Do you sleep with Air Con or fan?

jack71

Right now, the master bedroom aircon goes on at 19:00 in de-humidify mode and 26°C for an hour and then normal, low-speed cooling until midnight after which it turns off. If we wake up in the wee small hours and it seems muggy, we give it a quick blast to get things more comfortable. If not beforehand, I turn it off when I get up before 05:00.

It may get turned on a few hours earlier if it's really hot and humid or if I am going to bed early. This is in conjunction with a ceiling fan on low speed. However, Mrs NL will also turn on a floor-standing oscillating fan which in conjucntion with all the above, gets me reaching for a blanket.

In my small office, the aircon is started on 24°C default normal speed for an hour and then switched to Economy mode. It needs the extra couple of degrees with the computers, fridge and water cooler running in there. On sunny days, it gets down to a comfortable 26°C inside. I made the mistake of leaving it on overnight and it was a chilly 24°C when I opened up for business.

The other airconditioned bedroom is for the kids who have no concept of running with the automatic timer settings or turning it off when they decide to ignore them. Then they wake up in the morning swathed in blankets like frozen penguins and the unit set on 21°C. I mean how difficult is it to reach out, grab the remote from beside the pillow and turn it off?! When this happens, Mrs NL confiscates the remote!

13 hours ago, jack71 said:

What about you

Sleeping at night:-

Windows and doors closed.

Aircon - 24 most of the night.

If it gets cool, then overhead fan on and aircon off.

Both controlled from my bedside so no need to get up.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

25 minutes ago, scotsdude said:

AC at 21C all night... My electric bill last month was 5000 baht for a 2 bedroomed house... Definitely gone up in price... Used to be 4300-4500...

Yes, last month was the first month with the new office aircon. It's only a 9k BTU unit, but the household bill went up by about 800 baht as it's running at least 6 hours/day. Monthly 'hot season' electric tab went from 5,600 baht to 6,400 baht.

We now have 3 air-condtioned rooms with average 6 hours/day being cooled. However, we also have a Siemens washing machine that easily does two and sometimes three hot-water loads a day (big tribe). That's a water hog AND an electricity hog as it preheats the water. I am having a hard time convincing the users that most, single-wear items can be cold washed as Thai washing powders are formulated for cold water washing but this old-fashioned 'technology' is falling on deaf ears.

Working on two flat stones and the nearby river.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jack71 said:

What about you. 

If you live in a house and have both sisalation and insulation batts in your attic, you can have the aircon on at 26 degrees for 30 minutes, with the fan on speed number 2 from a distance, before bed and then turn the aircon off only, and the fan will keep you cool all night. Do not leave your windows open as this makes the aircon work harder and your wasting $'s on electricity.

The way I have described above will stop you being dry and save you $'s while enjoying a good night sleep, also always good to have a bottle of drinking water beside your bed for when you wake up to go to the bathroom, e.g. take a sip, might also look at changing toothpaste brand as I had one that I found out made my mouth dry, therefore I changed brands and use a herbal one.

13 hours ago, Myran said:

When it's hot, like now, we mostly run the AC throughout the night at 25 degrees, as well as having a fan on low at the foot of the bed. When it gets cooler, we usually just use the AC for an hour or two when we go to bed.

Running the AC while at the same time having windows open sounds like absolute madness.

First para. exactly the same as you.  Out of the shower into A/c room then around 2 am A/C off and fan on with a window open.

Second para. A couple of days ago I got back to the car and it was very hot inside so I opened the window on driving off and put the a/c on , lovely too.

Never grew up with AC so its taken some time to adapt and understand how to use it in ways that work for us.cold

It's always way too cold when Thai's are in control of the AC lol ???? Cinema's here are like refrigerators hahaha ????

Only experienced it daily later in life after sea-change and working in air conditioned buildings.

We have awesome ducted AC so no cold draughts at all in any rooms like those dang split systems wall mounted systems produce .... BRRRR.

Dry season, and when doing the horizontal mambo we have the AC on and throughout the night. Since I'm a 'sex machine' hahaha thats every night lol ????

Wet season we tend to use the ceiling fans for sleep and common areas but sometimes when super humid we pop the AC on usually for tv and entertaining and for sleeping at about 26-27 degrees. 

Around these temps allows for sleeping in PJ's if want to and with some medium weight cotton covers.

To combat the dry air; If you put a bowl of water in the room it will help with that. You can add a few hibisucs flowers to make it decorative/romantic for 'she of the indoors'.

I'm a believer in drinking filtered water throughout the day/evening so I always drink a glass before bed and immediately I wake in the morning - morning one for us with fresh lime juice to kick start the immune system will see you sharp and dehydrated in no time. I have a habit of carrying my gym bottle with me everywhere.

We all loose about 1 litre of body fluids during sleep by the way. But, in hotter climates this goes up of course.

Hydration is really vital to all sorts of functioning e,.g thinking, digestion, mood support, muscle efficiency, skin turgidity, immune system, nice breathe, teeth health.

If your mouth gets dry (anytime) you have gone beyond the point of needing to ingest fluids - should always work not to get to that stage! It's needs to be a normal ritual upon waking to drink fresh, clean, not too cold water. before you do anything.

If you drink alcohol you need to replenish with water after drinking, especially before sleeping!

If you drink say a beers or more a few litres over a hour or so will rehydrate you. If you get 'smashed' then drink a few big glasses at least (only reasonably effective way to ameliorate hangovers) in the period post-drinking and pre-sleep.

Hangovers by the way are predominantly caused because alcohol starves your brain of vital water, so the 'drying out' of your brain makes your head ache.

I use the air con at 22-24 C.

I turn it on to Dry (Dehumidifier) mode at the beginning and Early morning to save electricity.

It's the humidity that makes it so uncomfortable.

Despite being here for many years don't to think I'll ever acclimate fully to the oppressive high heat and humidity. 

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Air-con on for about 15 minutes and then the fan all night. If we wake up hot then on again for 15 minutes and off again, and repeat on very hot nights.

Air con all night is about 2000-3000 baht a month for us, fan about 50 baht. I'd rather use the money elsewhere ???? 

What really bugs me is my wife pulling on the duvet and saying she's too hot.

Queer cattle them women.

It's possible you have developed poor sleeping habits.

Try and sleep breathing through your nose rather than the mouth, ensure your head is elevated.

Do you suffer from Acid Reflux? If so elevate the head of the bed by 6-9 inches.

• Like 1

During the worst of the Covid situation, Mrs. Shrdlu was not willing to let the maintenance company come to clean our aircons. As a result, in March last year the bedroom unit started to pee down the wall after the drainpipe clogged. We switched it off and it stayed off for almost all of the remainder of the year. We got by without problems with just a floor fan at the foot of the bed. 

In normal circumstances, depending upon the time of year, we either use just the fan (November through February) or aircon at 26 degrees with fan at foot of bed from about 11 pm until 6 am. The children blast the aircon at 21 degrees in their rooms when they're home.

20 hours ago, jack71 said:

Do you sleep with A/C or windows open/ fan? 

I like the freshness of the a/c but after a while it can get cold and I often shut it down...

i like to think that the person who sleeps with me is also a fan...