British embassies emphasize they cannot pay expat hospital bills

On 6/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, Excel said:

But if you exit the country you still need a Thai pass to return currently, for which you will need to show insurance,  even if you have an extension on a non O, I think I am correct in saying that but I'm sure @ubonjoe could confirm

That for only 10000 baht Covid insurance costs about 1000 baht per month 

Just now, cnx101 said:

Just now, cnx101 said:

Just now, cnx101 said:

Just now, cnx101 said:

Sorry I think 10000 usd but it’s not expensive 

US$3 million for a long term visa - This is extraordinary!  I’ve read the original article and I’m wondering if they made a mistake and the actual amount is 3m THB?

Travel insurance policies quite often include this type of coverage (US$3m), but they are usually only for a limited period of time and only cover accidents and other unforeseen events that would constitute an emergency, and as such are affordable, but still expensive, especially if you’re  getting on in years.  Even high-end international expat policies for foreign workers usually don’t include this type of cover and if they do, it’s usually a group policy that covers all staff, so the overall cost to the employer is still affordable.

I’m currently sourcing a full international health insurance policy  for living in Thailand and to cover me when outside Thailand, and the best in-patient cover I can find is for the equivalent of about US$2m, and if I buy this policy it’s going to cost me about $US5,000/year (I’m over 60).  This policy still excludes the USA and Singapore, so I’ll probably opt for slightly lower cover and a deductible of at least US$500 to keep the premium affordable.

I’m all for insurance, but US$3m is crazy.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:36 PM, RafPinto said:

If this goes through, many will have to leave.

That's 10 Million Baht

That's the actual cover I signed up for.

US$3 million on current exchange rate of about US$1 = Baht 35 => Baht 105 million!!!!

I wonder what the annual policy cost would be for someone age 60-69 - Baht 10 million pa; aged 70-79 - Baht 30 million pa?

On 6/11/2022 at 11:51 AM, Mike Teavee said:

I’m pretty sure the requirement is 3Million Baht but if it was 3Million USD it would be  >100Million Baht!

FWIW I have the Pacific Cross “Visa Friendly” policy which covers me for 3.5Million THB, $100,000 seems to be what they’re aiming for. 

56 & with 100K Voluntary excess & no outpatient cover it came in at around 27K this year.

it’s good to see that they finally understand not everybody can get insurance.

Thanks for the info! Not so bad after all:

Not my real birth date:

311719112_ThePlansAge.jpg.110e537276e21b30806a1474e75148b1.jpg

1459956886_ThePlanOptions900.jpg.b01795a81bc63b9987e5c3e49a7dde3b.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 1:26 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Stay calm everyone, this applies to visas from abroad, not Thailand, so doesn't apply to non imm O applied for in Thailand and extensions

Does this mean that a person like me (78 years) - with Non Imm O extension - who cannot get any health insurance will have to stay in Thailand without possibility to visit family in Europe?

On 6/9/2022 at 12:44 PM, RafPinto said:

I am aware of this but before making a move like that, I will make sure that I can afford my move.
Private health insurance, private school for daughter and a decent home.

Coming here, living in a 4000Baht room and eating 40baht food everyday, sorry, I stay where I come from.

not everyone can have that choice or be so lucky..i know some great people who live in 4000 baht condo and eat cheap food...just sayin

• Like 2

If a person moves to another country,  that country is not responsible for them. 
If a person moves to another country there home country is not responsible either.  That person is taking a huge risk by not having health insurance.  
Thailand is not obligated to give expats health insurance or free or discount health care. 
I don’t blame the Thai government for wanting foreigners to have a certain amount of health insurance.  It’s not your country and they basically have nothing to do with you. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 3:11 PM, Kwasaki said:

What if no insurance company will insure people over a certain age. 

Insurance can be settled at any age here post 65, or even later. All you have to have is the funds to pay the annual premiums. I have superb, well priced for policy featiures (which is absolutely everything unto top-flight hospitalisation etc), no excess, or gap fee private recognised insurance here and it works seamlessly. Its also international ex USA. I pay about $1200 a year more than pre-65 aged insured as a post 65 retiree with UNTIL DEATH coverage.

4 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Insurance can be settled at any age here post 65, or even later. All you have to have is the funds to pay the annual premiums. I have superb, well priced for policy featiures (which is absolutely everything unto top-flight hospitalisation etc), no excess, or gap fee private recognised insurance here and it works seamlessly. Its also international ex USA. I pay about $1200 a year more than pre-65 aged insured as a post 65 retiree with UNTIL DEATH coverage.

If you can afford 1200 dollars per year on a pension good for you, there are many who cannot for one reason or another.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Not completely true, as many over 70's can not obtain insurance here if they have not been previously Insured by a Thai company while here.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

How will that work? I am "self-insured", i.e. have a pot of money reserved for my healthcare which I've never touched and have always managed to pay out of current income. I keep that in the UK. As mentioned in another thread, the authorities have shot themselves in the foot by insisting on the 800k you have to show for retirement extension remaining in your bank, so it can't be used to pay a hospital bill, and if you die your inheritor can spend the dosh how they want.

Yes pretty stupid rule ,if you use the 800k for an emergency like a hospital bill than one can't get an extension .

The rule should be 400K for retirement not married and 800K for a married extension .Married is double the trouble  not married is one person trouble.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

Moonlover was is "grandfathered". Do you mean that Immigration would turn a blind eye and accept that the over 75's are unable to get the necessary insurance?  Just asking

Non O extended every year and have a Thai wife best way. 

If she works for govt or govt hospital even better. ????

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 5:56 AM, KhunLA said:

Thanks again to the irresponsible expats and tourist who ruin things for everyone else.

That’s why I believe that tourists, on tourist visas or extensions, should need a travel insurance. I’ve had one since I started traveling, and would never go without.  Compared to the price of your holiday , it’s not expensive. Make it mandatory.  I doubt many real expats run up horrific bills and disappear.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:01 AM, Kwasaki said:

Why not save your money and just do 6 monthly or 1 year health check that's what I do at 75 next b/day.

and what about the honesty of some Thai doctors? Won't they try it on in some way to get money out of you? Have we not seen how they have behaved when the pandemic was at it's peak.

I think most of the AN/TV members know what I am talking about here.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:41 AM, Walker88 said:

Yes, it's not a crime to be poor, but it is selfish to expect Thai people or Thai hospitals to pay for an expat's ailments or care when he enters the Death Zone. No adult can be surprised that old age and decline comes with high medical costs, so there is no excuse for not planning ahead. If one cannot cover expected costs or get insurance, they should not be in a foreign country, imposing their needs on others. THAT IS irresponsible. This seems obvious, but reading through this thread it seems it is not obvious to some.

and what about all those who impose their medical needs on the people in my country? Thais included.

15 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Thanks for the info! Not so bad after all:

Not my real birth date:

311719112_ThePlansAge.jpg.110e537276e21b30806a1474e75148b1.jpg

1459956886_ThePlanOptions900.jpg.b01795a81bc63b9987e5c3e49a7dde3b.jpg

Mister Prakan (https://misterprakan.com/th/main?lg=en) is a great site for comparing the costs/coverage of different insurance policies. 

(Apologies if this was the site you used, I’m travelling & it’s hard to tell from my phone, but might be useful to others anyway).

Edited by Mike Teavee

15 hours ago, fvw53 said:

Does this mean that a person like me (78 years) - with Non Imm O extension - who cannot get any health insurance will have to stay in Thailand without possibility to visit family in Europe?

No, you only need to $10,000 Covid insurance which can be purchased by anybody < 85 for approx 600 THB for the 30 day cover you need.

https://partner.fwdgi.co.th/en/fwdgi/corona-virus-inbound-insurance?utm_source=tqmbroker

The thing is simple. An embassy should never pay for an individuals problem in a foreign country. They are there to represent the country and help with rules, regulations and documents needed for citizens of the specific country they represent.

It´s not too much of Thailand to ask people who want to live in the country to be insured. That, because it´s neither their job to pay for individual foreigners accidents, illness or whatever they can cook up.

Started with simple, ending with simple. If many people have to leave, then so be it. A person should never settle in a foreign country if they just talk the talk and are unable to walk the walk.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

The thing is simple. An embassy should never pay for an individuals problem in a foreign country. They are there to represent the country and help with rules, regulations and documents needed for citizens of the specific country they represent.

It´s not too much of Thailand to ask people who want to live in the country to be insured. That, because it´s neither their job to pay for individual foreigners accidents, illness or whatever they can cook up.

Started with simple, ending with simple. If many people have to leave, then so be it. A person should never settle in a foreign country if they just talk the talk and are unable to walk the walk.

Yet many do settle in a country like Thailand and still live without proper insurance, choosing to go the agent route instead.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet many do settle in a country like Thailand and still live without proper insurance, choosing to go the agent route instead.  

Yes, unfortunately cheap at first but an expensive lesson later for many.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What's the agent route got to do with insurance? There are plenty of people who have poor health insurance which is just a waste of money, might as well save up and use it against medical costs in the future. If you're going to do it it has to be a decent farang one

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

What's the agent route got to do with insurance? There are plenty of people who have poor health insurance which is just a waste of money, might as well save up and use it against medical costs in the future. If you're going to do it it has to be a decent farang one

You evidently missed it, they use an agent and don't end up purchasing the needed insurance as the agent plays the game.....They never have insurance, unless they try and do the self insured route.  The 800K in the bank was supposed to be the fix all, waiting on that to be increased to 3 million one day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

and what about the honesty of some Thai doctors? Won't they try it on in some way to get money out of you? Have we not seen how they have behaved when the pandemic was at it's peak.

I think most of the AN/TV members know what I am talking about here.

I got my 2 covid injections and 1 booster from our local govt hospital where I am registered which we're free.

The Thai doctor I am under for 4 monthly check ups doesn't try to get money from me he works for the hospital, I don't understand what you mean. 

Edited by Kwasaki