Climate change: As Po River dries up, Italy's food and energy supplies are at risk

onthedarkside

Just now, Sparktrader said:

I dont know. 0.1 degrees is not a bad thing.

You don't know, correct, that's why I listen tend to rely and get my information from people who study this and have some knowledge that exceeds those posting on a forum

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

That doesnt make sense. Droughts have always happened - fact.

The science being used to form governmental and global thinking fully supports the facts that mankind's behaviour and actions are going to lead to catastrophic climate change if we do not act and act quickly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

We all need to make changes.

I agree.   For my part I am going to follow the example set by high profile climate activists such as ex-royalty Harry and Meghan who regularly preach to us all about this.

It's not going to be easy making those 20 extra unnecessary flights per year but I will do my best.    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, James105 said:

I agree.   For my part I am going to follow the example set by high profile climate activists such as ex-royalty Harry and Meghan who regularly preach to us all about this.

It's not going to be easy making those 20 extra unnecessary flights per year but I will do my best.    

Do as you will but it doesn't change the science or the facts.

I also, and continue to predict it WILL get warmer, until, it starts cooling off, toward the next ice age.

Why, how hot, and how long to peak, like everyone else, haven't a clue, as it's only a guess, as the particulars, are ever changing.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I also, and continue to predict it WILL get warmer, until, it starts cooling off, toward the next ice age.

Why, how hot, and how long to peak, like everyone else, haven't a clue, as it's only a guess, as the particulars, are ever changing.

Like economists. They do models.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Satellite Antarctic temperature records show 0.02°C/decade cooling since 1979. The Southern Ocean around Antarctica has been getting sharply colder since 2006. Antarctic sea ice is increasing, reaching all-time highs. Surface temperatures at 13 stations show the Antarctic Peninsula has been sharply cooling since 2000.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128045886000070

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Satellite Antarctic temperature records show 0.02°C/decade cooling since 1979. The Southern Ocean around Antarctica has been getting sharply colder since 2006. Antarctic sea ice is increasing, reaching all-time highs. Surface temperatures at 13 stations show the Antarctic Peninsula has been sharply cooling since 2000.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128045886000070

Hence the concern about this

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jun/15/new-data-reveals-extraordinary-global-heating-in-the-arctic

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The issue that I was referring to is that the earth's climate has been changing throughout its 4.5Ga history, sometimes with far higher maxima and minima than seen recently. To put things into perspective, bear in mind that the last ice age only ended only about 12,000 years ago - an almost invisible division of the geological clock. 

From reading all these posts it seems that there is regular confusion made between the phenomena of climate change and temperature variation. Temperature is just one aspect of climate, with large variations evident throughout earth history. 

But these questions should be asked:

Can climate and climate change be affected by temperature variation? Yes. 

Can climate change and temperature variation be affected by CO2? Yes. 

o greenhouse gases affect global temperatures? Yes.

Is COthe most populous greenhouse gas in the atmosphere? No. That's water vapour.

Are CO2 levels the highest ever? No.

Would reforestation lower CO2 levels? Yes, a lot. 

Is carbon recycled naturally? Yes but very slowly - millions of years.

Are there any other factors that cause both climate change and temperature variation? Yes, such as as but not limited to changes in: solar absorption, reflectivity, earth orbit and rotation, solar activity, volcanic processes and over a very long timescale, even tectonic effects on the carbon cycle.

Back to topic: Have COlevels risen at the fastest rate in recent earth history (late Holocence)? Yes and the rapid rise in the last 200 years is indeed coincident with not only the Industrial Revolution and its resultant emissions but also large rises in the human (and other animal) populations, deforestation and construction.

The last question is critical to this topic and it as is evident that anthropogenic COemissions are responsible for at least part of today's climatic extremes (although I think the Carbon the sink factor is just as important), then they need to be reduced. That said, this world has never had to deal with so many of us making a mess of it. Mother earth will be OK but I'm not sure about us.  

Technology solves most problems

I agree with much of what you say.

In 2030 or 2030 science is better.