Opinion: Stop spreading misinformation about marijuana, educate the public

webfact

Although I have never used Cannabis etc I am a tea drinker, usually 3-4 mugs a day (but in situations similar to the song 'right said Fred', maybe more????). Black tea contains four stimulants Caffeine being the main one with smaller amounts of Theophylline, Theobromine and L-Theanine. The reason for mentioning this is that early in last decade because Cannabis use was on the increase some researches decided to compare this to tea/coffee plus marijuana mix. Original research started with Monkey trials (I think) and later with Rats. (for those here technically interested the research comes under neuro-science. For general reading 'Healthline' and similar pages ran articles later last decade, mixing Caffeine and Marijuana.) As far as I know there are no hard results yet except to say that in low concentrations the two seem enhance each other but in higher concentrations (presumably under medical directed quantities) problems could arise. Would be interesting to hear from someone who consumes such a mixture...anyone?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Actually, there are autopsy proven cases where at least two people have died of cardiac arrest from smoking pot.  As with any drug, there are risks to one's health.  

Believe you when I see the autopsies.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Well done Eric Parpart.

Well written and straight to the point.

Has last sentence sums it up.

My recommendation for related agencies is to stop, take a breather, research, talk to each other and then educate the public with accurate information. 

This decriminalization/law has been known well in advance.

How come the so called experts did not carry out any research in advance and have it published in science journals, rather than jumping to conclusions and having them published in tabloids?

In fact, why not look at other research carried out by international renowned scientists, who have had their credible research proven and published to share with other experts.

My recommendation for related agencies is to stop, take a big toke and chill out.

• Haha 2

I am few months shy of 50 and have been around weed smokers all my life. Young and old. I never saw or heard of an overdose related to smoking weed.  I heard of weed laced with other drugs causing deaths, but not straight up weed.  These days people experiment with different chemicals to try and enhance the high.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sounds like the same argument people make about Covid deaths.

In this case, if he would not have been on weed which causes increased heart rate, he would probably still be alive.

Written by Natalie Saunders, B.A., LicAc:

marijuana is not completely free of adverse effects. It can cause dry mouth and eyes, drowsiness, dizziness, and increased anxiety and paranoia in susceptible people. Cannabis can also cause your heart to race, a distressing side effect if it catches you by surprise. Furthermore, some people even claim that weed can increase your risk of heart attacks.

A trained acupuncturist quoting the beliefs of "some people". I love internet "facts" but seldom quote them. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, connda said:

Now we'll be deluged with posts about the potential negative effects of marijuana by every member who has never tried it or have only tried in once with mix results.  For those who are simply doing a copy and paste from an anti-cannabis Internet resource, please be kind enough to attribute your information.  Those of us who have been around this culture for fifty or sixty years actually understand the effects.  So when I hear that there has been a "marijuana overdose leading to death" the first thought I had was "there's a first" and my second thought was, "I wonder when they'll release a Thai version of Reefer Madness."
Good to see they actually performed an autopsy.
Then we start hearing that Thais are being admitted to hospitals for ingesting leaves that have no psychotropic active substance.  At best you'll get a little fibre in your diet.
Can someone be allergic?  I imagine so, but without taking a test by a doctor who specializes in allergies, claiming you're "allergic to cannabis leaves" after eating a cannabis leaf in some soup is unproven supposition.  Maybe the soup had not been stored well and they had a reaction to bacteria? 

I'm sure there will be plenty of misinformation and hyperbole over the next few months to keep the us all entertained.

I agree with most of what you say except for your info about leaves. I have been baking for years with just leaves and I guarantee that they can get you extremely high. All you really need to do is look at a healthy flowering plant in the sun and you can see the trichome laced leaves all over it. Drop by and I'll give you a cookie or two.

• Like 1

Marijuana is a drug and like all drugs, it has side effects.  A lot of Asians have an adverse reaction to alcohol that causes them to get very flushed and a few other symptoms.  I worked with a guy who can't use anything with caffeine in it.  He once drank something that had a small amount of caffeine and his reaction was rather intense, his heart was racing, his breathing was affected and he was shaking.  He knew it would pass which it did.  

Unless someone has some experience with it, it's best to introduce it at a low level.   

As far as it causing death, I don't know of any drug that can't cause death, but given the long history of cannabis, I suspect it's pretty safe on that metric.  Unless there is a level that's been determined to be deadly, it's quite irresponsible to say someone died from it.  People die from drinking too much but it is rare that someone actually dies of alcohol poisoning.  There are, however, levels of alcohol in the bloodstream that are known to be deadly.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Well done Eric Parpart.

My recommendation for related agencies is to stop, take a breather, research, talk to each other and then educate the public with accurate information. 

How come the so called experts did not carry out any research in advance and have it published in science journals, rather than jumping to conclusions and having them published in tabloids?

In fact, why not look at other research carried out by international renowned scientists, who have had their credible research proven and published to share with other experts.

Forget the Weed, remove the silly masks and open the country up, what a load of nonsense, weeds been around for years, but there is enough problems with drinking and driving, now you want stoned and paranoid drivers as well. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Forget the Weed, remove the silly masks and open the country up, what a load of nonsense, weeds been around for years, but there is enough problems with drinking and driving, now you want stoned and paranoid drivers as well. 

Waiting for peyote to be legal now, oh, wait, it is legal, 

10 hours ago, mikebike said:

If you have worked in the medical profession you should know better than to post, "I saw this or that"... is that how you learned your trade or profession? By listening to your professors tell stories? Or did you learn from peer-reviewed research?

It is a well known fact that cannabis consume can cause psychosis in people who have a history of mental disease running in their family. This is precisely why the UK have recategorized cannabis from a class 5 to a class 2 drug about 10 or 12 years ago. I'm not sure, though, if it is still class 5 because obviously a lot has happend in terms of legalization since then globally and I haven't followed up on the situation in the UK. I have this information from an article in the Bangkok Post. Don't nail me on th exact year, though. 

Having said that, the percentage of people who actually got a psychosis in comparison to the number of pot smokers was something like 0.000000001%. Nonetheless it happened to the brother of a friend of mine. He started to hear voices a few weeks after he took up up spliffing. It went away a few days after he stopped smoking hash and he's been fine ever since. 

21 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Well done Eric Parpart.

FIFY.... take a breather, have a joint... research, talk to each other and have another joint...

Edited by wombat

14 hours ago, Denim said:

Ignore all these false newspaper articles.

Listen instead to the ever infallible weed skeptics on this forum. Read what they write, inhale deeply, absorb it , and exhale , then rest assured the exact opposite of anything they write will land you in the correct ball park of sound advice.

Steven has gone quiet. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

confusing, is that an advert disguised as a chinese herb but actually selling weed?

It's definitely for weed, it even shows the THC levels.

There are 4 different strains available, the one I have coming is for Afghan Kush.

Whether it's any good, I will find out tonight.

It needs to be at a level where I can magically fully understand Donovan (the man & his songs) to get a pass rating.

5fa8aeee650757983a37a2b8339ac91b.jpg

7279ddc05d1752acc8a07c4cb0ad7fea.jpg

e998d9ad1d017161b21cc35b397a2848.jpg

3b346e2f474a14033eb3abee4da49daf.jpg

Edited by Bert got kinky

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Probably died from passive smoking of somebody else's joint.

Sometimes life can be cruel

Probably died from passive smoking of somebody else's joint.

Can someone actually die from passi........................... oh wait, I see what you did there ????:cheesy: