Do you sleep with Air Con or fan?

jack71

I sleep with Air con 'Cool' option 26 degree's with 2 small windows open. Im constantly waking up dehydrated with a dry mouth around 2am/ 3am. This never used to happen and thus either an issue with the machine or I have health problem. Anyone else?

Do you sleep with A/C or windows open/ fan? 

During March and April I would close the windows and have A/C on all night. 

A few years ago I used to just have a strong fan all night and no A/C. But now Im used to having A/C all night. 

What about you. 

cheers

Jack

Edited by jack71
  • Haha 1

If using a fan (say in the cooler north) - elevate it to a window so it sucks in cooler air from outside....vs just circulating the ambient air very near you.....

The building will  be releasing heat pummeled into all day from evening onwards -  so in that instance it can help if not using a/c....real difference....(assuming no heavy humidity outside)

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 2

Air con all night. It's been on for about three hours now, set at 27C. fan auto. The air blows across the bed and I am measuring 25C on the bed. Sometimes feels a bit cold in the early hours.  

No AC. No fan. Window is adjusted depending on the time of year.

I'm in an urban heatzone, so around 8 years ago, when there was a heatwave, I turned on a fan... to low. 

I usually turn on AC to 27 degrees just before switching the light out. Not to cool down but because the human body naturally sleeps when it gets darker... and when it gets cooler. 

During those rare cold snaps, I wear a cheap Lazada Chinese Heatvest, and.... I pray it doesn't burn me alive before morning. 

13 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

Always with a fan. It took some getting used to, but the high cost of electricity helped me adjust to fans only.

I owe 15 k at the place I stay at. Gonna make a run. The situation is absolutely unacceptable. You cannot owe money just for making yourself able to survive. Really unacceptable stuff!

• Confused 5
  • Haha 2

AC on for an hour before i sleep and an hour after, in the night when i wake up i do an AC burst for 30 mins, floor fan on 1

Around 2am open front and back incl curtains, put ceiling fan on.

For dry mouth you could buy a humidifier, around 500 baht Lazada and effective, i used one last year

If you're waking up every night between 2:00 and 3:00 AM with a dry mouth and it's not related to the air-conditioning, it would be worth going to see a doctor and getting checked out for the following:

- Diabetes insipidus (which is not the "regular" diabetes melitus)

- Cortisol levels. If they spike during the night due to blood sugar or other issues, you can wake with a jolt, and it can be very hard to get back to sleep.

- Adrenal fatigue (can cause you to wake around that time and again, really struggle to get back to sleep)

- Liver function issues (your liver works hard when you're asleep and any problems can cause you to wake between 1:00 and 3:00 AM)

I had exactly the problem you describe of waking up at that hour and it took a year to get to the bottom of it. It was a combination of adrenal fatigue and gut issues.

Of course, it might just be an issue with the air-conditioning and the humidity in the room. I hope that's what it is as that is an easy fix.

• Like 2

Aircon and fan before lights out, then aircon off and only fan. When waking during the night will turn the air con on for 5 or 10 minutes, then off again with only fan. This is pretty much what I do in the daytime too, air con on and off as needed.

• Thanks 1

Air-con on for about 15 minutes and then the fan all night. If we wake up hot then on again for 15 minutes and off again, and repeat on very hot nights.

Air con all night is about 2000-3000 baht a month for us, fan about 50 baht. I'd rather use the money elsewhere ???? 

What really bugs me is my wife pulling on the duvet and saying she's too hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1