will likely only care how much they have to pay, not what it is relative to foreigners. 

Probably quite happy it is all so cheap for them. 

Hmm. So, getting back to the topic, it is only the foreigners on the ASEANNOW forum, griping about the 50% reduction of their entry fees to the Thai national parks.

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Well - looks like you're in denial or suffering from cognitive dissonance - your answer shows you see you life in terms of race.

No, but if you want to speak as though race DOESN'T EXIST, you're the one in huge denial. Once again you're just shooting down your own comments with your self unawareness.... ????

I really did want to ignore you, but this is just too funny....

23 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

No, but if you want to speak as though race DOESN'T EXIST, you're the one in huge denial. Once again you're just shooting down your own comments with your self unawareness.... ????

I really did want to ignore you, but this is just too funny....

THat's what you take from that? I have to say I expected as much. 

14 hours ago, Puccini said:

Hmm. So, getting back to the topic, it is only the foreigners on the ASEANNOW forum, griping about the 50% reduction of their entry fees to the Thai national parks.

I have no recollection of a reduction in fees... I recall some years ago a substantial rise in baht terms. I stopped going to them, I thought the charges were too high. 

I think you talk of a corresponding increase for Thais which affected the relation between Thai and foreign prices from 10x to 5x.

That is not in reality a reduction in cost, just a reduction of the foreigner padding factor. Disingenuous to even try to present it as such!

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have no recollection of a reduction in fees...

I have been unable to find the Ministerial Regulation that listed the park entry fees for foreigners in force prior to the publication of the new list mentioned in the OP. If you can find it you will see that for snyy given park, the fee in the new list is lower than the fee in the previous list. In my book, this is a reduction of the fee.

5 hours ago, Puccini said:

I have been unable to find the Ministerial Regulation that listed the park entry fees for foreigners in force prior to the publication of the new list mentioned in the OP. If you can find it you will see that for snyy given park, the fee in the new list is lower than the fee in the previous list. In my book, this is a reduction of the fee.

I recall a change in the past, where big national park fees went from 400 to 500 for foreigners, and from 40 baht to 100 baht for Thais. That is the 50% reduction in the ratio I thought you inferred. 

Here is an up to date list...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 4:48 PM, Thunglom said:

To be honest.

There's 'stupid' and there's 'more stupid' then 'most stupid'.

????????

On 6/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, TheFishman1 said:

They don’t want us here they just want our money here no surprises this dual  pricing on public parks Has been around as long as I can remember just stop going to places that are dual prices the first time I ever came here I got a haircut and on the wall was a sign years ago Haiir Cut 30 bht after I got my haircut he told me I needed to pay 60 bht my reply was I’ll never come back here TiT

I've never paid outright for a haircut in my life.  In Thailand I cut it myself initially, then married a Thai gal.  Sent her to a top-notch hair cutting school in BKK.  For what it's cost me over the last 43 years I could have had $100 haircuts and have my head replaced at least once.  ????

One one visit to Thailand about 15 years ago we went to see the Emerald Buddha or some such temple at Sanam Luang in BKK, Thai wife and two half-breed kids.  Dual pricing, so I didn't go in.  Bought a cold beer from a vendor in the courtyard.  Mmmm.

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I've never paid outright for a haircut in my life.  In Thailand I cut it myself initially, then married a Thai gal.  Sent her to a top-notch hair cutting school in BKK.  For what it's cost me over the last 43 years I could have had $100 haircuts and have my head replaced at least once.  ????

One one visit to Thailand about 15 years ago we went to see the Emerald Buddha or some such temple at Sanam Luang in BKK, Thai wife and two half-breed kids.  Dual pricing, so I didn't go in.  Bought a cold beer from a vendor in the courtyard.  Mmmm.

So dual pricing is preventing national resources from taking money.

If they do away with it or review their pricing policies their will be more visitors, more money and better funding for national treasures, national parks etc, etc.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:46 PM, Speedhump said:

Actually, dual pricing is common in the US as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Actually, dual pricing is common in the US as well. 

I didn't know that. Isn't it called out as racist or discriminatory by Biden's lot? I guess as it's not blacks being singled out it doesn't set off their radar. 

8 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I didn't know that. Isn't it called out as racist or discriminatory by Biden's lot? I guess as it's not blacks being singled out it doesn't set off their radar. 

It is discriminatory, but how is it racist? 

Just as requiring Chinese citizens to have have a visa, but allowing US citizens in with just their passport is discriminatory, but it is not racist. 

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It is discriminatory, but how is it racist? 

Just as requiring Chinese citizens to have have a visa, but allowing US citizens in with just their passport is discriminatory, but it is not racist. 

I said either/or, but in fact if you allow something to only American citizens but to no other nationality, isn't that racist? Racism doesn't have to be towards a single race, does it? Anyway, I don't have a dog in this fight, so whatever. ????

51 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I said either/or, but in fact if you allow something to only American citizens but to no other nationality, isn't that racist? Racism doesn't have to be towards a single race, does it? Anyway, I don't have a dog in this fight, so whatever. ????

Is “American” a race? 

When you allow people with tickets into a ballgame, and disallow people without rickets you discriminate against non-ticket holders

23 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Is “American” a race? 

When you allow people with tickets into a ballgame, and disallow people without rickets you discriminate against non-ticket holders

Come on, you know blacks are considered 'a race' when it suits BLM etc. You know Arabs consider themselves not only a race but a single nation across borders (religion's a b*tch). These things don't follow their strict meanings at all any more. 

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling and grammer