Is Thailand likely to see a mass exodus of expats?

webfact

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have not needed my air purifiers this year in Chiang Rai, the rainy season started early. Dare I whisper the words climate change?

Be that as it may, I just crank up the air purifiers when the meter hits 100, the air I breathe is back down to 25 in 20 minutes.

Same here, as have 2 Xiaomi purifiers.  Keeps the house in single digits.  Air pollution bothers me mentally more than health wise, especially when I want to play photographer.  

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I really do not like living in Thailand, I would much rather be living with my thai wife and daughter in the UK, but circumstances prevent that currently - though that issue is not financial.

“Did you abscond with the church funds? Did you run off with the Senator’s wife? I like to think you killed a man; it’s the romantic in me.”

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Why would anyone leave? Great weather here, living costs 30% of the West, young female company.

You forgot the temples.

Knew I was going wrong somewhere, so temples are where you find the young female company.????

51 minutes ago, VillageIdiot said:

There are many reasons a man might leave his home country and family.

Think the time line is wrong for this to be family.

but it is a very funny likeness. 

Edited by Orinoco

39 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Is Thailand likely to see a mass exodus of expats?

Only if the Government decides that "Retirement Extensions" must include a requirement of a 1 month "at home" period, like the financial you can use 400K of your 800k for 7 months of the year requirements.

Can't see that happening.

I am the family ne'er do well in a family and extended family of over-achievers. I am just more comfortable here.

As I have posted before from The Shawshank Redemption script:

ANDY: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
RED: No.
ANDY: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.

For me, that is Thailand.

• Like 1

To the above, from the song 'America' in West Side Story (obviously singing of Puerto Rico):

I think I'll go back to San Juan
I know a boat you can get on (bye, bye!)
Everyone there will give big cheer! (Hey)
Everyone there will have moved here

Edited by jerrymahoney

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Leaving America to escape the rising cost of living may seem attractive, but it could all go up in smoke if either the USD is devalued or entitlement programs have to be cut.

The US debt and deficit are on a scary upward trajectory due to rising borrowing costs and burgeoning entitlement program payouts. The same is true for many other Western countries. If either the dollar devalues (think British pound post-Brexit) or entitlement programs are slashed, the incentive for moving overseas in order to lower living costs could disappear overnight.

Becoming an ex-pat for financial reasons becomes a rather dicey decision when you start pondering what the future might hold.

If USD went "up in smoke" why would it be better to be in USA than here? The dollar would drop everywhere, and the already expensive USA would become even more expensive..... same goes for other countries.

A dollar or a pound goes further here, and that would still be true even if those currencies cratered. Am I wrong?

6 hours ago, BE88 said:

Many expats from Europe have already returned permanently, those who remain will make it more difficult to move to another country as they have families in Thailand so they will resist the rise in prices in Thailand because prices in Europe are also rising.

For the most part, the migratory birds of the six months have already found more hospitable places in the southern European countries and Arab countries.

The only expats I know who have returned had to because  of financial or health reasons. There in other reasonable to return  to broken Britain or a fractured Europe. As for friendly Arab countries: Dubai  welcomes millionaires and Russian Oligarchs ejected at last from the UK.

43 minutes ago, Jerno said:

Given the Gov't is publicly hanging their hopes of economic recovery on the influx of Indian tourists, the comment is not out of line. Maybe you're too woke for this Forum.

And perhaps  you don't know what woke means. Anti racism is a common decency - Woke ideology has no monopoly on anti racism- woke ideology  has no interest in Indian issues. There is a strong argument  that woke ideology  promotes racism by its reliance on toxic identitarian perceptions. But polemics  aside  - the majority  of expats in the world  are Asian not British or European or Australian or American.

Thailand will be seeing  more resident expats  from India as it is historically a natural place for them. All the big cities have 'India ' towns.

Thai Buddhism incorporates many aspects  of Indian Hinduism.

Indians own a lot of  land and property  here especially  in Bangkok.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Leaving America to escape the rising cost of living may seem attractive, but it could all go up in smoke if either the USD is devalued or entitlement programs have to be cut.

The US debt and deficit are on a scary upward trajectory due to rising borrowing costs and burgeoning entitlement program payouts. The same is true for many other Western countries. If either the dollar devalues (think British pound post-Brexit) or entitlement programs are slashed, the incentive for moving overseas in order to lower living costs could disappear overnight.

Becoming an ex-pat for financial reasons becomes a rather dicey decision when you start pondering what the future might hold.

And yet the Dollar goes from strength to strength and every innovation in how everyone lives their lives, and the companies that have led the way, for the past two decades has come from America. Sorry the worldwide reign of the Dollar US based on solid fundamentals and anyone who has bet against it has lost money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I think it is just the opposite more want, and will come here.

It is literally 4 to 5 times more expensive to live in my home country now then here.  If a person has a fully paid off house or can stay for free with family back home, then I guess they can consider  it   Otherwise, most of the living expenses listed are way way up in western countries now compared to here.  Not to mention, all the political issues with hate being at an all time high.  And for men, younger attractive female company is non existent.

I am very happy remaining here thanks, go back once a year for a month to visit family that is more then enough.

Mt family are here full stop and many have no family to speak of in the UK and maybe a few close friends but they have their own families.

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Well... what do you expect, when each of these "young sexy women" calls you a "hansum man" and promises to "love you more than monkey love banana" despite your bulging beer belly, bald head, flabby arms, alcoholic red nose, double chin, man boobs, questionable personal hygiene practices, and Birkenstock sandals?

I am NOT speaking from experience, of course... ????????

Birkenstock?
That must be the german brigade.

30 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

Never been to Manchester, I understand due to the foibles of the English language a native of the city is called a Mancunian.

Please don't put evil thoughts in my head, I have enough already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

And yet the Dollar goes from strength to strength and every innovation in how everyone lives their lives, and the companies that have led the way, for the past two decades has come from America. Sorry the worldwide reign of the Dollar US based on solid fundamentals and anyone who has bet against it has lost money.

I suppose that explains why I have never lost money buying and selling gold.

The US dollar is the world's reserve currency. That is based on belief, AFAIK a government debt of $30 trillion is not solid fundamentals.

Switzerland and Sweden lead the world in terms of innovation, America comes in third. South Korea is climbing up the rankings fast, because it employs more scientists per million people than any other country.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There are millions and millions coming from India!

According to TAT 5 million! All going to Pattaya?

Five million Indian tourists are expected to visit Pattaya by the end of 2022, Tourism Authority of Thailand says

Edited by mikeymike100
spelling
  • Haha 1

Our living costs in Thailand have not gone up so much. Maybe 2000 a month and now 32k total before travel expenses, insurance, dinner outside home etc.

Edited by Hummin