Senator warns that Paetongtarn Shinawatra or Ung Ing, Thaksin’s daughter, is wrong for the job

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Paetongtarn Shinawatra (centre) emerged in last Sunday’s Nida Poll as the runaway public favourite for the role of Prime Minister with 25.68%

It would be interesting to see what would happen if she did win.  It's almost a win-win situation.  If she wins and improves Thailand, great, if she wins and things don't improve, it will silence a lot of Thaksin supporters who say that if he was in charge everything would be better.

Many people view it as "If Thaksin was in charge, we would get more money", because that is what has happened in the past, but that money obviously has to come from somewhere and the coffers aren't exactly full right now.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

General Prayut Chan ocha (left), in third place with only 11.68%,

An obvious mandate for another stint in the top job. He could win with 5% of the vote the way the current system is set. Mr P is not about to panic just yet. The courts will do all the dirty work for him to eliminate any serious contenders. 

We will go through the charades of an election and nothing will change despite his unpopularity. The military will be responsible for any future leader choice not the voters but they’ve got to feel like they were given a chance to be part of the selection process. 

8 hours ago, bobbin said:

To be honest, my feelings regarding the current military government have taken a 180 degree turn..

They are now my heroes.

Starting from when the then-Justice Minister declared the Drug War lost and over, the initiative to legalize medical cannabis and culminating in the recent legalization of Cannabis.

This is a bold and long overdue action and hopefully will encourage other countries in the region to follow suit..

A civilian government would have been unlikely to have delivered this policy in any reasonable time-frame given the horse-trading  necessary..

So Ms. Shinawatra and her clan had best get onboard, and how likely is that, with Papa's recent outburst comparing cannabis to opium and heroin?

Give a million monkeys a typewriter and in 100 years one of them will write an excellent novel. So the military junta got one thing right, big whoop. They still suck at everything else.

• Like 1

And in the end......all this discussion, speculation, punditry and general Thai circus acts regarding who is who and who isn't will amount to nothing. Quite moot and rhetorical, if one ponders deeper. 

After said and done, the influential tradition [and systems] remains steadfast. 

Trimming the occasional branch does little to change the composition. 

Talking surface whimsy has little to do with anything or leading to any positive change.

Yet.....that's what they promote - distractions and sleight-of-hand. 

Especially when directing their spectre towards the naive......who usually go on about surface nothings.

Edited by zzaa09

42 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Is that a pre-appointed pig trough. always vote for the Junta senator or one than won (yeah I know)  his seat ?

Cronyism and nepotism have Thai etymological origins.......????????

8 hours ago, Denim said:

She has served the people in a previous important position.

Working in McDonalds,

xinsrc_ebecb464241f4119af27721e0d175164_thai.jpg

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-03/31/content_319484.htm

Which compared to Prayuth and all the other goons makes her over qualified if anything.

But she only lasted a few days.  To be totally honest, anyone named Shinawatra would be wrong for the job.  Thailand does not need any more family dynasties.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yea she will fit right in cheating on entrance exam and all. I mean its such a shame Thailand if full of losers like that. I don't mean just her but the fact they let a drug dealer in. It just shows how morally corrupt Thai politics on both sides is. 

Before I would mention Europe as an example, maybe if I say Western Europe Uk excluded it would be true. Seems standards in some countries in Europe have gone backwards too. 

Its just sad to see this in a country. I think we need time take care of this maybe in a far future things will change.

Why UK excepted?  Boris has certainly been a giant leap backwards.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Most Thais I know would love to have the Thaksin and his sister pardoned and returned home.  They truly believe he was good for them and the country.  Pardoning them could help stability.

The problem is that many people will not vote for Pheu Thai as long as the Shinawatras are involved. If he kept his mouth shut and kept his family away from this party, I believe they would win even more votes/seats. The party introduced some good policies and gave people of the North and North East their voice (probably to support his party rather than any real concerns for the people, but that seems to be the norm in Thai politics), and is recognized for this. Even so, I know I will not vote for this party as long as the Shins are involved, no matter how good their policies are.  

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

There's also plenty of Thais who don't want him or her to ever return to Thailand, both are convicted and have sentenced to time behind bars, (and I mean of real crimes, and no they weren't kangarooo courts, and there are still serious charges outstanding against him). 

What absolute nonsense. A minority of Thais do not want Thaksin and Yingluck to return. I am afraid you are projecting your misinformed drivel upon the Thai people - a very common form of self delusion amongst the lackeys of the authoritarian right. Both are convicted of trumped up garbage by rigged courts - any half wit can see the obvious there. Why has Thaksin never faced charges in relation to the drug war deaths or the Takbai incident? Your post brings to mind Rudy Guiliani’s comments on his bosses (Trump) claims the election was stolen - “we have lots of theories, we just don’t have any evidence” except in your case it’s “ we have lots of yellow shirt propaganda, we just don’t have any evidence”

If the Thai people could vote on who they would like exiled: Thaksin or Prayuth - this my simple friend, is the only election that Prayuth could ever win.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

The problem is that many people will not vote for Pheu Thai as long as the Shinawatras are involved. If he kept his mouth shut and kept his family away from this party, I believe they would win even more votes/seats. The party introduced some good policies and gave people of the North and North East their voice (probably to support his party rather than any real concerns for the people, but that seems to be the norm in Thai politics), and is recognized for this. Even so, I know I will not vote for this party as long as the Shins are involved, no matter how good their policies are.  

More garbage. Some people won’t vote for Pheu Thai because they don’t like Thaksin, that’s true, just as it’s true that millions do vote for Pheu Thai because they love Thaksin. He is a net vote winner, has been for 20 years. You have wandered off the reservation old chap, you should think about dropping the prejudices and coming back to reality.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

More garbage. Some people won’t vote for Pheu Thai because they don’t like Thaksin, that’s true, just as it’s true that millions do vote for Pheu Thai because they love Thaksin. He is a net vote winner, has been for 20 years. You have wandered off the reservation old chap, you should think about dropping the prejudices and coming back to reality.

You are the one who is delusional. There are many who no longer support Prayuth and Palang Pracharat, but they still hate Thaksin. So they will vote for other parties. And I never said Thaksin wasn't popular. He certainly is in the North and North East. But the Pheu Thai party should also be looking at the central and southern areas and winning over former supporters of the current regime but they won't do that with Thaksin still in the picture. 

2 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

What absolute nonsense. A minority of Thais do not want Thaksin and Yingluck to return. I am afraid you are projecting your misinformed drivel upon the Thai people - a very common form of self delusion amongst the lackeys of the authoritarian right. Both are convicted of trumped up garbage by rigged courts - any half wit can see the obvious there. Why has Thaksin never faced charges in relation to the drug war deaths or the Takbai incident? Your post brings to mind Rudy Guiliani’s comments on his bosses (Trump) claims the election was stolen - “we have lots of theories, we just don’t have any evidence” except in your case it’s “ we have lots of yellow shirt propaganda, we just don’t have any evidence”

If the Thai people could vote on who they would like exiled: Thaksin or Prayuth - this my simple friend, is the only election that Prayuth could ever win.

What absolute total rubbish, full of misinformation, way way less than accurate re the shin mob. I was here in Thailand all through this decade+, there is plenty of specific evidence. No I don't want the little general, and by the way if you get yourself out of your buuble there's several other very credible without baggage possibilities. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robblok said:

Depends if she is working for the people then there would be no problem. If she like her other family tries to get Thaksin home then it could lead to trouble. So it all depends do they want to work for the people (and take their corruption cut like the current MOB) or go after a Thaksin pardon again. (not beneficial to the people will lead to problems)

Will have to wait and see for that one.

Thailand needs a real progressive government, not another puppet regime.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

What absolute total rubbish, full of misinformation, way way less than accurate re the shin mob. I was here in Thailand all through this decade+, there is plenty of specific evidence. No I don't want the little general, and by the way if you get yourself out of your buuble there's several other very credible without baggage possibilities. 

You were here in Thailand all through this decade+…..meaningless. Going by your post history you’ve spent the decade+ with your head in the sand obsessed with anti Thaksin nonsense and rendered yourself clueless when it comes to what is actually true.

Why don’t you list a few links to the “specific evidence” against Thaksin. You can’t because there ain’t any, ditto for Yingluck and Thanathorn. Again, clueless.

Whenever someone becomes a credible option in politics the establishment loads them up (falsely) with baggage and then bars them and their party from politics. Like I said - clueless.

So now you don’t want the little General, your post history is nothing but anti Thaksin pro junta cheerleading for a decade+. You are very late to the party, I guess that is to be expected though, given how clueless we have established you to be.

23 hours ago, nikmar said:

I wonder when Suthep will start bleating about bringing the people out on the streets again to "obliterate Thaksinocracy" again.

I think this guy was smart because he made millions for himself just by walking on the street.

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

You are the one who is delusional. There are many who no longer support Prayuth and Palang Pracharat, but they still hate Thaksin. So they will vote for other parties. And I never said Thaksin wasn't popular. He certainly is in the North and North East. But the Pheu Thai party should also be looking at the central and southern areas and winning over former supporters of the current regime but they won't do that with Thaksin still in the picture. 

Great strategy, discard your number one asset to pick up a few disenchanted central and southern votes… throw away 1000 baht for the chance to pick up 20 baht - you my friend are an A grade, level one, top of the heap political genius.

I’m amazed by the passion and detailed discussions from “visitors” to this country about its politics. We the “traitors” who left our country for greener pastures (cheaper booze, younger flesh etc) need to take a chill pill and relax. It won’t do you any good whatsoever other than shorten the few years you got left to enjoy life. 
They deserve the government they have. My highly educated Thai colleagues’ main interests are TikTok, food, money, soap operas to name a few. Never hear anything remotely about politics or the future of their country. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

I’m amazed by the passion and detailed discussions from “visitors” to this country about its politics. We the “traitors” who left our country for greener pastures (cheaper booze, younger flesh etc) need to take a chill pill and relax. It won’t do you any good whatsoever other than shorten the few years you got left to enjoy life. 
They deserve the government they have. My highly educated Thai colleagues’ main interests are TikTok, food, money, soap operas to name a few. Never hear anything remotely about politics or the future of their country. 

Perhaps your sampling of Thais, like your knowledge of the past 20 years of Thai politics is insufficient. A great many Thais, on both sides, are fervently political and never miss an opportunity to join a street mob or weeks long sit in protest. Over the past year and a half tens of thousands of students have taken up the cause of trying to oust the current illegitimate regime, many of whom have landed in jail. Hardly worthy of being labelled apathetic. Sober up, tone down the racism and you my cynical friend may very well see the light.