"New normal", it's getting a bit frightening.

To beat the inflation I had decided to replace my 7 years old Honda CRV. Good plan: replace the car before it needs major maintenance, so far it got only one new set of Michelins, get fresh airbags, and beat the anticipated price rise(s), which could reach easily half a million within a year.

Unfortunately the snag is that Honda, as we have been told by our dealer, have topped making the current model and are concentrating their resources on the 2023 one. Which is a real bummer because I wanted a 2WD with 2.4L and CVT 7 speeds, a perfect combo. While the new one will be likely to be AWD only with one of those stupid, fanciful hybrid power sets. My wife is now calling dealers around Bangkok and Chonburi, but they have only AWD models and/or some of these totally impractical 7 seaters.

Last thing: same story at Mazda, had a look at CX5, nice car but too small in the back, and no cars to sell anyhow.

Reminiscent of the stories of pre-Nazi Germany my Mum was telling us, where people couldn't buy a suit to get married. And shortly afterwards needed a wheelbarrow full of banknotes to buy a loaf of bread.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, redsongthaew said:

The lack of new vehicles is a global issue, and has nothing to do with inflation.

Yes and no. When goods become rare their prices are driven up, if you put this into the current context of run away inflation you can anticipate a massive price increase of new car by the en of this year. I think manufacturers anticipate this too and chose to postpone sales.

Otherwise I knew about the microchips, been going on for a while, had to wait 2 months to gets Ipads delivered before las Christmas.

Edited by Boomer6969

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

To beat the inflation

How would purchasing a new car beat inflation ? Inflation is ongoing, happening all the time, so whether you bought one last year, last week or last night the cost of purchase, insurance etc would still be subject to inflationary pressures of the time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wow....   This has the be the most outrageous hyperbolic leap on this forum.... a record breaker...

Straight from can’t get the new car I want to Nazi-Germany.....  !!!!...    geezzzz... some people.

Its a CRV... and is probably only going to take you to the shops and back....  Just get the new model, no big deal... 

If you wanted a ‘special sports / hyper car’ sure... be picky... but this just an A-B machine.. hardly a life changing choice !!

Goodness what ever next. I agree with you 100%. now I need to rest ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, redsongthaew said:

The lack of new vehicles is a global issue, and has nothing to do with inflation.

It is all to do with a lack of computer chips. Car makers can't get the chips they need, so they cannot build cars.

Not sure about that, although that is their spin sometimes.   Personally, I think they are just being smart, and not making them, until someone orders them.   Which if it saves overall cost when I buy one, that's fine with me.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

How would purchasing a new car beat inflation ? Inflation is ongoing, happening all the time, so whether you bought one last year, last week or last night the cost of purchase, insurance etc would still be subject to inflationary pressures of the time. 

Well, if you can't understand that you got  problem.

How about: better to buy if now a 1.5M than next year at 1.8M or 2M, no?

More generally, spend now before your bank the money in your bank account turns worthless. ?

If you still don't get, take a good holiday. Or maybe you are Thai and never think half a step ahead.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A little over-dramatic.    Currently there's an over-supply of wedding suits and as much bread as anyone could ever need from B30-ish.

Bread is bad for your health, marriage even more so.  Avoid both. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Reminiscent of the stories of pre-Nazi Germany my Mum was telling us, where people couldn't buy a suit to get married. And shortly afterwards needed a wheelbarrow full of banknotes to buy a loaf of bread.

What ??

I think you need to go and lie down in a darkened room and give your wayward imagination an opportunity to calm down  ¯\_()_/¯

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, marin said:

and you equate the experience to pre-Nazi Germany

I wrote "Reminiscent of the stories of pre-Nazi Germany my Mum was telling us,". So, "reminiscent of" translates into "equal to". 

Learn't something, never mind English is my third language. And right now my math is getting affected too.

7 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Last thing: same story at Mazda, had a look at CX5, nice car but too small in the back, and no cars to sell anyhow.

look at the Mazda CX8 it's interesting, I test drove it and has 7 seats

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Ask your wife to try further afield …. maybe some small town dealer in the North has just what you are looking for.

Actually, she just just spoke to a dealer in Bangkok, who told her that Honda still accepts orders for the 2022 models, so we'll place an order there. Now I am puzzled, seems that the main [only] dealer in Buriram/Surin wants to hold back sales so that he can get as many orders for the new model as possible. There is probably some internal competition in the Honda network.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Actually, she just just spoke to a dealer in Bangkok, who told her that Honda still accepts orders for the 2022 models, so we'll place an order there. Now I am puzzled, seems that the main [only] dealer in Buriram/Surin wants to hold back sales so that he can get as many orders for the new model as possible. There is probably some internal competition in the Honda network.

There is still plenty of old stock. You may also find you get a better deal in a busy Bangkok dealer than one up country. My wife has an old school friend who runs a honda dealer in Ratchaburi - his best offer was much less than what we got in Nonthaburi when we bought our crv in 2019. 

People is the US were getting more than they paid for 3 year old cars. I went to get a sandwich recently in a big super midweek they were out of everything except ham and tuna salad. ????

Soon you will wait 10 years to get a car with one Salami hanging in the deli case like the USSR

On 6/7/2022 at 10:44 AM, Boomer6969 said:

I think you're being a bit dramatic...just because you can't find a particular make and model vehicle. Maybe look at the used car market.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 3:23 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

What ??

I think you need to go and lie down in a darkened room and give your wayward imagination an opportunity to calm down  ¯\_()_/¯

Me too!!! I need that too...

but how do we get the world to stop while we relax? 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I think you're being a bit dramatic...just because you can't find a particular make and model vehicle. Maybe look at the used car market.

I hope I am wrong. But my little car problem is only a small drop in the sea of threats the global economy is facing now. We are facing near double digit inflation with a growth that has been stunted by covid; one more small step and we'll be talking about "stagflation", hence my "pre-nazi Germany" mention.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 6:43 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Wow....   This has the be the most outrageous hyperbolic leap on this forum.... a record breaker...

Straight from can’t get the new car I want to Nazi-Germany.....  !!!!...    geezzzz... some people.

Its a CRV... and is probably only going to take you to the shops and back....  Just get the new model, no big deal... 

If you wanted a ‘special sports / hyper car’ sure... be picky... but this just an A-B machine.. hardly a life changing choice !!

Besides the wild hyperbole, it wasn't even Nazi Germany, it was Weimar Germany, from Feb to November 1921. Hitler hadn't even begun writing his tome, much less gained power. Maybe hyperinflation led to the rise of the Nazis, but the 1921 problem was related to reparations demanded by the victorious Allies in WWI.

Anyway, equating 7-8% inflation with 1,000,000,000,000% inflation most definitely qualifies as hyperbole, and a new car isn't going to solve that kind of poor analysis and worse historical understanding.

Edited by Walker88

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Besides the wild hyperbole, it wasn't even Nazi Germany, it was Weimar Germany, from Feb to November 1921.

And where in my post(s) did I write that hyperinflation occurred under the Nazis? Please quote.