Can a foreigner obtain debit card with a name on it?

I showed my BKK Bank debit card to a rent-a-car company about 3 years ago in California and they said they wouldn't take it.  My name had to be printed on the front (or back now a days)  I had another card with my name on it so it wasn't an issue.  I paid cash for everything else because I'm used to it.  Not sure if you walked up to an airline counter and tried to buy a ticket at the airport if they would take it.  I kind of doubt it.  On line no problem.    I didn't even think you could get a debit card here with your name on it, but I will ask next time.

For online purchases you can assume your debit card works like a credit card.  The bank knows the proper name associated with the account.

Personally I don't use anything but US issued credit cards and I limit my purchases to US retailers online.  Mostly because the bank's foreign transaction fees are upwards of 1% otherwise.

Now, when I want you buy something online in Thailand (or SE Asia) which I can not get COD (I ❤️ COD), then I use a Thai Bank debit card.
I have one account which is keep around with only the amount of money in it needed to keep from getting dinged by the Thai bank's minimum account level fees - about 2500 THB.
When I want to make on online debit card purchase, I transfer that exact amount to this debit card account from my primary account (the one I get my pension funds sent to).  Doing this way I don't worry at all about fraudulent debit card transactions after paying for your goods and services.  The most I'm going to lose with debit card fraud in that minimum bank balance. 

A little bit of paranoia is a healthy thing.  And Debit Card fraud is a real thing here in the LOS.  In the US, your Credit Card purchases are protected under the Fair Credit Billing Act.  This is one reason I steer away from Thai credit cards - you have no Consumer Protection.  But if you maintain a Visa and/or MC debit card account and fill it as you need it for online purchases - you're pretty safe.  Well, imho.

Personally - I prefer cash.
"Oh but digital transactions are so much more convenient!"

Bunk.  The transactions take longer at the checkout as the plebs fumble with their QR codes and transaction glitches.
I've been behind too many people in a checkout line where I end up waiting 3 to 5 minutes for them to get their transactions cleared. 
Me?
Cashier: "2456 THB."
Me: Here <hands over 2500>
Cashier: "44 THB is your change <hands receipt>
Me: Thanks!

Person fumbling with their smartphone behind me: "But you'll get Covid!"

No you won't.  Your chances of surface contamination is less than 1 out of 10,000.  That can be verified via the CDC.  By the way.  When was the last time you disinfected your smartphone display?  How often do you do that?  Think about it.  :thumbsup:  Smart phone displays are probably one of the filthiest surfaces in the world.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Exactly, embossed characters were for the old imprint devices.

I'm scratching my head trying to remember when was the last time I saw one of those used.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Yes I have 2---they call them credit cards, but really they way they work , its a debit card, but handy for booking Hotels/cars etc.

Debit and credit cards are completely different, i have both with Kasikorn bank.

Debit card doesn't have my name on, only card number and "privileged member"

Credit card has my name and other details on, all embossed

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, connda said:

For online purchases you can assume your debit card works like a credit card.  The bank knows the proper name associated with the account.

Personally I don't use anything but US issued credit cards and I limit my purchases to US retailers online.  Mostly because the bank's foreign transaction fees are upwards of 1% otherwise.

Now, when I want you buy something online in Thailand (or SE Asia) which I can not get COD (I ❤️ COD), then I use a Thai Bank debit card.
I have one account which is keep around with only the amount of money in it needed to keep from getting dinged by the Thai bank's minimum account level fees - about 2500 THB.
When I want to make on online debit card purchase, I transfer that exact amount to this debit card account from my primary account (the one I get my pension funds sent to).  Doing this way I don't worry at all about fraudulent debit card transactions after paying for your goods and services.  The most I'm going to lose with debit card fraud in that minimum bank balance. 

A little bit of paranoia is a healthy thing.  And Debit Card fraud is a real thing here in the LOS.  In the US, your Credit Card purchases are protected under the Fair Credit Billing Act.  This is one reason I steer away from Thai credit cards - you have no Consumer Protection.  But if you maintain a Visa and/or MC debit card account and fill it as you need it for online purchases - you're pretty safe.  Well, imho.

Personally - I prefer cash.
"Oh but digital transactions are so much more convenient!"

Bunk.  The transactions take longer at the checkout as the plebs fumble with their QR codes and transaction glitches.
I've been behind too many people in a checkout line where I end up waiting 3 to 5 minutes for them to get their transactions cleared. 
Me?
Cashier: "2456 THB."
Me: Here <hands over 2500>
Cashier: "44 THB is your change <hands receipt>
Me: Thanks!

Person fumbling with their smartphone behind me: "But you'll get Covid!"

No you won't.  Your chances of surface contamination is less than 1 out of 10,000.  That can be verified via the CDC.  By the way.  When was the last time you disinfected your smartphone display?  How often do you do that?  Think about it.  :thumbsup:  Smart phone displays are probably one of the filthiest surfaces in the world.

Many senior Virologists say Covid is air borne not transmitted by touch

23 minutes ago, Stocky said:
7 hours ago, sandyf said:

I'm scratching my head trying to remember when was the last time I saw one of those used.

1973 when I had my first job in retail after I graduated from high school.  Never saw them after that.

5 hours ago, Everyman said:

I can’t believe no one has mentioned it, but try to use a Thai debit card overseas and you will find that people think it’s fake. 

Used mine many times in many countries, never an issue.

But mine have my name.

3 hours ago, fdsa said:

It usually works only with unembossed/unnamed cards. The embossed/named cards will not be accepted if you write any name when paying online.

Only my latest renewed card is unembossed (the name is printed on the back of it) yet I never ever put my full name as appears on the card and never had a problem with that.

18 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

1973 when I had my first job in retail after I graduated from high school.  Never saw them after that.

Barclays bank in the UK still has debit and credit cards with raised embossed characters. The last one i received was 2019, due a new debit card next month

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I don't see how, esp as not many Thais have  Western names

Good for you think what you want. In Italy you have to request they put your name on one but their standard is no name.

Edited by Photoguy21

20 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

What purpose would having you name on it serve?

Sometimes an ATM does not return one's card.

If your card has your name on it they will return it to you upon showing your ID.

If card has privileged member.... you are <deleted> out of luck and off to the bank to buy a new card you go.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

Barclays bank in the UK still has debit and credit cards with raised embossed characters. The last one i received was 2019, due a new debit card next month

I was replying to this

On 6/23/2022 at 9:33 AM, sandyf said:

When I said I hadn't seen one since 1973...the old imprint devices.  Big metal devices that you had to push and pull the carbon paper forms through.....And when was the last time you saw some carbon paper.....

I guess I'm really dating myself, but we only had 4 TV channels back then.   ????????

23 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

I think they were still in use into the 90's but mainly small retailers.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:46 PM, mvdf said:

I stand corrected then. Yes I just noticed my German debit cards are now "numberless and nameless" on the front of the card. Everything is now printed on the back of the card.

That's funny, I thought my new German debit card (replacing the traditional visa credit card) didn't have my name on it either. Now I notice my name is at the back of the card, below the rows of numbers. We are probably talking about the same blue/aquamarine debit card.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:27 AM, CharlieH said:

Its a security level, no name, it cant be used online by anyone else as they dont know the name to enter.

If you are using your card, enter your name as stated on your account and you should be good to gol

Be careful ! Some Thai banks (TIT) put names in reverse surname then forename.

Yes, and every Thai bank has problems with peoples accounts being raided.