Anyone use Uk Government Gateway access code? SMS to login, working?

Been trying all day today to login to UK Government Gateway tax account , but also not working for other services e.g. pension forecast, NI contributions, file a return etc.

I've used it for years, I can sign in but the 6 digit access code that is normally sent to your registered phone by SMS message does not arrive (Yes my Thai number/phone is the one registered, it confirms last few digits before sending).

I've called and contacted them about it but no real help, they did say that they have changed the communications partner. They said my provider (True) may be blocking the number but they can't tell me what number its sent from now (its 60551 on a UK phone) The last time I used it was Feb I still have the old message in my phone. 

If anyone else here is registered for this can you try and log in for me. see if you get the access code? Thanks.

Just tried my gateway tax account and again no problem in receiving the 6 digit code number. Maybe it’s your mobile provider which is blocking the code ?  Certainly with AIS, no problem 

• Thanks 1

Thanks just tried again today, still not working with True.

Can you tell me what number the message came from, without that I can't really report it to True - even having the number not sure who I can report it to to get them to understand

I recently tried to use the Government Gateway to advise change of address ( for pension purposes which one can do ) but found it had been cancelled .    No reason given - perhaps if one does not use it for a period of time or after a certain period of absence from UK your access  gets cancelled ??    Back to snail mail system now ! 

• Thanks 1

I've had this problem for over a week - phone service is AIS.

I enter Gateway ID and password, get a message saying OTP has been sent - the partial phone number is correct - but it never arrives.

On my phone, origin of OTP messages was a Thai phone number "+66 89 304 0043".

I phoned HMRC who said they'd had many similar complaints but everything was correct at their end.

E-mailed AIS who were very good in their response. They said SMS messages had arrived from senders "BIG3G" and "SSB_PROD" at  about the times I requested OTP. Those senders seem to bear no relation to Government Gateway or HMRC. Ultimately, though, AIS couldn't solve the problem.

Late yesterday, I tried to get OTP again - same problem.

Just before writing this, I tried yet again, expecting the same problem again.

BUT THE OTP ARRIVED INSTANTLY!! This time the origin of the OTP was "NXSMS" rather than the Thai number.

Looks like it was an HMRC problem all along.

I  suspect the OTP system was undergoing a change but the call centre operators weren't aware of it. I wonder how much stick they got from callers because the OTP department didn't keep them informed.

Edited by MartinL
  • Thanks 1

There has been changes to the Government system, as i used post office app to verify my ID so i could access the Gov website. But now i have to sign in direct to the Gov website, as post office no longer offer this service.

so this would have needed some changes to their system.

• Thanks 1

I have put my True sim into another phone and tried again, I didn't think it would work but the code came in a few seconds!

Its an android phone, there is no spam filter or anything on it that I know of, have had the messages before no problem, the memory is not full.

Don't know if it was fluke and will now work in my usual phone, will try after I have done what I need to online.

Thanks for all the help

I have a suggestion to make:

On several occasions I have sought to have messages sent to my phone when changing passwords etc, including my Bank for which I have an online Account,

Messages were stated by the Sender to have been received by me but I couldn't find them. I discovered sometime later, that I HAD received them but in a messaging app already installed when I bought the phone ("hidden" in a folder on the Menu screen). Even my online bank with it's own messaging system didn't receive my messages but instead went to an existing app I rarely looked at!

So, try looking at another possible messaging app on your phone or tablet to check.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, digital said:

I have put my True sim into another phone and tried again, I didn't think it would work but the code came in a few seconds!

I also tried changing SIM to my wife's phone. My phone is Apple, my wife's phone is Samsung.

Still didn't receive OTP.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MartinL said:

I also tried changing SIM to my wife's phone. My phone is Apple, my wife's phone is Samsung.

Still didn't receive OTP.

I will put the sim back in the original phone after I am done, and see if it now works. Maybe it has been fixed?

I know this is of no use to the OP at the moment, but I use the HMRC app to provide access codes rather than get them sent by SMS, thereby eliminating this issue. Once you can get logged in via the gateway, it may be worth changing the way you receive the access code. Just a thought...

Fortunately, my DTAC sim can receive the access code via SMS, which I use as a backup.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

Just now, Mutt Daeng said:

... I use the HMRC app to provide access codes rather than get them sent by SMS ...

I used the app. for a while and liked it but they updated it to only use iOS 13 and above. I'm not that modern so it was back to SMSs.

• Like 1

I had the same problem earlier this week, after years of trouble-free logging in I wasted two days attempting to receive the access code. In the end, I clicked the button to contact them and it gave me the option to change the method of receiving the code. One of the choices was the google authenticator app which I chose, and on using, got straight into the site.
The Google 2-factor app is a good tool to have on your phone if you haven't already got it, lots of sites are asking for it these days, especially if you invest in shares, crypto etc. It only takes a couple of minutes to download from the Play Store and is very simple to use.

By the way, my phone provider is AIS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

I had the same problem earlier this week, after years of trouble-free logging in I wasted two days attempting to receive the access code. In the end, I clicked the button to contact them and it gave me the option to change the method of receiving the code. One of the choices was the google authenticator app which I chose, and on using, got straight into the site.
The Google 2-factor app is a good tool to have on your phone if you haven't already got it, lots of sites are asking for it these days, especially if you invest in shares, crypto etc. It only takes a couple of minutes to download from the Play Store and is very simple to use.

By the way, my phone provider is AIS.

Thanks for that info @jesimps. I didn't realise you could use different authenticator apps to access the GG.

For on line tax returns from outside the UK you need to use an accounts package listed on the Gov Tax website. I use abcsa.co.uk accessed  via my pc working of a True H router. It's great because you can upload all the data from your last return saving a lot of time

Edited by chilly07

On 6/17/2022 at 9:22 AM, digital said:

Don't know if it was fluke and will now work in my usual phone, will try after I have done what I need to online.

Not been able to check if it still works again because I checked the remember me for 7 days box so it doesn't ask for the access code, will try it again after the 7 days.