Superhighway Underpass Open

ihop

Was riding out to dinner last night heading north on the superhwy and all of a sudden I realize i'm going UNDER CharoenMuang Road and into the new underpass! No more bobbing and weaving and waiting at the intersection.

Both north and southbound underpasses were open to traffic last night. Never thought I'd see the day! Two more underpasses to go?

Was riding out to dinner last night heading north on the superhwy and all of a sudden I realize i'm going UNDER CharoenMuang Road and into the new underpass! No more bobbing and weaving and waiting at the intersection.

Both north and southbound underpasses were open to traffic last night. Never thought I'd see the day! Two more underpasses to go?

hope they re-time the traffic lights for those "above ground", currently you wait up to 180 sec (3 minutes) per phase and thats if youre lucky to get thru the phase, <_<

Two different contractors I'm afraid. The two remaining underpasses will be not be completed in the forseeable future but the work will move forward enough to allow normal cross traffic to flow again. One step forward and back three.

Yup, two more to go, though especially the San Dek one just doesn't seem to be happening.

I still think it's ludicrous to have traffic lights on top of it; it now takes LONGER than before during construction when traffic just flowed around.

Now on to the next project. :o The flyover at the Third Ring and Superhighway #11 is coming along nicely as well.

So that just leaves under or over-passes of the Third Ring with the old Lamphun Road, and the Hang Dong road (Samoeng Intersection). (Don't care about any other intersections on that ring.. :D )

Something elevated and fancy to connect the Middle Ring with the Canal Road would be nice too; they're building a regular intersection & bridge now it seems. But really it would be nice to just fly over the Canal Road, then merge into it on a ramp similar to the Airport Plaza flyover.. That would mean some serious pillars in the water I suspect. Oh well, one day. :D

The hole at Chang Puak has had more work done on it in the last two months than in the last three years. Hopefully they'll complete the job soon.

You are not wrong there! With the new crews, they seem to have accomplished more in the last few weeks, than the last year. All the cast beams for the Chotana/Mae Rin road have been done and some new ones are actually in place. Excavation continues at an awe inspiring pace, and I can see it being completed this side of Christmas, weather permitting :o

Wow, that is good news. IMO, they did a fine and fast job at the Sankhampeang intersection.

Congratualations to the constructors.

It also won't be long before the bridge over the Superhighway at the 121 road will be open. Maybe the same constructor?

Great!

Nienke

The two remaining underpasses will be not be completed in the forseeable future but the work will move forward enough to allow normal cross traffic to flow again.

How do you know that they don't intend to complete the underpasses ?

Edited by lamphun

Didn't the minister for transport, or his no.2, inspect the halted road works a month or so ago, and promise that they would be finished within 6 months? By the sound of things he is sticking to his word!!! I feel that the Chotana/Mae Rin underpass has been a major eyesore and pain to navigate for the last 2 years or so, since it was started.

The two remaining underpasses will be not be completed in the forseeable future but the work will move forward enough to allow normal cross traffic to flow again.

I should have qualified my post by saying that the story came from a well connected Thai family here in Chiang Mai. Nothing more, so at the least it can be taken as rumor. I like everyone else hope it's not true and like everyone else hope they will complete both projects.

I should have qualified my post by saying that the story came from a well connected Thai family here in Chiang Mai. Nothing more, so at the least it can be taken as rumor. I like everyone else hope it's not true and like everyone else hope they will complete both projects.

the newly erected sign (in thai) at san dek specifically indicates the start of the work as 1st june 2007 and completion date within 6 months. the work going on at this point of time seems to point that we should be able to use the underpass before the end of this year although we all know how long the project has been delayed.

the newly erected sign (in thai) at san dek specifically indicates the start of the work as 1st june 2007 and completion date within 6 months. the work going on at this point of time seems to point that we should be able to use the underpass before the end of this year although we all know how long the project has been delayed.

I also read in a Thai newspaper that the department of transportation has taken over the work from the old contractors because they ran out of money, and intended to finish the work within 6 months as there's not much work left.