Can a foreigner obtain debit card with a name on it?

On your debit card there's a logo. A Visa or a Master logo. A Union Pay logo if that's the debit card you get.

As far as I know you don't have YOUR name on it though, unlike on credit cards.

master.png

Edited by JackGats
  • Thanks 1

My Kasikorn Visa debit card does not have my name on it but it works like a debit card. 

It says "Privileged Member" where a name usually is on a Western debit card.

0E20051A-DC32-4E61-A586-E28F81FFEF9B.jpeg

Edited by misterphil
Pic
  • Thanks 1

Apart from their NFC feature, debit cards here (similar to the Philippines) are somewhat ancient. Those issued by Cambodian banks are similar in appearance and function to credit cards. They have embossed or raised numbers and characters which is why hotels, airlines and car rental companies accept them. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mvdf said:

Apart from their NFC feature, debit cards here (similar to the Philippines) are somewhat ancient. Those issued by Cambodian banks are similar in appearance and function to credit cards. They have embossed or raised numbers and characters which is why hotels, airlines and car rental companies accept them. 

My Philippine debit cards have all my name on it. (BDO, Metrobank) 

I've used my 'Privileged Member' Krungsri debit card many times for on line purchases both here and in the UK and yes, you can get authentication codes even when using it abroad.

Just enter your name when filling in the card details.

34 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Actually, embossed/raised numbers are the "ancient" way of doing things. My US card issuers started going to the flat style with the number printed on the back a few years ago, and as of late last year all of my US credit and debit cards have been replaced by non-embossed versions - it hasn't affected their acceptability at all. 

I stand corrected then. Yes I just noticed my German debit cards are now "numberless and nameless" on the front of the card. Everything is now printed on the back of the card.

Edited by mvdf

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

I have the same card.

Paid 200b extra to get my name printed on it, took a week.

I used to have one of those with my name, but when I renewed I was advised that they no longer offerred the facility.

When I use the card online I use my own name rather than "privileged member".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, misterphil said:

My Kasikorn Visa debit card does not have my name on it but it works like a debit card. 

It says "Privileged Member" where a name usually is on a Western debit card.

0E20051A-DC32-4E61-A586-E28F81FFEF9B.jpeg

Mine same, both K Bank and BBL bank.

When I use either of the cards I get a slip from the merchant.

With both cards, I also get a 'ding' sound on my smartphone and an SMS message advising me the card has been used, amount etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

Actually, embossed/raised numbers are the "ancient" way of doing things. My US card issuers started going to the flat style with the number printed on the back a few years ago, and as of late last year all of my US credit and debit cards have been replaced by non-embossed versions - it hasn't affected their acceptability at all. 

Exactly, embossed characters were for the old imprint devices.

My HSBC cards are still embossed but my RBS is flat. My Wise visa debit card has no info on the front and only my name and cvc on the back.

Its a security level, no name, it cant be used online by anyone else as they dont know the name to enter.

If you are using your card, enter your name as stated on your account and you should be good to gol

Be careful ! Some Thai banks (TIT) put names in reverse surname then forename.

11 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Its a security level, no name, it cant be used online by anyone else as they dont know ghd nzme to enter.

If you are using your card, enter your name as stated on your account and you should be good to gol

Be careful ! Some Thai banks (TIT) put names in reverse surname then forename.

True

Instead of putting

Robert

They put

TREBOR

45 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In my case with SCB debit card I just put SCB Debit and hasn't so far been refused.......

1 hour ago, Everyman said:

I can’t believe no one has mentioned it, but try to use a Thai debit card overseas and you will find that people think it’s fake. 

wat

2 hours ago, topt said:

In my case with SCB debit card I just put SCB Debit and hasn't so far been refused.......

Most unembossed cards act like the virtual cards when paying online - you could put anything as the name and it will be accepted by the bank or the merchant. Depending on your bank, when you issue the virtual card in the online banking then it may even explicitly state that you could write any name when paying online.

Most embossed cards, when paying online, require to enter the name and it must match the name on the embossing, or it will be rejected by the bank or the merchant.

So Thai debit cards are more like virtual cards rather than "real" debit cards.

1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

You can put any name you want and it will pass.

It usually works only with unembossed/unnamed cards. The embossed/named cards will not be accepted if you write any name when paying online.

Edited by fdsa

2 hours ago, Everyman said:

I can’t believe no one has mentioned it, but try to use a Thai debit card overseas and you will find that people think it’s fake. 

Why ?  I have used a kasikorn car overseas many many times and no one batted an eyelid.. 

• Like 1

My SCB debit card doesn't have my name on it and I never thought it was an issue until I tried to use it in person to rent a car in Barcelona.  The agent refused the card because it doesn't have my name on it.  I tried to explain it's a security feature but he insisted so I was lucky I had my American Visa card with me too.

• Like 1