Nearly 6 in 10 Americans say Trump should be charged for Jan. 6 riot--poll

onthedarkside

3 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

He hasn't, so he is innocent! Because he has not been proved guilty! LOL

I didn't make up "Innocent until proven guilty"

I didn't say he's guilty - I said it's difficult to consider him innocent when we've heard him committing the crime on tape and in his own words.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, bocaBob said:

Oh, right on. So, charges are pending, likely, expected?

Sorry for asking, I have not followed this story.

Yes, it's before the grand jury already.

(And as the well-known saying goes, “a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich, if that's what you wanted.")

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

"A bipartisan Senate report found that at least seven people had lost their lives in connection with the Jan. 6 attack."

Mod's note:

This is a more up-to-date, accurate accounting of the deaths that resulted from the Jan. 6 riot:

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/11/how-many-died-as-a-result-of-capitol-riot/

An original link to a not publicly available New York Times article has been removed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Washington Post reported on April 19 that District of Columbia Chief Medical Examiner Francisco J. Diaz found that Sicknick suffered two strokes nearly eight hours after being sprayed with a chemical irritant during the riot. Diaz told the Post that Sicknick died of natural causes, but “all that transpired played a role in his condition.”

Four other police officers committed suicide in the days and months after the riot.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/11/how-many-died-as-a-result-of-capitol-riot/

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

I have no issues with Trump going to prison IF it was shown by an 50/50 jury he did wrong - not by a totally DC left wing jury.

Jan 6 committee can't put anybody in jail, they are not jury, they do not vote if trump is guilty or not, they are there to investigate and give evident to the DOJ to do their job, doesn't matter 50/50 or not, it all run down to evident, they speak with people that they think was involved, mostly Trump goon, even Trump daughter has turn her back on him

• Like 2

Actually, a piece of paper can be used as a lethal weapon (ask any SAS), so not to minimize the use of the J6 flagpoles and other weapons and the resulting injuries to LEO that day.

The point being, if the capitol building is that susceptible to incursion by the muppet brigade how safe is America  here and abroad.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bocaBob said:

Actually, a piece of paper can be used as a lethal weapon (ask any SAS), so not to minimize the use of the J6 flagpoles and other weapons and the resulting injuries to LEO that day.

The point being, if the capitol building is that susceptible to incursion by the muppet brigade how safe is America  here and abroad.

This article may provide some clues. It's not surprising there have been calls to defund the police. I don't agree with them but some funds could be redirected into reforming police and FBI culture.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/policing-and-siege-united-states-capitol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Agree but I think sufficient security should have been in place, or at least very close nearby, early in the day.

See my post above re warnings.

I also agree, the crowd was out for blood and there are lessons to be learnt but that does not distract or excuse their actions or those who instigated it.

• Like 2

I think clearly there were failures on the part of local law enforcement and the military to adequately protect the Capitol and defend against the rioting Trump mob that day.... That's certainly clear by the outcome.

And while I'm sure various factors contributed to that, it's probably hard to overlook the likely contributing factor that it was the President of the U.S. -- the military's Commander in Chief -- who directed the mob to go to the Capitol and was publicly egging them on, and that probably made at least some LE and military folks hesitant, at least at first, to go against their CIC and do what needed to be done without explicit orders.

And then beyond that, there was, as the various media reports have documented, Trump's refusal that day as the rioters were storming the Capitol to call in more LE/military resources as Commander in Chief. So certainly some of the blame rests squarely on him.

Jun 9, 2022 at 9:32 pm ET

Cheney: Trump Never Called Military to Defend U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 – But Pence Did

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/jan-6-hearings-news-live/card/cheney-trump-never-called-military-to-defend-u-s-capitol-on-jan-6-but-pence-did-js5yUaivfa2Yz5QCZ77p

"Republican Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming said that it was former Vice President Mike Pence, not former President Donald Trump, who called for the military to defend the U.S. Capitol during the riot.

Mr. Trump “placed no call to any element of the U.S. government to instruct that the Capitol be defended,” Ms. Cheney said.

She said Mr. Trump did not call his Secretary of Defense on Jan. 6, or speak to his Attorney General or the Department of Homeland Security."

AND

Fact check: Trump repeats false claim that Pelosi rejected request for National Guard ahead of Jan. 6

"Trump’s claim is one of many efforts by Republicans and supporters of the former president to shift blame and downplay the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol that resulted in four deaths and led to more than 600 arrests

There is no evidence Trump made any formal request about deploying 10,000 National Guard troops before the rally.

Claims that Pelosi was in charge of Capitol security on Jan. 6 have been previously debunked by USA TODAY.  The Capitol Police are overseen by the Capitol Police Board and committees from the Senate and House of Representatives."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/12/16/fact-check-no-trump-request-10000-guard-troops-jan-6/8929215002/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Very apropos....

When you do a Google search to check the common definition of "sedition" and the results include the Wikipedia entry on the subject, look what now comes up....

Screenshot_1.jpg.abc24dda9706a3aaa69b90dac09e4d39.jpg

History will no doubt regard him and them as such...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 2