British embassies emphasize they cannot pay expat hospital bills

Following a rush of tragic cases in recent months, the British embassies in Thailand and Cambodia are reminding their nationals that medical bills

must be paid by insurers, the patient or willing third parties.

They add on their websites that they cannot fund air tickets to get home, no matter how urgent the crisis.

The Thai government has announced that, with effect from 1 September 2022, yearly retirement visas (minimum age 50), issued by embassies abroad,

will require US$3 million comprehensive medical insurance, but with a separate facility for self-insurance.

These rules will also apply for the annual extension of stay. However, there will still be loopholes as retirees can apply for other visas,

such as the Elite card or some 12 month extensions granted by immigration offices, which don’t require ongoing insurance.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/british-embassies-emphasize-they-cannot-pay-expat-hospital-bills-400795

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

How will that work?

Like most things in Thailand Eff1n2ret, I dont know---they do not seem to give enough forward warning for people to look at different options etc.  My 1 year Visa is due September---so I wish I knew, more details.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

US$3 million comprehensive medical insurance? I know Thai hospitals are expensive, but that seems  excessive.

If this goes through, many will have to leave.

That's 10 Million Baht

That's the actual cover I signed up for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

US$3 million comprehensive medical insurance? I know Thai hospitals are expensive, but that seems  excessive.

Its really OTT isn't it, makes you wonder if there is some link up with insurance companies, I have always thought that hospitals themselves should run an insurance--just for their area, it would be so much cheaper.

• Like 1

The news article purports to pass on new advice from UK Embassies stating their inability to pay for repatriation or hospital costs, but I can't see anything on the Bangkok Embassy website or on the moribund Consular Forum on Asean Now. It seems to be just Barry Kenyon sounding off about the plight of his old pal. I knew John Humphreys a few years back, nice chap, he worked at a well-known visa agent on Soi Post Office. I think he was there for many years, perhaps his employers would like to pick up  the tab for his treatment and accommodation.

Edited by Eff1n2ret
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I understand RafPinto, & I am well covered for most--put 3 girls through Uni here, & 3 back in Oz, & quite comfortable.

But walk a mile in their shoes--broken marriage, finished a lifetime of work with not a great deal to show for it--& there's an opportunity, a small house somewhere warm, a nice lady relaxing last 10-15 years--and these things not mention at the time. You have got to feel for these guys, when they keep moving the goal posts on them.

I understand but why would Thailand care about what's wrong about your life.

A Thai, wanting to settle in Europe f.ex. has also something to show and not just missing the sunset in the Algarve.

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Stay calm everyone, this applies to visas from abroad, not Thailand, so doesn't apply to non imm O applied for in Thailand and extensions

But if you exit the country you still need a Thai pass to return currently, for which you will need to show insurance,  even if you have an extension on a non O, I think I am correct in saying that but I'm sure @ubonjoe could confirm

Edited by Excel

Obviously the "$" was a typo, and it's 3 million baht, not dollars. That's quite reasonable, considering a lot of retirees are in the Death Zone, and the last years of life tend to be the most expensive in terms of medical care. It is hardly fair to foist those costs on to Thai taxpayers or hospitals.

I suspect that an alternative would be offered to people who cannot get insurance, which is to post 3 million baht, rather than the current 800,000, in a Thai bank in order to qualify/renew a visa.

The changes, if enforced, will likely cull the ranks of the retired expat population, but this probably stems from the fact Thailand has been stuck with a lot of deadbeats.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1