Departure/arrival card (TM6) temporary scrapped

20 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Just arrived in Singapore. On line arrival card/ health declaration. Hand over passport, look at camera and off you go. Email follows to confirm your legal entry. No stamp in passport. It can be easy Thailand 

But, without all that paperwork to shuffle and check over and over at immigration offices all over Thailand, what would all those IO's who have purchased their jobs for life do? And how would those officials selling the jobs for life manage with such a drastic cut in their income?

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nchuckle said:

But have you noticed how EVERYTHING just works in Singapore?! Top of the PISA educational tables and two world ranked universities. Thailand has a long way to go.

Unfair to compare with Singapore, a medium-sized city on an island which is basically a giant hamster cage. And far from perfect, e.g. they screwed up big time at the beginning of Covid when it would have been so easy for them to contain it. But many things Thailand should learn from them, I agree.

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am of the opinion somehow that this is going to confuse a lot of expats, thinking it includes them, however it doesn't, it's for tourists only, that said, if returning to Thailand make sure you have your TM6 card stapled in the passport by immigration, otherwise I am sure life will be a little difficult when it comes to your 90 day reporting and extensions.

I.E. Unless I read this wrong. 

There is now nowhere and no requirement to fill in TM6 number in the new online 90 day reporting. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Just arrived in Singapore. On line arrival card/ health declaration. Hand over passport, look at camera and off you go. Email follows to confirm your legal entry. No stamp in passport. It can be easy Thailand 

Of course it can. Look at rival Cambodia, Myanmar etc that have easy online visas.  With todays tech, it should be dead easy. All main airports today are automated for most tourists. I’m sorry, I don’t think Thailand has the “ know how” and are hopeless when it comes to tech. Lack of real professionalism . 

5 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

so no tm6  But still have to report to immigration within 24 hours of arrival.. 

i fly back here in August and the arrival time and the time it takes me to get back north is either impossible or expensive ..i thought could do on line but the io said report back here within 24  hrs 

no leeway..eh 

Does that involve any paperwork reporting on your return?

Any particular officer to report too?  (jomtiem/Pattaya)

22 hours ago, worrab said:

Have to wait for the details for those of us doing 90 day reports and extension of stay.

Shouldn't be an issue for online 90-day reporting under the new system which doesn't require TM6 numbers to be provided.

11 hours ago, cnx101 said:

In this day and age passports should be done away with, should just be able to walk through a scanner that gives all your information automatically from eyes face fingers, and all arrival and exit details sent too you automatically, but maybe I’m thinking 500 years ahead.

Definitely high time that some way was found of sparing us Brits who live out in the sticks those bloody route marches we're required to make to Bangkok every 10 years, I think!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Maybe the suspension will be part of an update in the online 90-day report too. As I entered Thailand many years ago (pre-2016) and have never left the country, my TM6 code is not in the 90-day database for online reporting. As such I get rejected from online reporting. So I use Thailand Post EMS. Dependable (but still fail sometimes to get by return mail my receipt with next report date) but involves local travel to Post.

The new online 90-day reporting system doesn't require TM6 numbers to be entered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This is only for tourists, keep filling in your TM6 until advised otherwise.

So how are we long stay non-immigrants supposed to lay our hands on this hallowed card for completion if they ain't handed out on the plane whisking us back to LOS from a trip to foreign parts any longer?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This is only for tourists, keep filling in your TM6 until advised otherwise.

There is nothing in the news article posted on page 1 about it being only for tourists.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Tourists don't need to do them and this impacts those mostly. 

I still have my arrival card dated 26 May 2009 when I finally arrived back home on retirement. It has been scanned and a copy goes to mt extension every year,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Definitely high time that some way was found of sparing us Brits who live out in the sticks those bloody route marches we're required to make to Bangkok every 10 years, I think!

Trains, planes and automobiles. Great movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

sparing us Brits

I sometimes wonder if us British should still be considered special in all and every case even though we were brought up to think so after the empire was gone, influence overseas was gone, the national football teams are down the pan etc etc. Then after Stokes and Bairstow performances yesterday I woke up and realised why the world should still consider us special. All us Brits need now is for the world to actually believe it ????

Edited by Excel
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is nothing in the news article posted on page 1 about it being only for tourists.

Hi Joe, your absolutely correct, i.e. nothing on the posted page about it being only for tourists, however I did read the other day that it said tourists, that said I just spent 15 minutes trying to find the article, here is an extract, copy and pasted and the article I read.

The cabinet on Tuesday agreed to temporarily lift the requirement for tourists to fill in a TM6 arrival/departure card, to ease overcrowding at airports.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
removed link to Bangkok Post (forum rule)

10 hours ago, nchuckle said:

But have you noticed how EVERYTHING just works in Singapore?! Top of the PISA educational tables and two world ranked universities. Thailand has a long way to go.

Ah. But Singapore was colonised by the Brits, which would explain a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

So how are we long stay non-immigrants supposed to lay our hands on this hallowed card for completion if they ain't handed out on the plane whisking us back to LOS from a trip to foreign parts any longer?

I would have thought you could ask for one at the check in counter.

16 hours ago, orchidfan said:

There is now nowhere and no requirement to fill in TM6 number in the new online 90 day reporting. 

I've only done it on the new system once, so can't confirm what your stating, but don't doubt it, that said, pretty sure you are required to have it when completing your extension.

Each to their own, until I read somewhere retired or married expats do not require to fill them in when returning to Thailand, I will keep filing them in as I don't consider myself a tourist.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
Link to Bangkok post removed (forum rule)

13 hours ago, cnx101 said:

In this day and age passports should be done away with, should just be able to walk through a scanner that gives all your information automatically from eyes face fingers, and all arrival and exit details sent too you automatically, but maybe I’m thinking 500 years ahead.

For that to work we would need a global database shared by all governments and airlines - you yo really think (say the French) would ever agree to that ??

Can you imagine the never ending noise from the great unwashed living in the democracies (if there are any left my then) and the dictatorships ever agreeing to share information ??

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

I live out in the sticks in rural Kamphaeng Phet and it is a 70km each way trip for me. I just fit it in with a monthly bulk shop.

So when I go to fill in the TM30 for myself online in my own condo will it allow me NOT to enter a TM6 number? For those on 90 day reports how will that work? Revenue (fines) generation? Please tell...

22 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Maybe the suspension will be part of an update in the online 90-day report too. As I entered Thailand many years ago (pre-2016) and have never left the country, my TM6 code is not in the 90-day database for online reporting. As such I get rejected from online reporting. So I use Thailand Post EMS. Dependable (but still fail sometimes to get by return mail my receipt with next report date) but involves local travel to Post.

The old 90 day reporting system was a pain, last year they didn't even have my extension recorded on there so I was showing as "On Overstay" for a year until I did my last extension. 

Have you tried the latest 90 day reporting site (https://tm47.immigration.go.th/tm47/#/login), this doesn't ask you for your TM6# or details of your flight (other than what date you arrived). 

I did mine yesterday following a return from the UK in March & it was approved in <40 minutes. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

On 6/14/2022 at 11:33 AM, Crossy said:

A welcome development, maybe they will make it permanent for foreigners as well as Thais.

To be honest I'm not really sure just how much delay stamping the TM6 and filing the Arrival half really adds.

Of course, when one goes for an extension and doesn't have a TM6 ...

On arrival in Thailand a person is photographed, fingerprinted, has their passport stamped with their arrival date. Visa applicability dates. Why is there a need for the TM6? Do the Thai  authorities have a fetish regarding paperwork and form filling?

Surely a valid passport with a valid visa should be sufficient!

O! Sorry I forgot that many an IMO would have a problem with their lifestyle cost!

When, during a person's encounter with an IMO does one receive a smile? after all they are the Entry Guards to the LAND OF SMILES????????

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

I still have my arrival card dated 26 May 2009 when I finally arrived back home on retirement. It has been scanned and a copy goes to mt extension every year,

Yes mine is a few years old now too, and decidedly tatty. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Hi Joe, your absolutely correct, i.e. nothing on the posted page about it being only for tourists, however I did read the other day that it said tourists, that said I just spent 15 minutes trying to find the article, here is an extract, copy and pasted and the article I read.

I have read many articles that use the general term tourist for everybody that enters the country.

I cannot see how they could separate out all those entering the country between those that are entering on tourist visas, VOA and visa exempt from those that are entering on non immigrant visas and etc. The airlines would not want to do it.

• Thanks 1