Thai Covid-19 Situation Center agrees to restore nationwide green zones, cancel Thailand Pass, eases mask mandate, and more

webfact

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Still the stupid mask wearing... So outdoors no problem, but in a  shoppingmall ,crowded bar/restaurant, club, you have to wear it??? Why not let the people decide to wear it where and when . If they feel safer with a mask they can do but no obligation.. Probably only reason to keep the maskwearing for the protests to control....

What is everyones problem with a mask <deleted>? they arent that bad. I'm amazed someone didnt come up with edible ones. 

Anyways, I'm fully protected. So there !!

suit.jpg

Edited by Goldpanner
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Drop the ridiculous mask mandate and I'll be back for 4 months....until then not interested in Thailand visits

But I don't care if you come back for 4 months or not....????............????

• Confused 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

I have a suspicious mind, show me where it says the Thailand Pass is cancelled for foreigners as well.

Thailand Pass was cancelled for Thai's June 1, OP now states Thailand Pass is cancelled 1 July. 

But please feel free to get covid insurance and apply for a Thai Pass if that's what you think lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BusyB said:

And especially the long term effects which are only really emerging and being recognized now, and which are quite widespread as well.

It can affect all organs in many people, not just the obvious lungs and joints, and that is not immediately apparent in most cases.

Yep, my daughter in the UK has 'long Covid' which has hospitalised her a few times, plus requires constant monitoring.

• Sad 3

16 minutes ago, Goldpanner said:

What is everyones problem with a mask <deleted>? they arent that bad. I'm amazed someone didnt come up with edible ones. 

Anyways, I'm fully protected. So there !!

suit.jpg

Sometimes I forget I've got one on after leaving a train or supermarket ... (yes in heat as well ...)

46 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Does the change in the Thailand Pass apply to everyone now, or is it still a requirement for foreigners?

As of July 1st, it is supposed to be scrapped for everyone from what the OP states

On 6/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, KhunBENQ said:

A mate comes from Germany on June 25. Of course with Thai pass/insurance.

Have just sent him the good news (not for him) :biggrin:

I too fly in on June 25th....it's been booked for months. Why can't they just drop the Thai Pass now? Why does it have to wait until July 1st? What difference does it make? Bonkers.

On 6/17/2022 at 5:00 AM, spidermike007 said:

They already announced last month, that the mask mandate for outdoors would be lifted on June 15th. Then, they changed their minds. So, if this really happens, it will be HUGE. Life will be a bit more normal without having to wear face diapers everywhere we go.

I have already stopped wearing a mask outdoors. Enough. That is on a cowardly administration, that has deliberately chosen to NOT pay attention to, nor follow the science. I have chosen to be disobedient. They made the announcement, then they changed their small minds. That is not on me.

I totally understand your point, wearing a mask is a hassle most of the time. But you are making a mountain out of a molehill as we're coming out of a deadly pandemic and Thailand has chosen to be more conservative than many other countries regarding Covid. That's all, in fact when I look at the choices that the Thai government has taken since the beginning of the pandemic, my God, it has been ultra conservative. Tourism has been decimated, of course it could have been otherwise. 

On 6/17/2022 at 3:15 PM, simple1 said:

My wife here in Oz has been infected by Covid for the past two days. I can assure you she's having a nasty experience.

Unfortuneately too many people are still rather ignorant of the effects of Covid and consequences of infection.

There’s many people having a lousy experience wearing a mask unnecessarily for the past 2 years. Yes I’ve had Covid , last year in Nov, had 10 days total isolation, after 5 days of raging sore throat I was right as rain. Let’s not forget  thousands die of Influenza every winter but do we do anything to prevent this, not really just take a handkerchief in case we sneeze, no real thought for the spreading of the virus. 

6 minutes ago, GaWalker said:

There’s many people having a lousy experience wearing a mask unnecessarily for the past 2 years. Yes I’ve had Covid , last year in Nov, had 10 days total isolation, after 5 days of raging sore throat I was right as rain. Let’s not forget  thousands die of Influenza every winter but do we do anything to prevent this, not really just take a handkerchief in case we sneeze, no real thought for the spreading of the virus. 

C19 is way more contagious than flu and the symptoms can be worse, plus recovery more difficult than flu..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is so long overdue. The continuation of the pass system for this long, has contributed to further sabotage of the tourism industry. Now, that they have finally scrapped it, they might be able to attract up to 250,000 tourists a month for the next few years. Maybe. Everything has changed, and Thailand has been forgotten, and left behind. The unemployed know who to blame for that, and hopefully they will finally be ousted in the next election. One can only hope it happens in a humiliating manner. Cha Cha will only be a very, very bad memory, in the years to come. 

The democratic process is rigged to favor Cha Cha, sorry! 

35 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

From 1 July, 2022, foreign nationals are only required to show proof of either a certificate of vaccination or a negative RT-PCR or professional ATK test result within 72 hours of travel. Without such proof, arrivals will be given random, professional antigen tests upon arrival at airports...

Have I read that wrong? I'm simply following what the Thai government are putting out there in their official press releases. Now, you claim that we don't need to do any of those things, which tends to fly in the face of what they're advocating. Who to believe?

Discussing how hassle-free the whole Thai Pass procedure was at this point is rather moot, considering that the requirements will be lifted for all people arriving in Thailand from July 1. (Again, I'm happy about this).

My only concern is that by keeping hold of their state-of-emergency powers, these old measures can easily be reinstated at a moment's notice. I mean, it's not like they don't have past form on making sudden U-turns. All I'm saying is, I don't feel confident enough to book a pricey flight to a faraway destination that hasn't quite decided to live with Covid yet. Drop everything and keep it that way, and I'll be on a high-priced flight back to Thailand.

You are correct that unvaccinated travellers needed a negative test, I had forgotten about that.  However vaccinated travellers haven't needed one for a long time: neither pre-flight nor on arrival.

The only changes - other than when Omicron first ripped through the country - has been a slow and steady reduction in restrictions until, finally, there will be none at all.  There is no turning back now, the country needs to open.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:03 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

On the skytrain in Bangkok they announce every 2 minutes that, without a mask, you could be liable for a fine of 20,000 baht. Wonder, as a private enterprise, how long they will/can keep up that regulation.

They can keep it indefinitely. Customer and government pressure will persuade them to relax it, so you will be free to catch and pass on colds, flue and COVID-19 

Just got back from a week in Phuket.    Around 85% of people not wearing masks; the remaining ones being mainly Thai service staff in Hotels etc.   Majority of Tourists were Arabs and Indians; though not huge numbers and Thai Tourists out numbered them.   Seems the days of Taxi Mafia are over for now; just 150 Baht for a reasonable distance and Hotels half the price they were before Covid, excellent from a Tourists point of view.

Many Bars and Restaurants still closed and even Central Mall in Patong still closed.

Edited by trainman34014
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 3:00 PM, spidermike007 said:

They already announced last month, that the mask mandate for outdoors would be lifted on June 15th. Then, they changed their minds. So, if this really happens, it will be HUGE. Life will be a bit more normal without having to wear face diapers everywhere we go.

I have already stopped wearing a mask outdoors. Enough. That is on a cowardly administration, that has deliberately chosen to NOT pay attention to, nor follow the science. I have chosen to be disobedient. They made the announcement, then they changed their small minds. That is not on me.

The UK government was so proud that it dumped all restrictions, obsessed with a little piece of fabric. Last week alone infections rose by 43%. This nonsensical obsession with “my civil rights” is just pathetic.

5 hours ago, RabCNesbitt said:

I too fly in on June 25th....it's been booked for months. Why can't they just drop the Thai Pass now? Why does it have to wait until July 1st? What difference does it make? Bonkers.

You have been booked for months to fly on 25th, that's a week from now, and you don't already have a TP? If you do, what difference does it make to you whether they drop it now or later?

They have to wait a few days because while the CCSA took the decision, it's not applicable until it's published in the Royal Gazette.

FYI, you'll be glad to have TP. I flew in yesterday, and the line to check passengers was 10x longer for TP-exempt (Thai) than for those with TP (foreigners).

On 6/17/2022 at 10:06 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Always baby steps.... but there really aren’t that many steps left to take.

This could have happened back in April....   At least Thailand is moving in the right direction which sends out the message to tourists who were sitting on the fence that they can go ahead. 

Combined with 45 day Visa on entry (should really be 90) and temporarily no need for *TM6 at Immigration (reducing Immigration queues), things are looking better for tourists. 

Now Thailand only has to deal with its ‘insurance’ issues... i.e. insist all arrivals have insurance, or included an insurance in the price of the ticket, or just stop complaining about it and agree to treat emergency cases on Thailands national health system with the understanding that the additional medical costs incurred by tourists are a tiny **percentage (0.03%) of the income tourists bring to the country... 

*It seems immigration have shunted the TM6 responsibility to the airlines who submit in bulk (if I’m not mistaken), this seems like it could be the first ‘baby-step’ towards getting rid of those unnecessary pieces of paper. 

** In 2019 it was reported that there was THB700 Million in unpaid medical bills from tourists. 

In the same year it was reported that revenue from Tourism was US$62 Billion (THB 2.165 Trillion)

Which begs the question: Does Thailand really need to be getting upset about 0.03% cost of its tourism revenue to the medical industry ????

When you say 'insurance issues' surely this is meant be covered by the additional B300 tax for all international arrivals

11 hours ago, GaWalker said:

There has been far more deaths attributed to Covid 19, than from the flu during the current pandemic. Plus 'long Covid' which my daughter in the UK has suffered from for the past twelve months needing repeated hospitalisations..

14 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Are you in Thai government because that's what they must think as well ???? 

Perhaps they have other responsibilities than to bring back mask cry babies to the country. 

Their approach seems to have kept the number of deaths from Covid down to under 1/5th of say the UK. 

I still don't get it, what mask mandate?? The Health minister clearly stated that there was no Thai law stating that you had to wear a mask. It was I believe the governors of individual provinces stated it was a requiremnet but there never was a mandate!!!! 

1 hour ago, paul1804 said:

I still don't get it, what mask mandate?? The Health minister clearly stated that there was no Thai law stating that you had to wear a mask. It was I believe the governors of individual provinces stated it was a requiremnet but there never was a mandate!!!! 

A mandate is a mandate, it's not a law, but it was an order and one the CCSA put in place. Wear it if you want, up to you as the Thais say.

man·date
/ˈmanˌdāt/
See definition
  1. 1.
    an official order or commission to do something.

Just like that.....