Is Thailand likely to see a mass exodus of expats?

webfact

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I suppose that explains why I have never lost money buying and selling gold.

The US dollar is the world's reserve currency. That is based on belief, AFAIK a government debt of $30 trillion is not solid fundamentals.

Switzerland and Sweden lead the world in terms of innovation, America comes in third. South Korea is climbing up the rankings fast, because it employs more scientists per million people than any other country.

I knew my post would bring out the America haters. Funny we're not all still using Nokia phones and driving Volvo/Saab cars, and all our computers and phones running on Erickson networks and software, and everyone shopping at IKEA online. Switzerland the land of chocolate, watches, and bank fraud/tax evasion; and South Korea the suicide capitol of the world...good social model there. Yes, America has 30T in debt BECAUSE foreigners can't get enough of it and every Treasury Department debt auction is massively oversubscribed.  It seems like you are the only one concerned about this debt. The rest of the world knows there's no other place that's a better store of value than the Dollar, which is backed up by the biggest and most innovative economy in the world.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I knew my post would bring out the America haters. Funny we're not all still using Nokia phones and driving Volvo/Saab cars, and all our computers and phones running on Erickson networks and software, and everyone shopping at IKEA online. Switzerland the land of chocolate, watches, and bank fraud/tax evasion; and South Korea the suicide capitol of the world...good social model there. Yes, America has 30T in debt BECAUSE foreigners can't get enough of it and every Treasury Department debt auction is massively oversubscribed.  It seems like you are the only one concerned about this debt. The rest of the world knows there's no other place that's a better store of value than the Dollar, which is backed up by the biggest and most innovative economy in the world.

I am posting facts, if you don't like them I have others. Such as the most expensive medical and dental system in the world.

I have visited America many times, and there are a lot of things America does very well, others not so well. Labeling me as an American hater is as shallow as a mud puddle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I really do not like living in Thailand, I would much rather be living with my thai wife and daughter in the UK, but circumstances prevent that currently - though that issue is not financial.

So, I am here for my family, not as i want to be. We'd leave tomorrow if we could. 

As for others leaving, no idea, those I speak to are happy here and wont leave (even to the detriment of their own health) and there will always be a demand for horny old men to come and live near young sexy women !

Example:  75 yo Nth American guy, been living in Pattaya about 18 years, now has advanced dementia (up and down daily) and cancer problems. Family in Nth America want him to come back but can't pay any of the quite expensive costs of flying a sick man to Nth America. And they are all old and incapable of coming here to take care of him. And the 75 yo in Pattaya refuses to discuss any aspect of this situation. He's spent 95% of his savings, now on a quite small pension and rent (Jomtien area) takes 90% of his pension. Friends are supporting and caring for him (bathing, meals and more) daily but he's becoming very beligerant and abusive. Embassy has been contacted, they did contact his family in Nth America but no result. 

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I follow Jeffery Gundlach, David Rosenberg, Peter Schiff, Mohammed El-Erian, Marc Faber, James Grant and several other economists all of whom are anticipating a major weakening of the dollar, principally due to the unsustainable debt, and  challenges to the dollar's reserve currency status. Can you name any economist(s) who is (are) as sanguine about the dollar's future as you seem to be? I am interested in understanding the reasoning behind their thinking.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I follow Jeffery Gundlach, David Rosenberg, Peter Schiff, Mohammed El-Erian, Marc Faber, James Grant and several other economists all of whom are anticipating a major weakening of the dollar, principally due to the unsustainable debt, and  challenges to the dollar's reserve currency status. Can you name any economist(s) who is (are) as sanguine about the dollar's future as you seem to be? I am interested in understanding the reasoning behind their thinking.

Debt / deficit goes UP, USD goes DN ... really need an economist to tell anyone that.

20 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Young female company?? I see a lot of old expats with Thai grandmas almost their age!

Its quite natural and normal to be with people your own age .

Its a bit weird hanging around with people young enough to be your Grand Children

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Young female company?? I see a lot of old expats with Thai grandmas almost their age!

Not all of us after landing went straight to the bar girl joints with an engagement ring, sunbeam...????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

The funny thing is that those grandmas are old bar girls lol

Why do you think that every guy who lives here married a bar girl? When i first came yup i dated a bar girl because they were the only girls i met,but once i had business here i got to meet many girls and women who had jobs ,my now wife helped out in our office for a few weeks  as we did business with her sister and she loaned her to us,maybe i was just lucky,but i know two guys who married respectable women,30 yrs ago, it does happen

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

The funny thing is that those grandmas are old bar girls lol

I'm no expert, but if someone was going to marry an ex-prostitute who they have to essentially pay to marry, why would they be with someone their own age?

Your comment lacks logic.

Edited by BangkokReady

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No chance of rooting back home!

None ... to lazy to go anywhere.  Just the thought of dealing with the airport at both ends, let alone sitting on a plane for any  length of time is a turn off.

Except for short visit, after hitting PowerBall, USA would probably be the last place you'd find me.  45 yrs was more than enough.  Really is nothing back there for me and prefer new experiences.  Maybe Alaska, never been there.

17 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Why do you think that every guy who lives here married a bar girl? When i first came yup i dated a bar girl because they were the only girls i met,but once i had business here i got to meet many girls and women who had jobs ,my now wife helped out in our office for a few weeks  as we did business with her sister and she loaned her to us,maybe i was just lucky,but i know two guys who married respectable women,30 yrs ago, it does happen

I never understood people being so fixated about others who meet bar girls, its not their problem, and it is the same who manage to turn topics which is not about bar girls, to become a bar girl thread every time. 

Must had their share of bad experience since they just cant leave it. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm no expert, but if someone was going to marry and ex-prostitute who they have to essentially pay to marry, why would they be with someone their own age?

Your comment lacks logic.

If you are old and want to stay with a young girl long time, you need to pay her more than your pension allows. Old grandmas are cheaper. 

Edited by JoseThailand

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I never understood people being so fixated about others who meet bar girls, its not their problem, and it is the same who manage to turn topics which is not about bar girls, to become a bar girl thread every time. 

Must had their share of bad experience since they just cant leave it. 

Dont blame me i just said not everyone marries a bar girl,no problem with it ,a friend in the Uk married one many moons ago ,she is a gem,

5 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

If you are old and want to stay with a young girl long time, you need to pay her more than your pension. Old grandmas are cheaper. 

If you are going to pay a person to be with you , the younger and prettier they are, the more you are going to have to pay them 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Old grandmas are cheaper.

How old do you mean?  Do you envisage a sixty something expat with a sixty something Thai?  If that was the case, I doubt they would need to pick an ex-prostitute.

It sounds like it's important for you that retirees living in Thailand are in relationships with basically the least desirable women.  I'm afraid the reality is likely to disappoint you.

9 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Dont blame me i just said not everyone marries a bar girl,no problem with it ,a friend in the Uk married one many moons ago ,she is a gem,

No blaim to you at all, it was more of a backing to your statement. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, transam said:

Not all of us after landing went straight to the bar girl joints with an engagement ring, sunbeam...????

Yeah I heard about that. Number xx bus from outside Don Muang airport, 10th stop, walk 10 metres to your right, 'xxx Love You Forever' bar on your left.

But use the hotel pick up car to take your luggage to your hotel, check-in to hotel tomorrow. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yeah I heard about that. Number xx bus from outside Don Muang airport, 10th stop, walk 10 metres to your right, 'xxx Love You Forever' bar on your left.

But use the hotel pick up car to take your luggage to your hotel, check-in to hotel tomorrow. 

I actually know a bloke who did it, way back in 2007, then he did it again in I think 2012, he now lives with a lady in the Philippines....????

• Like 1