Can you open a bank account as a tourist?

12 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Bangkok Bank easily opens accounts for tourists, at least in tourist locations. They will just ask you to buy accident insurance from them for around 6k baht.

I was in the Bangkok bank Jomtien, back in January this year.

Russian tourist was refused opening an account, they wanted a house/condo rental agreement for proof of address.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

lol first time you not suggest thaivisa

youa re aware that siam legal is a law company right? not an agency

I recommend agents that have tract record for particular job.

In Bangkok Siam Legal has assisted many in opening bank account. Approx 4k . Money well spent. 

All the agents in Pattaya do it also for folk that live there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's where I opened my account. Just walked in no hassle. However that was long ago. Just have to go and see now.

No offense but things have changed dramatically with the new money laundering laws.

I also opened my first ever Thai bank account many years ago on a tourist visa in Bangkok.

Not possible now. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I recommend agents that have tract record for particular job.

In Bangkok Siam Legal has assisted many in opening bank account. Approx 4k . Money well spent. 

All the agents in Pattaya do it also for folk that live there. 

Btw, when using an agent, you may still need to buy insurance for 6k on top of that 4k agent fee.

Just now, JoseThailand said:

Btw, when using an agent, you may still need to buy insurance for 6k on top of that 4k agent fee.

No. 

Most agents use Bangkok Bank. 

The cost will be 4-4.5k max.

No insurance 

Edited by DrJack54

• 4 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 9:05 PM, buick said:

were you changing over to a NON O retirement and got them excited with the prospect of an 800,000thb deposit ?  a plan to transfer funds to buy a condo ? or did they just open it w/o any 'enticements' ?  in the last 4 yrs or so, there have been alot of questions on here about how to get an account open (visa exempt or tourist visa).  usually after the OP's have tried several banks w/o success.  maybe you were one of the lucky ones.

i kind of like the buy the insurance option.  you never know, maybe you'll have an accident and cash in on the insurance.  at least you've got a little something for your 3,000-4000thb.  but if you use an agent, you make a contact.  agents can be helpful in the future.

It was for a non-O extension for marriage, and thus only a 400K deposit. Not sure if that was enough to induce excitement ???? 

• 7 months later...
13 hours ago, JayLeno said:

I am in BKK but I am planning to go Phuket. Is it easier there.

I don't think it is easier in Phuket. It could be just as difficult, if not more difficult, than Bangkok.

Back in 2016 I opened a bank account with Bangkok Bank (in Phuket town) when on a Visa Exempt status. Prior to that I had visited Krungsri Bank, SCB Bank, and UOB bank, and they all refused to let me open an account when Visa exempt.  Bangkok bank only let me (then) because I convinced them I was about to buy a condo, and possibly also because I had my Thai wife with me (who had an account).  

Possibly if I had tried a bank (then) in Patong Beach, Phuket (which was more touristy than Phuket town, in year 2016) I would have found it easier - as banks there are more used to tourists. ... and possibly not.  In the end I succeeded in Bangkok Bank in Phuket Town (and since then, once on a Type-OA visa, I successfully also opened an account with Krungsri).

Having typed that, starting a few years ago (BEFORE COVID) I started seeing big signs in the Bangkok Branch office, stating (words to this effect, albeit a bit different) no new account opening on Visa-Exempt/tourist visas. Only new accounts with Long stay visas.  

The banks can be difficult sometimes for opening accounts.  When the 10-year LTR visa first came out, we heard a few stories that the LTR visa was unknown to a couple Phuket Banks (SCB, UOB, and Krungsri come to mind) and some initial LTR visa holders were initially denied a new account.  (We heard this from a friend who is a manager at one of those banks).  But in the end that was sorted and the LTR visa was accepted for opening new accounts.  I know - that sounds incredible - a 10 year visa and there was difficult opening a new account - but the bank branch managers had never heard of such a visa initially, and they did not want to go against their bank's policy for foreigners opening bank accounts.

So possibly an agent is needed to help on Visa exempt, or on a Tourist Visa, to open a bank account.   I don't know of any agents in Phuket, and it may be easier to find an agent in Bangkok.

12 hours ago, JayLeno said:

So how much does an agency charge for opening a bank account 

I opened accounts for me and my family in early 2023, absolutely no bank would do it normally, I tried at least 10 walking in and asking at different chains, they all refused, so used an agent that cost 5000 baht per account.  They let you open an account at Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit in Bangkok.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In 2016 I opened an account at the Bangkok Bank whilst on a tourist visa.

Only the passport was required. But, I was 'recommended' by a Thai person working for the government.

No insurance policies were offered either.

But today, I think the laws have changed and it is not that easy.

If you have a Thai friend, it might be helpful to have him/her accompany you to the bank.

Edited by ravip

41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which one?  There are many branches on Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok.

You may have missed it the guy you quoted used an agent....

"

1 hour ago, TheLaughingMan said:

they all refused, so used an agent that cost 5000 baht per account. 

I think now even the agents have opted out.

Siam Legal added to their web page that bank account currently not available

Here is snippet from web page.

"Opening a Bank Account in Bangkok

(Service not available at this time)

Our service fee is 5,000.00 THB + 7% VAT for opening a Thai savings account in Bangkok. Additional fee such as insurance fee may be required by the bank"

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You may have missed it the guy you quoted used an agent....

"

I think now even the agents have opted out.

Siam Legal added to their web page that bank account currently not available

Here is snippet from web page.

"Opening a Bank Account in Bangkok

(Service not available at this time)

Our service fee is 5,000.00 THB + 7% VAT for opening a Thai savings account in Bangkok. Additional fee such as insurance fee may be required by the bank"

Oh, thats bad news then, lucky I got in under the wire.

7 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

I opened accounts for me and my family in early 2023, absolutely no bank would do it normally, I tried at least 10 walking in and asking at different chains, they all refused, so used an agent that cost 5000 baht per account.  They let you open an account at Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit in Bangkok.

Could you please provide the address of the bank?

5 minutes ago, JayLeno said:

The guy you quoted used an agent.

That is how he opened a bank account. 

Most agents will use Bangkok Bank.

That is good option as Bangkok Bank is one of the 3 banks that accept large transfers using WISE. 

2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Personally, I think anyone using an agent to open a bank account and then depositing a large sum of money there is just plain crazy.  

The agent is certainly using some illegal means to open the account, and it is just a matter of time until upper management at the bank figures this out and locks you out of your account.

:D the agent simply prints out a referal letter from their lawyers firm that the bank management has obviously agreed to honor.  You do understand youre in Thailand right?  Corruption is the way most things are done and cash has always smoothed the way to get what you want.  I had a nice chuckle at your outrage over "illegal" lol

Edited by TheLaughingMan

Can 

3 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

:D the agent simply prints out a referal letter from their lawyers firm that the bank management has obviously agreed to honor.  You do understand youre in Thailand right?  Corruption is the way most things are done and cash has always smoothed the way to get what you want.  I had a nice chuckle at your outrage over "illegal" lol

Can i use agent to buy land?

6 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

I'm still chuckling 😂

On 12/30/2023 at 7:24 PM, JayLeno said:

Bangkok Bank (Head Office)

333 Silom Road, Silom, Bang Rak, Bangkok.

Most banks now require a confirmation of your address in Thailand, as well as a referral from an existing customer, member of staff, or government official.