British embassies emphasize they cannot pay expat hospital bills

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

British embassy staff  are not employed  to help British people abroad who need help. Yes we know. We've  all known for decades from countries all over  the world.

That is not true. Many British people have been helped by their embassy in times of need, in many countries and over a number of decades. And I've been there for some of them.

They are just reiterating what we should all know when it comes to the matter of medical bills.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It would  be more positive if the embassy  listed all the  ways it does help people.

It would be useful if they explained how and where to get help.

My understanding is that embassy  staff are public  servants paid out of tax payers money.

I would be interested in which schools and universities  they attended and what salaries, tax free they receive.

I wonder if free or cheap medical  insurance comes  with the job?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

This won't change the things much, many don't have even 800k and use agents to get visas. With 3 mil expect the agent fees to triple at least.

That's exactly what the so called "experts" predicted when insurance was mandated for O-A visa holders and when a few embassies decided to stop giving embassy letters. But nothing of that sort happened. IOs and agents know the type of people who come to Thailand and how much they could afford for agent fees. Asking some outrageous price is not going to work for them and they will be out of business soon. They just want a share of the pie from fortunate people who were born in a Western countries but not fortunate enough to become a millionaire and had to migrate to another country permanently after retirement. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It would  be more positive if the embassy  listed all the  ways it does help people.

My understanding is that embassy  staff are public  servants paid out of tax payers money.

I would be interested in which schools and universities  they attended and what salaries, tax free they receive.

they do, i found this information in about 10 seconds, all you need to do is look...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-british-nationals-abroad-a-guide/support-for-british-nationals-abroad-a-guide

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gearbox said:

They are not irresponsible, they are just poor. And it's not a crime to be poor. Everyone struggles for better place under the sun.

Yes, it's not a crime to be poor, but it is selfish to expect Thai people or Thai hospitals to pay for an expat's ailments or care when he enters the Death Zone. No adult can be surprised that old age and decline comes with high medical costs, so there is no excuse for not planning ahead. If one cannot cover expected costs or get insurance, they should not be in a foreign country, imposing their needs on others. THAT IS irresponsible. This seems obvious, but reading through this thread it seems it is not obvious to some.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

15 people have given this comment a 'like'. Does that mean 15 people have had 'things ruined'. How?

By someone  having an accident?

Probably "knee-jerking"....buttons pressed by thoughts of those paying excessive bar-fines, encouraging "tipping" at Immigration etc, rather than considering the actual toplc on it's own merit.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, chuang said:
On 6/9/2022 at 12:21 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Who blamed the Thai government for not helping whom with what?

You reckon it's not rocket science...

What?  I said nothing about "rocket science" but I do reckon you're not a rocket scientist!

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wrong OA extensions based upon retirement do need proof of insurance at extension time.

Wrong and rather presumptuous? Go back and re-read. I was not referring to O-A at all, as wasn't the o/p.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh

On 6/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

UK Embassy employees are civil servants and unless locally engaged (only a few are) they get paid in the same way and at the same rate as other UK civil servants.  The recruitment process is the same too. Tax is paid at UK rates.  Bangkok based staff also get a "hardship" allowance, which I believe is quite generous and makes the posting quite popular, although very few staff do more than a few years here.  There are substantially fewer staff now, since the visa issuing service was moved back to the UK (or India).

Hope this helps.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

UK Embassy employees are civil servants and unless locally engaged (only a few are) they get paid in the same way and at the same rate as other UK civil servants.  The recruitment process is the same too. Tax is paid at UK rates.  Bangkok based staff also get a "hardship" allowance, which I believe is quite generous and makes the posting quite popular, although very few staff do more than a few years here.  There are substantially fewer staff now, since the visa issuing service was moved back to the UK (or India).

Hope this helps.

No it doesn't help really but actually avoids the issues.

Yes I know they are civil servants. I stated that but used the more modern and real term public  servants.

"Tax is paid at UK rates"

Which means THEY DON'T  PAY ANY TAX if they  are out of the UK  for a substantial amount of time.

"The recruitment  process is the same"

This is meaninglessness in terms of identifying the class background, privates schools and Oxford and Cambridge  background of the chosen recruits.

I hope that helps.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 12:36 PM, RafPinto said:

If this goes through, many will have to leave.

That's 10 Million Baht

That's the actual cover I signed up for.

I’m pretty sure the requirement is 3Million Baht but if it was 3Million USD it would be  >100Million Baht!

FWIW I have the Pacific Cross “Visa Friendly” policy which covers me for 3.5Million THB, $100,000 seems to be what they’re aiming for. 

56 & with 100K Voluntary excess & no outpatient cover it came in at around 27K this year.

it’s good to see that they finally understand not everybody can get insurance.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, grain said:

And isn't that's what the 800,000 THB in a Thai bank all about?

This is probably enough for one stent in a government hospital. You are probably in very good health as you have no idea of the cost of health care here in Thailand.

• Sad 1

On 6/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, sanuk711 said:

That's correct Excel--I live up near the Laos border and was going to have a few days there--they have the high speed train , through to China (which I would give a miss)  or Luang Prabang--lovely place, but yes lots problems on Thai side-get insurance if you are coming back etc.

You only need $10K Covid insurance which can be got for approx 600 THB up to the age of 85 

• Like 2