Map of flooded areas in Eastern Pattaya in the past

moogradod

My wife is now seriously looking for a house in Pattaya and greater surroundings - where prices are still "affordable" like on the Darkside. Land 1-2 Rai with one finished house with at least two baths and a BIG kitchen.

To prevent to buy property that is prone to be flooded some time the topology of the land is of importance. Does anybody know if a map exists which shows flooded areas in the past years (there were several events flooding large landscapes due to rain and water excess carried from the north - I remember all the cars parked on the bridges of BKK and we were nearly cut off in the south as well). And if there is excess water accumulating, then it is in Pattaya, even a short shower has quite some impact.

Google Earth can be your friend. Hover over any location and it will tell you the elevation of the land.

For example, my property on the darkside is 50m above sea level and never floods. 1km down the road, near the corner of Kao Talo and the railway road it floods all the time and the elevation is only 22m.

You can see the elevation at the bottom right of the desktop version, just to the left of the eye altitude.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Google Earth can be your friend. Hover over any location and it will tell you the elevation of the land.

For example, my property on the darkside is 50m above sea level and never floods. 1km down the road, near the corner of Kao Talo and the railway road it floods all the time and the elevation is only 22m.

You can see the elevation at the bottom right of the desktop version, just to the left of the eye altitude.

Great idea and your indications may even serve as some sort of calibration. Google Earth is my friend already and thank you to you, Woof999, too. Now what is only needed is the property. Please everybody with a nice house, some land which may be used to plant fruits, vegetables, plants (my wife loves it) needing cash immediately apply if they pass the Google test (elevation > 50m) ????

Any hints on how to get Google Maps giving you the elevation. It does not seem to work on my version. Do I need to download something ?

An other questions is, what would be the reference point for the elevation. 

Thanks....

35 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

Any hints on how to get Google Maps giving you the elevation. It does not seem to work on my version. Do I need to download something ?

An other questions is, what would be the reference point for the elevation. 

It's not on Google Maps. Its on Google Earth. Install Google Earth Pro desktop (its free) and it shows elevs and profiles as well as 3D imagery.

The elevation reference is the mathematical model of mean sea level. It will be every approximate as its measured by satellite, but should give a good idea.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

An other questions is, what would be the reference point for the elevation

Likely sea level.

A lot of the dark-side floods and another problem is with the installation of drainage, that moves around a bit too. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bbko said:

I live on the Darkside, when the big rain comes, flooding mostly occurs on Khao Talo and Khao Noi.

Didn't a rather long stretch of the Railway Line Bypass Rd end up deep underwater about 2 years ago.... seem to recollect a story of a vehicle being swept away.