Is Thailand likely to see a mass exodus of expats?

webfact

Was an expat there for over 10 years, never again. But, am coming back to visit friends. Then on to Phillipines, and Malaysia. Malaysia is my favorite Asian country. I am hoping the Philippines will be to my liking. Pros and cons here at Thai Visa so not sure. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps you have not noticed. The Indians I have known, to a man, were as tight as a duck's bum.

They are 'quality tourists'... they must be, TAT promised us!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Algeria- LOL.

Spanish  and French  is spoken in Morocco- it's a Muslim country and brings with it  all the attendant issues especially for women.  Tunisia and Morocco is bitterly cold in the winter and Tunisia is possible  the most boring country  in Africa.  In North  Africa  you won't just feel like an intruder you are. I have no idea  what retirement opportunities there are for Europeans in these places but for Jews, Americans and Israelis they won't be much of  a welcome.

Morocco is one of the very worst for street hassles. You have to  hire someone to keep other street hustlers away. Everyone  who has  been to  Morocco knows this.

For most people Morocco is an adventure the best part of  which is  leaving. Dreadful customs and border guards BTW.

To suggest  North Africa as an alternative  to Thailand is totally unrealistic. It's absurd.

If you read my comments well I just say that many Europeans go there to spend the winter and also to settle down with large tourist investments have been made by the French in recent years, not that I recommend them.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

A great many of those migratory Shorts flip flops and Chang shirt wearers usually come her in the winter months.  This year they were not able to do so,

Therefore I think that you will find that there will be a greater number of people coming too Thailand in the fall than there were leaving this spring.  

It may seem more expensive but I am still betting that lifing in the U.K is ore expensive than living here.  I know it is mroe expensive in Canada

You have to take into account that the cost of air tickets have doubled and with longer times, when air transport returns to normal maybe next year it will be possible.

The cost of living is also increasing considerably in Thailand even if I hope it will remain lower than in the West, otherwise the attraction for Thailand risks disappearing.

The government's refusal to increase bank interests is causing a flight of investments in Thailand which return to investing in the dollar and consequently there is a strong risk of inflation in Thailand as well due to an expected fall in the currency.

Guest truthman
On 6/8/2022 at 6:27 AM, Gecko123 said:

Leaving America to escape the rising cost of living may seem attractive, but it could all go up in smoke if either the USD is devalued or entitlement programs have to be cut.

The US debt and deficit are on a scary upward trajectory due to rising borrowing costs and burgeoning entitlement program payouts. The same is true for many other Western countries. If either the dollar devalues (think British pound post-Brexit) or entitlement programs are slashed, the incentive for moving overseas in order to lower living costs could disappear overnight.

Becoming an ex-pat for financial reasons becomes a rather dicey decision when you start pondering what the future might hold.

But for many people, America has become virtually unaffordable, especially for those on a pension. Median house price is now $500,000 and rents have risen correspondingly. Bloomberg recently had an article on people making $250,000 a year living paycheck to paycheck. I guess the only solution is not to live too long!

13 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Nothing like the pages of AN/TV for good solid financial advice. Thanks fellas.

Yawn

If all things were equal -- and they aren't -- I would be living in Palembang, Sumatra, where I spent time mid-90's. The west coast of Sumatra has waves much like Hawaii.

I was told back then things are conservative with the young women. You have to marry the girl. But, if you can afford it, you can marry 3.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

If all things were equal -- and they aren't -- I would be living in Palembang, Sumatra, where I spent time mid-90's. The west coast of Sumatra has waves much like Hawaii.

I was told back then things are conservative with the young women. You have to marry the girl. But, if you can afford it, you can marry 3.

Thanks for that Jerry, that is soooo interesting... 

7 minutes ago, garyk said:

Thanks for that Jerry, that is soooo interesting... 

Well so is your non-Thailand itinerary of the Philippines and Malaysia. Malaysia is your favorite Asian country.

That is sooo interesting.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, garyk said:

Yawn

Good night. Pleasant dreams -- of any place but Thailand.

You must remember this
A kiss is just a kiss
A sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As long as they aren't Thai

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well so is your non-Thailand itinerary of the Philippines and Malaysia. Malaysia is your favorite Asian country.

That is sooo interesting.

Ah, ASEAN. For some, a sandpit for children.

17 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

The funny thing is that those grandmas are old bar girls lol

More Garbage; my Wife of 15 years was a Nurse and she is now 57 and retired.   It's total nonsence that every Farang that is married is married to a Bar Girl !   Indeed; i've never set foot in a Thai Bar and have no wish to do so.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The military does pretty well when it is their own countrymen.

Indeed they are great at shooting unarmed citizens but that should never be a military role. Only truly uncivilized countries have military structure, ranks & uniforms for what should be non- military activity like Police & Immigration.

Only UK has this right with every armed service having its own unique ranks & uniforms.

Those silly four stars on US hick town police “chiefs”  uniform collars are quite ridiculous, like they are a comic- book full general, when at best they are Major (Police Supt.) level. US Police indistinguishable from US Army in style, behaviour, weapons & tactics. 

Same with the Mickey Mouse “ parachute wings” on Thai police uniforms. After jumping off high tables for a hour no doubt.Absurd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

More Garbage; my Wife of 15 years was a Nurse and she is now 57 and retired.   It's total nonsence that every Farang that is married is married to a Bar Girl !   Indeed; i've never set foot in a Thai Bar and have no wish to do so.

Bar Girls completely wrong societal section from which to select a long term partner. Mostly stupid, uneducated, money- fixated peasants, controlled by family to suck farangs dry financially. One night rental only. 

My great lady educated at university as Architect.

5 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Muslim dirthole ????

5 hours ago, truthman said:

But for many people, America has become virtually unaffordable, especially for those on a pension. Median house price is now $500,000 and rents have risen correspondingly. Bloomberg recently had an article on people making $250,000 a year living paycheck to paycheck. I guess the only solution is not to live too long!

Unaffordable …. and unliveable in the cities now lawless homeless druggie alcoholic opioid-addicted ruined dem areas….. pressure cooker society unless millionaire or hermit…….not for this guy…..

8 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Muslim dirthole ????

Thank you. Again I was there close to 30 years ago.

Gateway to more spectacular scenery than you will ever find in Thailand. And an ocean -- not a gulf or a sea.

Edited by jerrymahoney

9 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Indeed they are great at shooting unarmed citizens but that should never be a military role. Only truly uncivilized countries have military structure, ranks & uniforms for what should be non- military activity like Police & Immigration.

Only UK has this right with every armed service having its own unique ranks & uniforms.

Those silly four stars on US hick town police “chiefs”  uniform collars are quite ridiculous, like they are a comic- book full general, when at best they are Major (Police Supt.) level. US Police indistinguishable from US Army in style, behaviour, weapons & tactics. 

Same with the Mickey Mouse “ parachute wings” on Thai police uniforms. After jumping off high tables for a hour no doubt.Absurd.

One Thai general for every 660 personnel of lower rank. The US makes do with one general for every 1600 personnel. The phrase "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" springs to mind.

6 hours ago, BE88 said:

You have to take into account that the cost of air tickets have doubled and with longer times, when air transport returns to normal maybe next year it will be possible.

The cost of living is also increasing considerably in Thailand even if I hope it will remain lower than in the West, otherwise the attraction for Thailand risks disappearing.

The government's refusal to increase bank interests is causing a flight of investments in Thailand which return to investing in the dollar and consequently there is a strong risk of inflation in Thailand as well due to an expected fall in the currency.

Thai cost of living must still be around 20% of West. ????????and far less hectic & stressed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

One Thai general for every 660 personnel of lower rank. The US makes do with one general for every 1600 personnel. The phrase "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" springs to mind.

“ utterly corrupt & useless” springs to my mind. inevitable Product of rotten unchanging ancient culture. 

On 6/8/2022 at 5:50 AM, wasabi said:

It is still relatively cheap to live here and the Thailand Elite Visa makes immigration easy. Air pollution is the number one reason I would consider leaving. 

Why not relocate within Thailand?

11 hours ago, garyk said:

Was an expat there for over 10 years, never again. But, am coming back to visit friends. Then on to Phillipines, and Malaysia. Malaysia is my favorite Asian country. I am hoping the Philippines will be to my liking. Pros and cons here at Thai Visa so not sure. 

Both countries awful in different ways ……one as boring as <deleted>, the other downright dirty & dangerous.