How on earth do they fit in economy?

Business class is hard for me to justify for added comfort.

Anyone have experience with "premium economy" seating which is like twice the cost of economy instead of 5 times the cost of economy?

I am not sure exactly what you get when choosing a premium economy ticket.

2 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Business class is hard for me to justify for added comfort.

Anyone have experience with "premium economy" seating which is like twice the cost of economy instead of 5 times the cost of economy?

I am not sure exactly what you get when choosing a premium economy ticket.

IIRC premium economy means you will get a seat the same size as an economy seat, but with a lot more leg room.

I prefer business class; however, I suspect that class is now beyond the wallet of the average traveler now.

• Like 1

I hope my post doesn't come across as being humiliating to obese people because that's not my intention.

I'm mainly just trying to find out the "average" bigger person perspective on how they manage economy, especially on some of these Asian carriers where the seats are 16.5 I think.

As for premium economy ,not every flight has that class .

I guess you can always buy 2 seats ,it can sometimes work out cheaper than business , sometimes.

I've had oversized people spilling over into my seat, babies screaming in my ear, tedious-talkers rambling on, old ladies putting on nail polish poisoning me with toxic fumes, and it's miserable. To be fair, I also sat next to a very large man once and at first was not happy about it. But he somehow managed to keep all of his parts to himself for the entire flight and I could see he was very uncomfortable doing it. I was impressed. He clearly had compassion for those seated next to him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I've had oversized people spilling over into my seat, babies screaming in my ear, tedious-talkers rambling on, old ladies putting on nail polish poisoning me with toxic fumes, and it's miserable. To be fair, I also sat next to a very large man once and at first was not happy about it. But he somehow managed to keep all of his parts to himself for the entire flight and I could see he was very uncomfortable doing it. I was impressed. He clearly had compassion for those seated next to him.

The two worst experiences I have were:

When smoking was still permitted in aircraft, being seated behind a guy who chain-smoked all the way from Sydney to Los Angeles on a 14 hour flight.

I prefer aisle seating as there is a bit more leg room, and I can get up and walk around to avoid DVT. On a flight from Melbourne to Bangkok ( 9 hours ) there was a nuff-nuff with OCD seated at the window in my row who wanted to leave his seat every five minutes.

Economy seating in aircraft is like a democracy, everyone gets the same vote irrespective of body mass, habits, or intelligence

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It is a nightmare when a fat person is in the seat next to you, you could ask to be moved, but you'd hope the airlines had some kind of system to not put 2 big people together.  A big guy next to a small woman may work ok.

I agree though the real big guys should save up and go business

Over a certain bulk they should require people to buy two seats. Don't forget that take off weight is the main parameter to calculate flight fuel consumption. To be fair it may be that the fare for the second seat may be less than full fare. 

17 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess so but your responsibility is to fit in that seat 

I think you should be polite and considerate, but if you spill over it isn't your fault.  You didn't make the seat or decide how much space each passenger gets.

1 hour ago, stoner said:

what would your compassion of been had he been unable to keep himself in ?

It's happened before. On the inside I'm irritated, on the outside I'm physically uncomfortable, but I don't say anything. I also don't say anything to the mother's of crying babies. When tedious-talkers bother me I put on my headphones and ignore them. Once when the old lady was putting on nail polish I pointed my air vent at her to blow the fumes away. She complained to the stewardess about my air so I politely commented that the polish fumes were giving me a headache. 

• Haha 1

Me too have a story. This happened when the Dreamliner was new into service, and the press reporting about various delays and problems with it.

We sat at the gate waiting for boarding to bkk, the plane outside had landed in time about 3 hours earlier. And now delayed boarding because technincal problems we were told. We sat there waiting, looking out the windows down at the plane. Staff come and go in a hurry, desperate trying to fix some issue it seemed. Among us passengers I could hear jokes and talks about the Dreamliner problems. Finally, after about 2 hours waiting they told us they were repairing the seats. The seats!
Ok we took off about 3 hours delayed, and during the aisle walk we could see some seats were labeled ”no seat”.

The previous flight was from New York, must have been an extraordinary bumpy ride with very obese people in economy????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawpcorn said:

Same thing happens on the Thai trains! Assigned seating on this train, and I was supposed to sit my 6'4" body between these two big body Thais! Luckily the opposite seat was available!

received_558735292313902.jpeg

buy two tickets next time, habib.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Haha 2

I hope one of the lasting results of Covid and high fuel prices is the death of cheap flights/rides crammed to the gills. I'd be happy to see ticket prices rise to the equivalent of what they were in the 60s and 70s, all the while making air travel the luxurious alternative it used to be. Just junk the entire concept of economy seating that forces people to travel like pigs in a factory farm. Of course, it would be nice if people maintained their weight and controlled their size back to 60s and 70s standards, too. Whales should pay extra for their tonnage.

• Haha 1

Guys I just traveling today on a plane to another Asian country won't say where just yet until I check it out 

And lo & behold right in the middle seat next to me was a fat young Filipino guy ,kept saying excuse me to me ,he is the one overloaded into my seat but he seemed aggressive type so I held back saying anything to him, but this was economy and 3 seats per row and there was some fatties in there !! And I don't mean chubby,one guy they had to move ,I felt sorry for him though he was very obese