Thailand on 170,000 baht a month

LaosLover

On 6/12/2022 at 12:58 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Personal trainers - private teachers LOL

why's that funny? I was hoping to do the same but then when I got over here I decided I'm really too lazy to do either exercise or learn Thai ????

On 6/12/2022 at 1:13 AM, Baron Samedi said:

I don't even comprehend how you can spend more than 40,000THB a month in a country like Thailand.

That's 4 times what a Thai person would usually spend.

It's around 40k baht a month I spend on my 3 girlfriends to keep me entertained. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:
1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's around 40k baht a month I spend on my 3 girlfriends to keep me entertained.

Why would you bother with girlfriends in a country like Thailand?

I rotate the stock regularly, out with the old in with the new. 

A new and exciting experiences makes life more interesting. 

Variety is the spice of life. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

My point exactly. So let me ask you again. Why do you bother with girlfriends?

21 hours ago, Hummin said:

And in reality we all sitting here on the terrace in a random Isan village surrounded by dogs and chickens, in our chang tank top solving world problems drinking lao kao from a plastic cup. 

What on earth does your post have to do with what I posted?           Have you had a bit too much of lao kao?   ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:
5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

My point exactly. So let me ask you again. Why do you bother with girlfriends?

I don't keep the same gf for long. 

I'm always swapping out a gf for a new model at anytime. 

Having the 3 girlfriend's and rotating is a lot better than being married

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

41 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

As the song goes "I'm just a gigilo"

Just a gigolo
Everywhere I go
People know the part
I'm playing

Paid for every dance
Selling each romance
Every night some heart
Betraying

There will come a day
Youth will pass away
Then what will they say
About me

When the end comes I know
They'll say just a gigolo
As life goes on
Without me
Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Where do you live?

I'm in Pattaya, met my wife here when she was 17yo, she's the mother of my teenage children, she's OK, we live apart, I have a good relationship with her 

I like having the girlfriend's. 

I don't reckon I'd settle down again. 

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Dude your hopeless. I own a car and motororbike  i have lived in the Silom Area for years, still here. Yes 5pm is backed up bad but so are those times in other major cities around the world, it's commute time...lol. If you don't want to drive, take the MRT or BTS, cheap and easy.  I drive daily and of course living here know the best times to drive the car or ride the motorbike.  Seems your a hater.  Air pollution is everywhere, give it a rest.

Some people have open minds while yours is closed.  We travel around daily, in fact this weekend we drove down to Wat Bang Phli and the l Bang Na Area, visiting the surrounding Areas.  Walked 20km while down there and found some more great shopping. To go 32km took all of 25 minutes, the return home, yes Sunday night traffic, to 30 minutes.  We live of off Rama 4 near the 2 large parks Benjakati and Lumpini, great big green Areas and not far off Sukhumvit.  My bet is you have never been to either 

We are not talking about everywhere. Why do you keep bring that up?

The  OP is talking downtown Bangkok. 

You already admitted traffic and pollution are a problem; exactly as I stated.

No need to sugar coat it.

2 great parks in a concrete city of 16,000,000 people.

Not a hater, when someone asks me a question, I try to tell them the truth.

People can deal with the truth and make their own decisions.

Sugar coating is only a major disappointment when they find out the truth.

37 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

We are not talking about everywhere. Why do you keep bring that up?

The  OP is talking downtown Bangkok. 

You already admitted traffic and pollution are a problem; exactly as I stated.

No need to sugar coat it.

Not a hater, when someone asks me a question, I try to tell them the truth.

People can deal with the truth and make their own decisions.

Sugar coating is only a major disappointment when they find out the truth.

No truth to your BS I am afraid. More than 2 parks also. Seems you have never lived in Bangkok.  Candy coated no.  You want to play the game, I call troll and former banned member.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

We are not talking about everywhere.

Again wrong on the population as well....

Bangkok population in 2022 is estimated to be 10.72 million, and covers area of 1,568 sq km. It is known in Thai as Krung Thep, official name meaning the City of Gods, the Great City.

https://www.populationu.com/cities/bangkok-population#:~:text=Bangkok population in 2022 is,of Gods%2C the Great City.

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's even better to have no girlfriend and just hit the town when needed.

You'd save a great deal of money.

This thread has been really helpful for me in sorting out what I really want out of Bangkok living, so thanks, one and all.

The only places where a gym and a language school are close together are at major BTS stations. These locations will all have older hotels with a mini-fridge nearby too. If I add a few bits like a pod coffee maker and a toaster, we're good to go for a long time. This appears doable for 1,000 baht night, on a long stay discount rate.  

When my language skills are better and I've spent a lot of time lunching around in various neighborhoods, I'll know where I want to be, and that very well may not be in Bangkok. Our constraints are that my wife can't take the heat and I am prone to respiratory infection.

But we'd still possibly rather be uncomfortable with these issues in Bangkok than live down south. I have a lot of affection for Ubon, but it's just too hot too much of the year. Chiang Rai is likely our second choice, even with all of its trade offs (no uni for westerners).

We def want a high end gym and a real trainer twice a week, we are allocating 5,000 baht a month for the two of us. The saving on this compared to America are about 75%. This is a must-do investment in ourselves.

I took some stick for wanting to eat out in high end places, but when I made a list, it was only 30 restaurants in Bangkok. We're going to do them all in 2 months and do a v-log or something about it.

I can't believe the number of top of the line Italian restaurants there are (I dare not assign a star rating). And then, glutted to death, we probably wouldn't do it that much again. So let's call it a one time spend of 120,000 baht for the culinary experience of a lifetime. Call it 20,000 a month for nice restaurants thereafter and 20,000 for every other drop of food we consume.

Let's toss in 1000 baht a day walking around money and 10,000 a month for phones, internet, health insurance and whatever. Another 15K for language school and some shared private lessons.

All that comes to 130,000 baht a month. Am I over or under?

9 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

It's even better to have no girlfriend and just hit the town when needed.

You'd save a great deal of money.

I'm not here to save money. 

Thailand is for relaxing, enjoying yourself, the pleasures in life, it baffles me why people come to Thailand to save money, especially those that come here to work.

I've worked in Thailand, down in Songkla, offshore, I saved alot of money, nowhere to spend it, only good point was there were quite a few beautiful Thai lady engineers onboard. 

Life is short, you shouldn't torture yourself by saving money when in such a special place like Thailand.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Life is short, you shouldn't torture yourself by saving money when in such a special place like Thailand.

It has nothing to do with torturing myself ????

Hacking a given system to get the best out of it is pretty fun and satisfactory.

Of course you could just pay what you've been asked to pay and let them rip you off in the name of ataraxia every single time. But where is the fun in that ?

Anyways...

Up to you, up to me, right? ✌️

32 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I'm pushing 70 and have no heirs. I may as well order the biggest prawns I see, even tho beyond a half a kilo apiece it's diminishing returns.

You could adopt a charity to donate what's left upon your untimely demise, like you know maybe the "Bar Girls Endowment Fund", or the "Ring the Bell Foundation", or a "Filet Minon a day group"...etc

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

"Bar Girls Endowment Fund"

I have given money to the Cabbages and Condoms charity in the past and will continue to support them.

Their ex-monk founder used to go around in a giant condom outfit passing out condoms in the night life district. He said "If people are laughing at you, they are listening to you" -classic Thai wisdom.

Edited by LaosLover