Cost Of Living In Bangkok

joey2250

I live on Ramkhamhaeng, about a one minute walk to the canal (convenient to the Mall Bangkapi, Petchaburi MRT, Pratunam, etc.). The apartment is only one room (studio), but it has a shower/tub/western toilet as well as new bed/cabinets/drawers and assorted furniture. Also, it has sliding and screen doors to the balcony with curtains, which is a nice touch. The place is not fancy, but it's very clean and safe. I've met at least seven or eight other farang here from Singapore, the Philippines, Australia, America, and the UK.

Rent: 4200 (including HBO/Star Movies, wifi, air-con, pool, very good security, 20B laundry, new restaurant/karaoke and good-sized shop downstairs)

Utilities: 1600 (roughly)

Food: 5500 (two twentysomethings--when I was alone, around 2500. mostly groceries, going out to eat four or five times a month.)

Transport: 1500 (the busses & canal boats are cheap)

Visa: 0-6000 (I'm on a non-B now, but visa runs can be costly)

Entertainment/Others: 1000-2500 (every movie in English that comes out/beer every night)

When I was in an even cheaper apartment in Pakkret, I spent around 10,500 a month (living alone).

I was able to live for three months during the summer with no salary, including trips for two to Ko Samet and Ko Chang, on what I'd saved from only four months of teaching.... and still had about 20,000 left when school started again. Oh, and at that time I was only making 32,000 with no bonuses or benefits.

My standard of living is a little lower here than in America (no kitchen, no car), but I'm certainly happy and comfortable enough.

Edited by monteith

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live on Ramkhamhaeng, about a one minute walk to the canal (convenient to the Mall Bangkapi, Petchaburi MRT, Pratunam, etc.). The apartment is only one room (studio), but it has a shower/tub/western toilet as well as new bed/cabinets/drawers and assorted furniture. Also, it has sliding and screen doors to the balcony with curtains, which is a nice touch. The place is not fancy, but it's very clean and safe. I've met at least seven or eight other farang here from Singapore, the Philippines, Australia, America, and the UK.

Rent: 4200 (including HBO/Star Movies, wifi, air-con, pool, very good security, 20B laundry, new restaurant/karaoke and good-sized shop downstairs)

Utilities: 1600 (roughly)

Food: 5500 (two twentysomethings--when I was alone, around 2500. mostly groceries, going out to eat four or five times a month.)

Transport: 1500 (the busses & canal boats are cheap)

Visa: 0-6000 (I'm on a non-B now, but visa runs can be costly)

Entertainment/Others: 1000-2500 (every movie in English that comes out/beer every night)

When I was in an even cheaper apartment in Pakkret, I spent around 10,500 a month (living alone).

I was able to live for three months during the summer with no salary, including trips for two to Ko Samet and Ko Chang, on what I'd saved from only four months of teaching.... and still had about 20,000 left when school started again. Oh, and at that time I was only making 32,000 with no bonuses or benefits.

My standard of living is a little lower here than in America (no kitchen, no car), but I'm certainly happy and comfortable enough.

Sounds good.

The one thing that most readers don't know about the person posting his/her comments on living expenses is age. When I was younger I lived on a lot less than I do now. I will be retiring to Thailand in 3-4 years and ther's no way I would try to budget less than 150,000 baht/month and I will be buying a condo and a car. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less, now it's another matter whether I will actually need that much or not. I won't really know until I actually move to Thailand. I have visited many times but it's not the same. All this info is good and everyone is different, but it's hard for someone else to tell you how much you will actually need. I am at the point where I want some luxuries otherwise what is the point in retiring.

My 2 cents....

ACMIKE