Does the 2.8 Fortuner have a DPF ?

Tuvoc

Our Fortuner is the 2019 TRD Sport.  It generally gets driven very gently, but the other day I accelerated hard and while taking a quick look in the mirror to see the gap to the car behind, noticed a fair bit of black smoke. This is normal for a diesel of course without a dpf, and maybe it was just "blowing the cobwebs out" as the saying goes after a lot of gentle driving, but with a dpf you would not or should not be seeing this. Makes me think it does not have one ?

18 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Makes me think it does not have one ?

Yes it will have a DPF filter and you have answered the question yourself, a diesel needs what I call a turbo clean and the smoke will be a sign of the DPF cleaning itself after soot build up. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes it will have a DPF filter and you have answered the question yourself, a diesel needs what I call a turbo clean and the smoke will be a sign of the DPF cleaning itself after soot build up. 

Thanks for the clarification. This is the first diesel car we have had, so I don't know a lot about them.

• Like 1

Your car has the 1GD-FTV engine which is made in various versions according to the regulations of the market in which it will be sold.

AFAIK a 2019 Thai-market vehicle would be to Euro IV standard and therefore require only EGR and a catalyst after the turbo. So NO DPF.

Models made for export for Australian market, for example, are Euro V and so DO have a DPF.  Euro VI versions of this engine (UK etc) have DPF plus SCR with a urea tank.

Models fitted with a DPF and made after August 2018 have a manual 'DPF Regeneration' switch located on the dash to the left/right of the steering wheel (left/right hand drive).

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

AFAIK a 2019 Thai-market vehicle would be to Euro IV standard and therefore require only EGR and a catalyst after the turbo. So NO DPF.

Ah, very interesting.  Makes sense. No DPF to clog up or replace eventually at great cost. A not so clean engine for sure then, but in a predominantly rural setting that isn't harmful to the same extent as it would be in busy city streets.

My Fortuner is 3 months old. It is expensive, top of the line, pretty, and many other things.

It is also still a pickup embellished with lipstick, based on tractor technology from decades ago. However much I'd like it to be a refined, modern, state of the art automobile of the future, it's still a coal burner. Toyota are just in the fortunate place of owning the market.

I'm still happy I bought it (because most of the competition is no better), but stop kidding yourself that your bought something other than you did.

5 hours ago, Woof999 said:

My Fortuner is 3 months old. It is expensive, top of the line, pretty, and many other things.

It is also still a pickup embellished with lipstick, based on tractor technology from decades ago. However much I'd like it to be a refined, modern, state of the art automobile of the future, it's still a coal burner. Toyota are just in the fortunate place of owning the market.

I'm still happy I bought it (because most of the competition is no better), but stop kidding yourself that your bought something other than you did.

helpful post, with the op's question in mind, does it have a dpf or not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Woof999 said:

No relevance to the question on the DPF. However your 3 month old model may well have a DPF (slightly updated engine).

However I think the Fortuner is an incredible car, and everything you say that is a weakness I see as a great strength. Built on a pickup chassis - fantastic, it is built to last, tough as nails, and virtually indestructible. Perfect. It can take a hammering on awful Thai roads for years to come. You can't say the same for many of the so-called modern, state of the art cars. They'd have fallen apart over the 145,000 km that ours has done so far, with only a set of tyres recently on top of normal servicing. It still feels and drives as new. 

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wish I could buy the same vehicle I have in the US here, much nicer than a Fortuner and it is the big brother the 4Runner.Screenshot_20220616-064509_Messenger.jpg.5c6473f00844f54eb2610235356f0407.jpg

I agree, the 4Runner is vastly superior to the Fortuner.  Toyota are laughing all the way to the bank with the Fortuner, a relatively cheap to produce car sold at a premium price. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

No relevance to the question on the DPF. However your 3 month old model may well have a DPF (slightly updated engine).

However I think the Fortuner is an incredible car, and everything you say that is a weakness I see as a great strength. Built on a pickup chassis - fantastic, it is built to last, tough as nails, and virtually indestructible. Perfect. It can take a hammering on awful Thai roads for years to come. You can't say the same for many of the so-called modern, state of the art cars. They'd have fallen apart over the 145,000 km that ours has done so far, with only a set of tyres recently on top of normal servicing. It still feels and drives as new. 

Your Fortuner is still a baby. 145k km is not a lot for most modern vehicles. When I sold my old Camry back in February it has almost 400k km.  Original engine and transmission with no major repairs.  Only had new brakes, radiator, engine mounts and general service items.

A friend in Saraburi has a seven year old Honda Freed with 500k km.  Again, original engine and transmission.

14 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Toyota are laughing all the way to the bank with the Fortuner, a relatively cheap to produce car sold at a premium price. 

That is certainly true, it is priced pretty high. I get the feeling that is the same with Toyota in Thailand generally for most models compared to say Honda, Mazda etc ?

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Having Googled DPF I now know what you are waffling about, try not to use initials without at least explaining what they mean in your 1st post, most annoying.

people that knows the acronym is probably better suited to answer the question constructively, 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 8:48 AM, Tuvoc said:

Well they say a truck chassis and don't see a problem with that because it is not the same rear

3 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

That is certainly true, it is priced pretty high. I get the feeling that is the same with Toyota in Thailand generally for most models compared to say Honda, Mazda etc ?

suspension set up as on most pick up trucks. 

I think Nissan truck have different rear suspension now not sure whether they have it in Thailand. 

The recycling exhaust system you have is the same as my Isuzu I  thought the new Fortuna would have a DPF but anyhow it doesn't hurt to give the diesel engine a good rev up now and again to blast some soot build up out. ????

3 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

MG is quite impressive.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I  thought the new Fortuna would have a DPF but anyhow it doesn't hurt to give the diesel engine a good rev up now and again to blast some soot build up out. ????

Yeah, I'm amazed at these diesel engines that spend most of their life barely above idle and below 2,000 rpm.  It was a huge change from the revvy silky smooth straight-six normally aspirated BMWs I've been driving for the last 20 years. But I like the diesel - the instant low down torque and economy, and surprisingly it is smooth and near-silent at a steady 80-100 km/hr.  Obviously acceleration and idle are a different story, but overall the engine suits the car perfectly.

• Like 1

I think 4-runner used to be on the Tacoma platform, but is now on the Hilux platform, or the same platform as the Fortuner.

I believe the next generation Fortuner ('23 or '24) will be on the TNGA-F platform, which will be the same as the  LandCruiser 300, Lexus LX, Toyota Sequoia and Toyota Tundra. 

On 6/16/2022 at 8:48 AM, Tuvoc said:

I am driving a 2006 Toyota Vios with 175,000 on the odometer. My Thai mechanic says it will get to 300K.

I sometimes think Toyota regrets making the Vios, not enough obsolescence for the bean counters

I don't know why you think Thai roads are awful, I've seen roads a lot worse in Australia.

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think 4-runner used to be on the Tacoma platform, but is now on the Hilux platform, or the same platform as the Fortuner.

I believe the next generation Fortuner ('23 or '24) will be on the TNGA-F platform, which will be the same as the  LandCruiser 300, Lexus LX, Toyota Sequoia and Toyota Tundra. 

The original 4Runner was built on the Hilux chassis and was known as the Hilux Surf in some markets.  However since MY 2010 the 4Runner has been based on the Land Cruiser Prado chassis. You really do get a lot more for your money with the 4Runner as compared with a Fortuner. The current Fortuner is desperately outclassed by even Toyota's own products in other markets and this is no doubt behind their decision to bring in a completely new '23-on Fortuner on the GA-F platform - so basically it'll be a Land Cruiser/Tundra under the skin. It should be a hugely superior product to the current Fortuner.

• Like 1