Is Thailand likely to see a mass exodus of expats?

webfact

27 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It sounds like it's important for you that retirees living in Thailand are in relationships with basically the least desirable women.  I'm afraid the reality is likely to disappoint you.

The harsh reality is that in Thailand they basically need to pay women to be with them. The quality of women depends on how much you pay. Most older retirees living off their pension of course cannot pay very much and so end up with older women.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Will many still be able to afford to stay in the future? 

I think the majority have burned there bridges back home. 

and have very limited funds at hand now.

So all they will do is reduce there standard of living until they pass.

very few will leave.

Ps Some wives will help them on there way with some inventive cooking or road accident, just to make sure all the money does not get spent before they pass !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :giggle:

Edited by Orinoco

33 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

How old do you mean?  Do you envisage a sixty something expat with a sixty something Thai?  If that was the case, I doubt they would need to pick an ex-prostitute.

Even if she is not an ex-prostitute, you still need to pay (or in their lingo, "take care"). And yes, I often see 60-something expats with 50-something Thai grandmas.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

The harsh reality is that in Thailand they basically need to pay women to be with them. The quality of women depends on how much you pay. Most older retirees living off their pension of course cannot pay very much and so end up with older women.

What a load of rollocks, but in your case, probably correct.....????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Even if she is not an ex-prostitute, you still need to pay (or in their lingo, "take care"). And yes, I often see 60-something expats with 50-something Thai grandmas.

Sorry to see you have been burned, but there are ladies out there to help you get over it....Just think positive...????

• Haha 1

It is already happening. We enjoy being here, but the primary reason is the affordable cost of living. If we had enough money, we would likely only be here 2 or 3 months of the year.

A friend of mine uses a foreign lawyer in Bangkok, who is one of the top attorneys around. He said his office cannot find enough hours in the day to meet with expats who are leaving, with their Thai spouse or family, and dealing with the legal aspects and wills for their remaining Thai families, properties, etc. He said he has never seen anything like it, in the 30 years he has been in practice here. Why?

The dinosaur creeps are moving this nation backwards at a breakneck pace. Truly regressive reptilian leadership.

1. Overall, a declining quality of life for some. If you have sufficient resources, you will do just fine. 

2. An oppressive government that was not sincere about letting go of power. Ever. And a way, way over the top reaction of Covid, and the seemingly permanent masking of society. It is so surly and unappealing. 

3. High prices on most import goods and wine. Crappy selection of beer.

4. Rampant xenophobic on the part of the goons and immigration.

5. A nation in reverse. No hope for a better future here.

6. Extreme timidity and destruction of the economy, many lives and businesses. Please, don't blame Covid. That is only one element.

7. Little in the way of good education available for kids.

8. The sanitization of Thai society, the elimination of anything that resembles character, and the tired, insincere, increasingly fake purity campaigns.

9. The continued environmental destruction and worsening air quality, coupled with no intent of effort to fix anything.

10. The worsening dependence on China. Will Thailand eventually be a communist colony?

Shall I go on?

Anyone who is wealthy or even affluent, would have little interest in retiring here. This world offers way to many superior options.

So, it is mostly about affordability. It is reasonable here. Most of us live well, on a relatively modest income or pension.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Plenty of good-looking women in their forties and fifties crying out for someone to "take care", and quite happy with what's coming in by way of a Western pension.

As for hooking up with a 20 yo stunner, I am not suicidal, or interested in wearing horns.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

I think the majority have burned there bridges back home. 

and have very limited funds at hand now.

So all they will do is reduce there standard of living until they pass.

very few will leave.

Ps Some wives will help them on there way with some inventive cooking or road accident, just to make sure all the money does not get spent before they pass !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :giggle:

Why do you assume their only options are to reduce their standard of living in Thailand, or return home, when there are neighboring countries offering a similar lifestyle they enjoyed in Thailand, but are more affordable? 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why do you assume their only options are to reduce their standard of living in Thailand, or return home, when there are neighboring countries offering a similar lifestyle they enjoyed in Thailand, but are more affordable? 

What ever.

How many people in advanced age do you think will go to a new country and try and start again ?
millions of course.  guess what,  they will all still be here. :coffee1:

3 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

What ever.

How many people in advanced age do you think will go to a new country and try and start again ?
millions of course.  guess what,  they will all still be here. :coffee1:

I didn't see "advanced age" in the thread title.  It said "expats." 

Sure, the elderly expats will be less inclined to move and start again, but how many newly retired expats will Thailand be able to not only retain, but also attract in the future? 

35,000,0000 baht gets me a decent house, car, and some food money back home.  Sure, a great standard of living, but that's no fun.

35,000,000 baht in Thailand gets me Soi 666 every night, OK room anywhere in Thailand, and all the noodle soup I can eat!!!  never to worry about Chicken prices going from 20 to 22 baht!!!  

to each their own.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The neighboring countries do not have the infrastructure of Thailand in terms of hospitals, dental clinics, communications, roads, and choice of what one can buy in a supermarket.

I've been to Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Nice for a couple of weeks, living in any long term is a different matter.

27 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

The harsh reality is that in Thailand they basically need to pay women to be with them. The quality of women depends on how much you pay. Most older retirees living off their pension of course cannot pay very much and so end up with older 

I reckon you're a young guy who can't pull a bird back home or are you going suprise me and tell me how wrong i am because you're a sexy man?

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I didn't see "advanced age" in the thread title.  It said "expats." 

Sure, the elderly expats will be less inclined to move and start again, but how many newly retired expats will Thailand be able to not only retain, but also attract in the future? 

Had enough of you now.

Welcome to the list.

Bye.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The neighboring countries do not have the infrastructure of Thailand in terms of hospitals, dental clinics, communications, roads, and choice of what one can buy in a supermarket.

I've been to Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Nice for a couple of weeks, living in any long term is a different matter.

Im soon in my mid 50’ies and Im planning to go home to Europe when it will be necessery, and will not relocate to another Asian country, because I believe there is no future for us here in the long distance. 

So for everyone plan to move to asia, the best advise you can get, is to keep the backdoor open for a return, or to another country outside Asia. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Total nonsense. Most men support the women they are with, anywhere in the world. Nearly every friend I have in the US is single. Why? Because for a man in the US, who is past the age of 50, unless he is willing to get with a woman at least his age, his prospects are dim for finding love, or companionship. Some guys like me, simply prefer younger women. Not kids, but women who are 5, 10, 15, even 20 or 25 years younger than us. For a dozen very valid reasons. I could break them down, but why bother? The PC crew will jump on this and say it is not right. You should not be able to have this kind of life, without jumping over ridiculous hurdles! Means nothing to me. I do not do PC. Why be with a woman our age, if we do not need to? Nothing wrong with it, if it works for you. But It is virtually impossible for a 60 year old man in the US, to hook up with a 36 year old woman, unless she is very fat or very ugly, or he is a centi millionaire, or is famous. Period. It just does not happen in this day and age.

Here it is possible. Granted he will likely get with a woman of lesser means, who needs a guy who can provide some financial stability. So what? Who cares? Most women want financial stability anywhere in the world, whether they admit it or not. The difference is here the women are more honest about their financial needs and desires. I know a lot of men who have engaged in relationships with lovely, kind, supportive, humorous, and sexy women here, who are no longer lonely. We have very good lives. Fulfilling lives. Lives we could never dream of having back in the US, Oz, NZ, UK, Canada, or Scandinavia.

Even though she is very smart, I do not get much intellectual stimulation from the relationship. But, I get so much else. And in all of the relationships I was ever in with really smart women, who I got intellectual stimulation from, there was also so much grief to contend with. Such combative women. So much competition. Yikes. Thrilled to death to have left all of that behind.

I agree with you. We all are looking for better dating options for ourselves. If we don't find it in our home countries, we look somewhere else. Nothing wrong with that. It's our way to beat the system that made us miserable and lonely back home.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, transam said:

I actually know a bloke who did it, way back in 2007, then he did it again in I think 2012, he now lives with a lady in the Philippines....????

Takes all kinds, everybody has their own priorities so to speak.

Edited by scorecard

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Im soon in my mid 50’ies and Im planning to go home to Europe when it will be necessery, and will not relocate to another Asian country, because I believe there is no future for us here in the long distance. 

What do you mean by "no future"? For a retired expat there will always be options to stay in SEA, be it Thailand with retirement visas, or Cambodia/Philippines with very friendly visa policies.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No argument from me about Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia, but what infrastructure do you see Vietnam as lacking?  Communications, roads, dental are very good in Vietnam, and in some cases, better than Thailand. 

I agree with you about choice in the supermarket, but that will change as more and more western expats decide to reside there.

I also agree with hospitals, but medical in Vietnam is fine for most issues retired expats experience on a regular basis. 

A lot of expats return to their home country for major surgery, usually because it free.  There's the option for an expat in Vietnam to fly to Bangkok for surgery, if they chose. 

The flight time from Udon Thani to Bangkok is 65 mins.  The flight time from a major coastal city in Vietnam is not much more. 

Vietnam is currently reviewing their visa classes and requirements.  Should they offer a method for retirees to reside there long term, I can only see Vietnam gaining in popularity as a retirement destination as it's extremely affordable, without the nastiness of the other countries you mentioned. 

16 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

What do you mean by "no future"? For a retired expat there will always be options to stay in SEA, be it Thailand with retirement visas, or Cambodia/Philippines with very friendly visa policies.

My first concern is do I want to live in Asia when I become older?  The second concern is economic, will I manage to have a proper decent life with proper insurance, and third the world peace, we never know whats going to happen. 

If Im healthy, can afford a decent lifestyle and have health insurance, no worries, and if everything continue as now, no worries, it is just to know you have a plan and a backdoor that gives you that extra safety. 

For those who retired here 10 - 20 years ago, the premises have changed quite a bit economically for them. 

Edited by Hummin

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am posting facts, if you don't like them I have others. Such as the most expensive medical and dental system in the world.

I have visited America many times, and there are a lot of things America does very well, others not so well. Labeling me as an American hater is as shallow as a mud puddle.

I agree America isn't perfect...especially in social measures of development; but your reply concerned economics and the wisdom of US expats counting on the continued strength of the US dollar in their foreign retirements. My opinion is they can sleep well at nite ???? 

21 minutes ago, Hummin said:

So for everyone plan to move to asia, the best advise you can get, is to keep the backdoor open for a return, or to another country outside Asia. 

Good to have that option, but it only works if you own a home or condo back in your home country. Renting or buying now, is not an option for most, with skyrocting prices. 

And if things fall apart, like many are predicting will happen, with the Dow dropping to 5,500, many banks and economies collapsing, and major anarchy taking place, Thailand will be a far better place to be, than back there. Safer and far cheaper. And infinitely less dreary. 

Edited by spidermike007

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Good to have that option, but it only works if you own a home or condo back in your home country. Renting or buying now, is not an option for most, with skyrocting prices. 

And if things fall apart, like I am predicting they will, with the Dow dropping to 5,500, the banks and the economy collapsing, and major anarchy taking place, Thailand will be a far better place to be, than back there. Safer and far cheaper. And infinitely less dreary. 

I do have an 110m2 3 room apartment home I rent out, so not going to start on scratch, and part of the plan. 

I left Thailand over 2 years ago was on a retirement visa for ove 6 years.

Owned my own home in Melbourne Australia over 15 years.

Thailand is not the paradise it used to be.

Why should I have to leave 800,000 baht I a unsecured Jaunta run bank for 3 months just to get a visa.

60 day visa + 30 day extension is my choice now.

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No argument from me about Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia, but what infrastructure do you see Vietnam as lacking?  Communications, roads, dental are very good in Vietnam, and in some cases, better than Thailand. 

Certainly, the police presence in Vietnam is a lot less obtrusive than Thailand.

Fresh bread rolls and coffee for breakfast were very welcome; however, eating pho bo and spring rolls, however well made, for the other two meals of the day palled quite quickly.

It's not infrastructure, but I also got the sense Vietnam is far more puritanical when it comes to relations between foreigners and Vietnamese. The days of Saigon as Sin City appear to be long gone.

If I had to pick a highlight of our trip there, it would be the water puppetry show in Hanoi.

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I follow Jeffery Gundlach, David Rosenberg, Peter Schiff, Mohammed El-Erian, Marc Faber, James Grant and several other economists all of whom are anticipating a major weakening of the dollar, principally due to the unsustainable debt, and  challenges to the dollar's reserve currency status. Can you name any economist(s) who is (are) as sanguine about the dollar's future as you seem to be? I am interested in understanding the reasoning behind their thinking.

I don't put much stock in the opinions of economists...I see them as similar to fortune tellers...if they can predict future economic trends (in this case future currency rates) why aren't they all rich playing the markets (and why aren't fortune tellers rich from buying lottery tickets)? [Curious fact: Eminent economist John Maynard Keynes did play the market based on his economic predictions and did amass a fortune.] As President Truman once said: "Find me a one-handed economist...all the ones I have say 'On the one hand, with this policy, this economic outcome is likely...but on the other hand this outcome is also a possibility!'

I prefer to study the opinions of people with real skin in the game, i.e., business people like Warren Buffet and Charlie Munger. They have full faith in the continued strength of the Dollar and the US economy that back stops it. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter