water pipe leak

taximan1954

A solution that is missing, so far, is the 3M amalgamating tape it is 23 Rubber Splicing Tape this will resist pressure and you can just add to it if you don’t have enough thickness. 

This would be my first choice as though you do need to clean the pipe it is reasonably easy to fit, it will also fit on bends and other shapes.

A071FBC2-B55C-461B-A717-DC0FA380EF56.thumb.jpeg.ef2dbb5da4d193afbb2f4606a4ca93e1.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

A solution that is missing, so far, is the 3M amalgamating tape it is 23 Rubber Splicing Tape this will resist pressure and you can just add to it if you don’t have enough thickness. 

This would be my first choice as though you do need to clean the pipe it is reasonably easy to fit, it will also fit on bends and other shapes.

Smart idea ???? 

This stuff is an amalgamating tape, make sure you stretch it enough when applying, after a while it becomes one solid mass ???? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Smart idea ???? 

This stuff is an amalgamating tape, make sure you stretch it enough when applying, after a while it becomes one solid mass ???? 

It is often though to be only specifically used in electrical cabling to stop water ingress.

However if it can stop water getting into a joint it can (and in one of my showers it does) stop water getting out. 

I have a stainless steel fitting on my shower that has cracked and a replacement would be a few thousand Baht. The first application was not quite strong enough to resist the pressure but as it is amalgamating tape a subsequent extra few layers both stand up to the high pressure water and look reasonably neat.

short of a replacement or stainless steel welding I think it’s the only way to fix this problem.

9A2466EF-C02D-4522-9068-2D72AD847512.thumb.jpeg.3bb95516e882efa235bb5509e985bb4c.jpeg

it isn’t inexpensive but for the jobs it can do it is cheap.

It is infinitely better than electrical tape as there is no adhesive to get sticky 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Smart idea ???? 

The secret is in the stretching of the tape as it's applied. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, MJCM said:

Lots of it in the back and not a lot in the front (this is what a plumber friend told me)

Here the example how my plumber friend showed me how to do it with the tape, I am keeping this and showing it to anyone who comes to "handle our PVC."

All my Tanks and connectors (with thread) are done this way and NO leaks, only leaks where people used the glue (which of course deteriorates)

1.jpg

3.jpg.0d87e9b7aaddd35d6ac159e20217b6de.jpg

2.jpg.e3dbe973d62321728c724135df5b41d5.jpg

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Here the example how my plumber friend showed me how to do it with the tape, I am keeping this and showing it to anyone who comes to "handle our PVC."

All my Tanks and connectors (with thread) are done this way and NO leaks, only leaks where people used the glue (which of course deteriorates)

1.jpg

3.jpg.0d87e9b7aaddd35d6ac159e20217b6de.jpg

2.jpg.e3dbe973d62321728c724135df5b41d5.jpg

That is how it should be done, you don't use glue on those tapered thread fittings..

28 minutes ago, transam said:

That is how it should be done, you don't use glue on those tapered thread fittings..

Thx.  I was maybe not that clear, but

What I meant was that on all threaded fittings we use this much tape, but on the fittings that don't have threads they thus must use glue. Glue deteriorates, and in our case all the leaks we have are on the PVC that is connected to each other with glue!

I am really thinking of changing all that PVC to HDPE Pipe with the connectors that @Crossy is using!!

25 minutes ago, MJCM said:

What I meant was that on all threaded fittings we use this much tape, but on the fittings that don't have threads they thus must use glue. Glue deteriorates, and in our case all the leaks we have are on the PVC that is connected to each other with glue!

I am really thinking of changing all that PVC to HDPE Pipe with the connectors that @Crossy is using!!

If the PVC glue was applied correctly, i.e. prior to glueing to clean it by fine sand paper and the glue applied on both connection, it will held properly at least 20 years.   

The white tape does not need always to be so strong throughout the full length of thread, just to gradually increase at the end to form quasi a ring, washer.

15 minutes ago, Saanim said:

If the PVC glue was applied correctly, i.e. prior to glueing to clean it by fine sand paper and the glue applied on both connection, it will held properly at least 20 years.   

Thx. Done that been there (also told by my Plumber friend).

My guess is that the guy who glued those fittings cut the pipes too short so that they did not have a lot of "meat" inside where the glue catches and also did not use sufficient glue. And it's only leaking on those joints (but it's a pain to remove and exchange it (LOTS of Pipe (21 water tanks interconnected)

In the meantime (same guy) also did not use enough glue on the rain gutters on our build (just over 2 years old) and we already had to replace all of that because it was leaking on all the joints!! And that was with the glue from the rain gutter manufacturer.

glue.jpg.5590234e4d3967cab4d45cc24a94d0f1.jpg

Edited by MJCM

39 minutes ago, MJCM said:

The "glue" is usually very good if done properly, it seems to melt the surfaces together, bit like our Airfix kits, though the plastic pipe doesn't like sunlight day after day. My house is 15 years old now, all "visible" water pipes were buried in the walls, with no problems. 

Problem with metal/brass/gunmetal fittings, they always seem to need maintenance with corrosion of some sort, whereas the plastic fittings stay good if out of the sun. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 4:34 PM, Excel said:

I used this (actually a local Thai handyman, speaks good English) a few years back to fix a leaking pipe, the water going into the wall for the upstairs shower. The leak area was just above the ceiling on the ground floor level. Ceiling was wet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I used this (actually a local Thai handyman, speaks good English) a few years back to fix a leaking pipe, the water going into the wall for the upstairs shower. The leak area was just above the ceiling on the ground floor level. Ceiling was wet.

Yep same stuff  I used a while back on my Neighbour's pipe, still going strong after a few years.