Can I apply for a new passport 2# whilst in Thailand and then travel out of the Thailand with the other passport 1#

Hi

I’m a frequent traveler so I hold 2 UK passports, same name different passport numbers with 3 day difference in issued-expiry date.

Lets say Passport 1# is used for Thailand and work, Passport 2# is used for other (its mostly an emergency use case)

My question can I apply for a new passport 2# whilst in Thailand and then travel out of the Thailand with the other passport 1#

Note

Passport 1# will be used to enter Thailand and will be used to exit.

I’d like to renew Passport 2# which doesn’t have any valid Thailand visa’s in it at that time of application.

Do they check that? Will they think I’m overstaying ???

Should I use an agent, since I won’t be in Thailand for the whole period ???

Obviously your old passport will be destroyed or deactivated when the new one is handed to you. So obviously you can't fly out with your old one (how is this not common sense unless you have a business passport >< ).

Transfer your visa or get it done back home.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Obviously your old passport will be destroyed or deactivated when the new one is handed to you.

He has 2 valid passports. He wants to renew the passport that has no stamps for Thailand in it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He has 2 valid passports. He wants to renew the passport that has no stamps for Thailand in it.

Well if you have 2 valid passports, you obviously need to leave with the one holding your visa too. I Have a business and personal passport too, with 1 having the visa, that is the one I need to use (logic and common sense tho).

You also needed to declare your second passport on arrival.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Re-read the OP!

Re-read the article. Comes down to the same stuff anyways, you need to either use the passport with your visa or transfer your visa to another passport. 

Whether you can extend or renew the passport(s)  is up to the embassy and country anyway. They often refuse it if they see a 2nd one without recent relevant reasons for it, again depends on country and embassy / gov desk.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously. and exactly what he said he planned to do!

What else would he plan to do, that is the only thing a person with logic and common sense would do. That makes the entire question so stupid lol.

Or people now think they could leave on a passport without a visa, or without the visa transf. into it?

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What else would he plan to do, that is the only thing a person with logic and common sense would do. That makes the entire question so stupid lol.

Or people now think they could leave on a passport without a visa, or without the visa transf. into it?

He was asking about his other passport that he knows he cannot use.

11 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Well if you have 2 valid passports, you obviously need to leave with the one holding your visa too. I Have a business and personal passport too, with 1 having the visa, that is the one I need to use (logic and common sense tho).

He has one passport that he only uses to enter Thailand. He is renewing the one that he uses for travel to other countries.

12 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You also needed to declare your second passport on arrival.

As far as I know Thailand does not require you to dealer your 2nd passport when entering the country. Only if you switched passport when returning to Thailand would they ever know about the 2nd one.

Be careful i have posted links for applying from overseas, section 3 is important, you have to declare all current passports and according to section 3 THEY have to be sent with application, there was a poster on here about 2 months ago who sent his passport to the UK  and had a family member send the passport, (his passport only had a few weeks to run and not enough time in Thailand to do it) they would not process it until he sent his other UK passport, i would check with ukvi in Thailand if you have to send the second passport or if they would just copy, please let us know the outcome, do not lie and say you do not have another passport as they know you have.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/462278/OS_Form_010.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/791959/6.4824_HMPO_Overseas_Guidance_Booklet_Applying_outside_the_uk.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passports-guidance/applying-for-a-passport-from-outside-the-uk-guidance-notes-accessible

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, howerde said:

Be careful i have posted links for applying from overseas, section 3 is important, you have to declare all current passports and according to section 3 THEY have to be sent with application, there was a poster on here about 2 months ago who sent his passport to the UK  and had a family member send the passport, (his passport only had a few weeks to run and not enough time in Thailand to do it) they would not process it until he sent his other UK passport, i would check with ukvi in Thailand if you have to send the second passport or if they would just copy, please let us know the outcome, do not lie and say you do not have another passport as they know you have.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/462278/OS_Form_010.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/791959/6.4824_HMPO_Overseas_Guidance_Booklet_Applying_outside_the_uk.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passports-guidance/applying-for-a-passport-from-outside-the-uk-guidance-notes-accessible

interesting point, i have approx. 18 months so i will try and follow due process and not hide anything

I'll update you what happens

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, howerde said:

they would not process it until he sent his other UK passport

That's strange. One of the main reasons for being issued a second passport is to be able to travel if one is locked up in a visa or renewal procedure. At least that's what it states in the letter from my employer I have to show when i renew mine. (I have done what the OP intends to do several times, although not with a British passport)

I can't speak for UK procedures. But if you have to send them both in at renewal, it would undermine the main point of being issued dual passports in the first place.

Also, section 3 does not mention this exact situation. It lists expired passports, passports included as a child, and passports from other countries.

3 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

That's strange. One of the main reasons for being issued a second passport is to be able to travel if one is locked up in a visa or renewal procedure. At least that's what it states in the letter from my employer I have to show when i renew mine. (I have done what the OP intends to do several times, although not with a British passport)

I can't speak for UK procedures. But if you have to send them both in at renewal, it would undermine the main point of being issued dual passports in the first place.

Also, section 3 does not mention this exact situation. It lists expired passports, passports included as a child, and passports from other countries.

unfortunately as per the form 3.B I MUST send ALL uncancelled, 

however you are correct, that defeats the purpose of having 2 passports.

So I will ask an agent what he thinks. 

image.png.42a81b028ed940d3a632885cedfd5bb3.png

5 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

It does cover this see section 3b, all uncancelled passports to be sent

A Has the person named in section 2 had any sort of passport (British or otherwise) or been included in any passport before? B You must send us all uncancelled passports with the application (say how many in the box). If the passports are lost or stolen, go to 3C.

19 minutes ago, bolt said:

interesting point, i have approx. 18 months so i will try and follow due process and not hide anything

I'll update you what happens

I am in this situation as well next year, hence my interest

• Thanks 1

VFS now (well the last time I did it) hand out a letter template (you complete your own details) for you to take to Thai immigration to transfer your visa across to your new passport. I too have 2 current UK passports and have previously managed to transfer the visa across (I actually have PR now). But after taking your expiring passport to be renewed to VFS, you could ask for the transfer letter, and then be prepared to cut the corner on your old passport to show Thai Immigration that it has been cancelled (VFS only usually do this when you pick up your new passport, which could take 11 weeks or so during which time you wouldn't be able to travel). I've heard from colleagues though that Thai Immigration are getting more difficult about this. You could say that you're going down from 2 passports to 1 and not renewing your old passport, then presumably they would have to transfer it across - although they may ask for a letter to prove that..... FWIW.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He has one passport that he only uses to enter Thailand. He is renewing the one that he uses for travel to other countries.

As far as I know Thailand does not require you to dealer your 2nd passport when entering the country. Only if you switched passport when returning to Thailand would they ever know about the 2nd one.

I don't know but it could apply to a holder of a Diplomatic passport.

unfortunately i have chickened out and made an application online

the process was extremely easy and i only have to send my old passport

I will be sending an attached letter stating i need( currently hold 2 passports from UK) the will support my application 

FYI

the passport photo section allows you to upload a picture and the website scans it for you and gives you a score if its acceptable for use, so that's very handy

the website says 11 weeks turnaround which seems ok, since i have the other passport.

the online cost is cheaper also 115 GBP for 50 page Frequent traveler passport, i need to go to post office and send passport 

image.png.d98e8f97065fa66d54e409d940501d61.png 

21 minutes ago, bolt said:

unfortunately i have chickened out and made an application online

the process was extremely easy and i only have to send my old passport

I will be sending an attached letter stating i need( currently hold 2 passports from UK) the will support my application 

FYI

the passport photo section allows you to upload a picture and the website scans it for you and gives you a score if its acceptable for use, so that's very handy

the website says 11 weeks turnaround which seems ok, since i have the other passport.

the online cost is cheaper also 115 GBP for 50 page Frequent traveler passport, i need to go to post office and send passport 

image.png.d98e8f97065fa66d54e409d940501d61.png 

That's what I did, but they decided to run me through the mill, requiring the covering letter to explain the need for a second passport. Unfortunately I did not need it for "business purposes" any longer, and they objected after 42 years in existence.

After an excruciatingly frustrating exchange of correspondence, over many more weeks than the target 4 weeks turnaround, I think I finally persuaded them that there is a valid reason stated in their website for "frequent travelers" needing to use one whilst another is in somewhere for visa applications. I say think, because I received a notification that my application was now being processed, after I'd sent a letter noting the above and an offer to relinquish my currently valid passport. At this stage they've made no specific requests, so I assume they have simply capitulated, as I've not yet received the renewal passport.

Edited by Tofer

9 minutes ago, Tofer said:

That's what I did, but they decided to run me through the mill, requiring the covering letter to explain the need for a second passport. Unfortunately I did not need it for "business purposes" any longer, and they objected after 42 years in existence.

After an excruciatingly frustrating exchange of correspondence, over many more weeks than the target 4 weeks turnaround, I think I finally persuaded them that there is a valid reason stated in their website for "frequent travelers" needing to use one whilst another is in somewhere for visa applications. I say think, because I received a notification that my application was now being processed, after I'd sent a letter noting the above and an offer to relinquish my currently valid passport. At this stage they've made no specific requests, so I assume they have simply capitulated, as I've not yet received the renewal passport.

did they put your application on HOLD until letter was received or was it on HOLD due to having another passport in the system ?

also

can you share the Passport Peoples email for correspondence, i will email them my letter as well as attaching it to the passport 

On 6/13/2022 at 7:28 AM, MajorTom said:

To put it in a nutshell this is a graphic illustration of how Her Majesty's Passport Office in the UK have IMHO even surpassed the Thai Immigration Bureau in the complete mastery of the totally illogical by a country mile!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bolt said:

did they put your application on HOLD until letter was received or was it on HOLD due to having another passport in the system ?

also

can you share the Passport Peoples email for correspondence, i will email them my letter as well as attaching it to the passport 

https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/Passport_Enquiries.ofml

Everything goes on hold when they ask a question or for additional information.

I only had the one passport in for renewal, but it was a second passport, and they decided to object to it.

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

To put it in a nutshell this is a graphic illustration of how Her Majesty's Passport Office in the UK have IMHO even surpassed the Thai Immigration Bureau in the complete mastery of the totally illogical by a country mile!

Not only illogical, but inept, inefficient and totally disinterested. They are a private outsource company that handles passport applications and, it appears, they are more concerned with finding excuses to justify not meeting their required performance targets, since they are clearly overwhelmed with the current volume of applications.

I had 2 other applications for my wife and Son's passport renewals, and they have withdrawn them stating they have not received their documents, but I have their own acknowledgement email confirming receipt of documents, as well as my courier tracking confirmation of delivery. I'm still arguing over those....