Climate change: As Po River dries up, Italy's food and energy supplies are at risk

onthedarkside

Screenshot_7.jpg.b07bff8fc7063c818f917c1d2079adb0.jpg

BORETTO, Italy (AP) — Water is so low in large stretches of Italy’s largest river that local residents are walking through the middle of the expanse of sand and shipwrecks are resurfacing.

Authorities fear that if it doesn’t rain soon, there’ll be a serious shortage of water for drinking and irrigation for farmers and local populations across the whole of northern Italy.

Northern Italy hasn’t seen rainfall for more than 110 days and this year’s snowfall is down by 70%. Aquifers, which hold groundwater, are depleted. Temperatures of 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) above season average are melting the tiny snowfields and glaciers that were left on the top of the surrounding Alps, leaving the Po basin without its summer water reservoirs.

(more)

https://apnews.com/article/climate-italy-and-environment-e0274e5f2b4dd6bb2854cc7a970f75f6

AP2.jpg.0cfa89012d0f05dfb9c6672f6abcea5f.jpg

• Sad 2

I have a holiday home in mid-Wales, near Machynlleth. When I am in the uk,

I go there on a regular basis.   It is nearly a!ways raining.  I wish the people that make the weather could apply some of this global warming to this part of the world !!  In fact, I think most people in the UK find it hard to believe in global warming as it is hardly ever warm !!  Only a few weeks ago, I played golf in Aberystwyth, gale force winds and freezing cold !  Global warming ???

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

And yet the climate change denying head in the sanders still refuse to accept the facts. 

When Lake Mead has dried up and LA has drunk Lake Powell dry I wonder what they will do out west USA?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The term is climate change and the recent changes in temperatures across the world, including in the U.K., are an example of its reality.  

My solution is to raise the price of oil until everyone moves to electric ......... no wait .........

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

And yet the climate change denying head in the sanders still refuse to accept the facts. 

So what caused it 2000 yrs ago ,when it happened then ,chariot racing? Its nature doing what it has done from the begining ,i know its bad and there billons more of us now,the future lools bleak.nothing humans can do to change nature.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

So what caused it 2000 yrs ago ,when it happened then ,chariot racing? Its nature doing what it has done from the begining ,i know its bad and there billons more of us now,the future lools bleak.nothing humans can do to change nature.

Clearly  you have mastered the complexity of the various causes of climate change. You should definitely share your insights with climatologists.

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

You are wrong in denying this is man made climate change. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As Bert can do nothing to change the climate one way or the other, why does his opinion upset you so much?

What makes you think I am upset by their opinion?

Just pointing out they are wrong...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/18/burning-planet-why-are-the-worlds-heatwaves-getting-more-intense

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Purdey said:

One error many people make is to look at the weather where they live and think, well, it is pretty cold here. Climate change is measured by taking the average surface temperature of the entire planet, not just one town. The measurements are compared with previous measurements going back to the 19th Century. 

Odd how climate change only affects places you've never seen. 

Wonder why that could be? 

Ps. How accurate do you think temperature measurements using a Mercury thermometer in the 1800s would have been? 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Odd how climate change only affects places you've never seen. 

Wonder why that could be? 

Ps. How accurate do you think measurements in the 1800s would have been? 

The question should probably be how hot can it get before its too late and a catastrophe is inevitable. 

Instrumental temperature record - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumental_temperature_record

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Ps. How accurate do you think temperature measurements using a Mercury thermometer in the 1800s would have been? 

No different than now.

spacer.png

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

The question should probably be how hot can it get before its too late and a catastrophe is inevitable. 

Instrumental temperature record - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumental_temperature_record

I can't say 1 degree in the past 200 years concerns me that much. In another one or two thousand years it might be warm enough for me to think about returning the the UK to live. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody could be this stupid. 

Why do you believe that a mercury in glass thermometer from 1800's is less accurate than, say, a cheap  thermistor based measurement from today? 

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Clearly  you have mastered the complexity of the various causes of climate change. You should definitely share your insights with climatologists.

I dont need to so many already disagree with man made climate change,in the 1800s you could hold fairs on the river Thames because it froze over then,what caused that? In the middle ages they gree grapes in the south of England because it was so hot, in the time of the dinasours some areas were 65 degrees fahrenhite,why? Its nature.

I do agree that rivers are now running dry,there are billions more people to feed and water,when i was born there were 3 billion on the planet,now 7.5 and by 2050 12 billion is estimated ,god knows how bad things will be then.

They all have to be fed and watered.

Britain look out the dinghys are coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Purdey said:

One error many people make is to look at the weather where they live and think, well, it is pretty cold here. Climate change is measured by taking the average surface temperature of the entire planet, not just one town. The measurements are compared with previous measurements going back to the 19th Century. 

The temperature average changes every decade. Has so for 4.5bn years.