Private Bus Operators to Cut Services Next Month

snoop1130

2aad12d05927c0e772f0c8f00fdcf344_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Private bus operators plan to reduce their transport operations starting from July 1 due to high fuel prices.

Thai Bus Business Association President Pichet Jiamburaset disclosed that private bus operators agreed during a meeting with transportation and bus companies to reduce operations on 143 bus routes by approximately 80% beginning July 1, 2022. He said the decision aims to ensure the survival of their businesses until the government approves a revised ticket fare structure in line with fuel costs.

Pichet added that while he understands how fare hikes affect commuters, private operators are unable to cope with rising fuel prices, which surged to 1,600 baht per trip this week, up from 1,400 baht last week.

State-owned Transport Co Ltd meanwhile said it will consult with private bus operators to implement measures that will assist these businesses while minimizing the impact on commuters. The company also assures that it will continue to operate normally on both domestic and international routes, with prices remaining unchanged for the time being.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-06-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Those ancient busses in the pictures and ones I see plying the roads in Issan must get horrible gas mileage.

Government incentives for companies to invest in new gas effective transportation would be helpful.

This government doesn't think in those terms though despite the long-term good it would do for the economy and the environment. 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 2

Private companies get their interest rate money by undertaking work in the public sector. Buses in Thailand are very old enouth so State should nationalize them in order not to increase tickets. Senior people retires above 60 years old as well as large families should not pay taxes on groceries as well as half a ticket on all means of transport and utilities.We want a fair social system for all without exclusions because every citizen has a right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A change in government would benefit the economy and the environment.

More importantly, a drastic [and permanent] change within those highly influential and controlling circles. 

The crux of all our woes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, if you run a public bus network with such coffins on wheels ......... no surprised there! 

Do what,I have been using Bangkok bus's for years ,OK they are bone shakers but for a few baht they work well ,most certainly not coffins on wheels.

And when I was in Bangkok a few weeks ago they were very few buses running ,to cut back any more would be not good for the travelling public.

PS. Used the BTS sky train at the same time ,very few people using the system compared to times past ,with practically no buses, how are people getting around Bangkok.

13 hours ago, kickstart said:

Do what,I have been using Bangkok bus's for years ,OK they are bone shakers but for a few baht they work well ,most certainly not coffins on wheels.

And when I was in Bangkok a few weeks ago they were very few buses running ,to cut back any more would be not good for the travelling public.

PS. Used the BTS sky train at the same time ,very few people using the system compared to times past ,with practically no buses, how are people getting around Bangkok.

Well, some of those "bone shakers" - as you name them - have been in service since before 1985 (that's when I arrived). The age is not the problem but the maintenance and up keeping is. Those coffins on wheels guzzle fuel as if there is no tomorrow and hundreds of millions of fleet up keeping expenses kept everything up ........ except the fleet.