Dozens of foreigners in Phuket allegedly defrauded by visa agency, police investigating

webfact

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The OP and the linked article "IS NOT" about people getting caught doing bogus extensions. Its about an agent doing a runner with money and passports.

There is no mention of checking the legitimacy of any visa's/extensions.

That would involve exposing corruption, so will probably remain brushed under the carpet. The victims however will still be up poo creek without a paddle.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

A large part of the problem is these guys don't have the 800,000 baht in the bank, hence the reason they use the agents and take the risks, and we all know with risks, the greater the risk, the greater the loss.

I too have no sympathy for those who can't afford to have 800k in the bank and use these types of agents, I also have the utmost disrespect for I/O's who are on the take and allow this practice to flourish, as long as they get their cut.

Will be interesting to see how this problem is sorted, no doubt there will be money to be made by these I/O's.

Maybe the time has come when a foreigner is allowed to present his income/savings that he has in his home country instead of the stupidity of having to have 800k in a Thai bank if your not married to a Thai you are discriminated against as the money requirement is double . I live in my own however I did have a Thai GF for 3 months my monthly expenditure trebled in that time yet if I had of married her then all that would be required in my Thai account is 400,000 baht that’s crazy 

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Maybe the time has come when a foreigner is allowed to present his income/savings that he has in his home country instead of the stupidity of having to have 800k in a Thai bank if your not married to a Thai you are discriminated against as the money requirement is double . I live in my own however I did have a Thai GF for 3 months my monthly expenditure trebled in that time yet if I had of married her then all that would be required in my Thai account is 400,000 baht that’s crazy 

Your crying over spilt milk, I just changed my extension from a marriage extension to a retirement extension because it is easy to obtain, i.e. on the spot and less paperwork involved, not to mention I/O's don't like doing them because they get checked elsewhere.

Nothing to do with discrimination, my budget is 70,000 baht a month, so put in 840,000 baht in the bank and draw down on it as required, that said, while your at it, throw in another 800,000 baht just to make sure you have more than enough to cover your annual extension, regardless, you will need money to survive in Thailand.

So you don't earn too much interest on it, they tax you a little, their country, their rules, we all have choices, but telling them what to do is like telling your own government back home what to do, eventually, you should get it, i.e. life is passing you and you are still stuck in the same place crying over spilt milk, accept it and move on, or move on, simple really.

4 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Well, we will never know what agent this was.  Overstay at a tune of 20,000 per person times 100.....maybe they say, "10,000, you OK?".   I understand what the article says, and I understand how reality works.  It's not like these falangs will make it out on top.  never.  Maybe 1900 baht for every two months.......I would be shocked if the falangs pay nothing.  0% Maybe some money changes from one hand to the other to the other and this agent is driving in a lambo......

Amazing how protecting an "alleged" (not convicted) and even convicted criminal is a thing.   Falangs will never know.    Maybe your agent has been convicted 10000000000000000x and you are not allowed to know.

It's my country, so I have to account for this and do it myself.  But I feel bad for the falang......

It's funny that you mention 20,000 Baht, that's around how much it costs to get the retirement visa without having the requisite 400,000/800,000 Baht in the bank,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

It's funny that you mention 20,000 Baht, that's around how much it costs to get the retirement visa without having the requisite 400,000/800,000 Baht in the bank,

Yes indeed. That is what I used to have to pay to avoid the financial bureaucracy when I lived in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed. That is what I used to have to pay to avoid the financial bureaucracy when I lived in Thailand.

I know someone who does it. One thing being, it means 4 trips a year to Pattaya, when if you're doing it the legit way you can do your 90 day reports by mail, as I did for a few years. (I'm now living back in the UK).

38 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Don't feel like talking to the rabid dogs in uniform at immigration, then pay someone else to speak with them.

My life is just fine, thank you.

So nice that you have to belittle those you don't even know. What happened, did you not correctly fill the form out or omit your signature?

Surely these people were breaking the law using an agent? The only people I know who use an agent are those who don't have the 800K in the bank. The agent puts 800K in their accounts and then withdraws it immediately but claims to the I/O that it is seasoned. It's pretty clearly fraud.

I know a guy been here 17 years, he has used agents to extend his marriage visa for all this time. He is two years on overstay and agents can't do anything for him, and he doesn't have 400K in the bank. I'd lend it to him but I'd never see the money again as I'm guessing two years overstay meaning deportation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dick turpin said:

"I have learned how to do the 90 day report online"

Did that involve going to evening classes?

With the on again, off again status of the on line reporting system no surprise.

34 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Surely these people were breaking the law using an agent? The only people I know who use an agent are those who don't have the 800K in the bank. The agent puts 800K in their accounts and then withdraws it immediately but claims to the I/O that it is seasoned. It's pretty clearly fraud.

I know a guy been here 17 years, he has used agents to extend his marriage visa for all this time. He is two years on overstay and agents can't do anything for him, and he doesn't have 400K in the bank. I'd lend it to him but I'd never see the money again as I'm guessing two years overstay meaning deportation.

Surely not. Everytime I go to immigration I see multiple agents with stacks of passports, X however many immigration offices there are.. Your theory is that these millions of people using agents are all scofflaws?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Multiple news outlets have reported an estimated 100 foreigners in Phuket

what is it Dozens of Foreigners or 100 foreigners, not same same.... glad I am not one of them 555

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, proton said:
6 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Not painful per the linked article:

"We will help and those defrauded by this agent will not be held accountable or suffer penalties or punishment for their current visa status."

Expand  

Does that mean those who got an extension from another province with no cash in the bank will be let off as the agent did a runner? ????

They didn't get their extensions, that's the point of the article!

I always did the visa extension thing myself. I loved to do visa Runs,...sometimes they where at a inconvenient time but I always tried to enjoy it. I did visa runs at every official border crossings around Thailand. Sometimes I stayed and traveled around in the border country. It was great fun and so adventurous..... Cambodia, Laos Myanmar (Burma), Malaysia,....don them all.....several times in over 30 years.

6 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Well, we will never know what agent this was.  Overstay at a tune of 20,000 per person times 100.....maybe they say, "10,000, you OK?".   I understand what the article says, and I understand how reality works.  It's not like these falangs will make it out on top.  never.  Maybe 1900 baht for every two months.......I would be shocked if the falangs pay nothing.  0% Maybe some money changes from one hand to the other to the other and this agent is driving in a lambo......

Amazing how protecting an "alleged" (not convicted) and even convicted criminal is a thing.   Falangs will never know.    Maybe your agent has been convicted 10000000000000000x and you are not allowed to know.

It's my country, so I have to account for this and do it myself.  But I feel bad for the falang......

And your point is?