Senator warns that Paetongtarn Shinawatra or Ung Ing, Thaksin’s daughter, is wrong for the job

webfact

8 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Perhaps your sampling of Thais, like your knowledge of the past 20 years of Thai politics is insufficient. A great many Thais, on both sides, are fervently political and never miss an opportunity to join a street mob or weeks long sit in protest. Over the past year and a half tens of thousands of students have taken up the cause of trying to oust the current illegitimate regime, many of whom have landed in jail. Hardly worthy of being labelled apathetic. Sober up, tone down the racism and you my cynical friend may very well see the light.

I take your point except the racism thing. You my friend are wasting your precious time thinking about it. The average Thai was brought up in a corrupt mindset environment. Those that are not now are easily swayed into becoming one. National pride and integrity easily gives way to personal gain. Public servants on 30k salaries looking at their colleagues driving a nice car and having a nice house bought by corruption is good incentive to wave future of their country away. Just about every Thai is willing to make that trade off after all despite what some outsiders who think Buddhist are spiritual people. Far from it as the first thing they want to know about you is how much money you have! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

I take your point except the racism thing. You my friend are wasting your precious time thinking about it. The average Thai was brought up in a corrupt mindset environment. Those that are not now are easily swayed into becoming one. National pride and integrity easily gives way to personal gain. Public servants on 30k salaries looking at their colleagues driving a nice car and having a nice house bought by corruption is good incentive to wave future of their country away. Just about every Thai is willing to make that trade off after all despite what some outsiders who think Buddhist are spiritual people. Far from it as the first thing they want to know about you is how much money you have! 

You take issue with the “racism thing” then spend the last two thirds of your post in a racist rant?

The equivalent viewpoint of a Thai on Americans would be “All Americans are Q Anon halfwits who believe Democrats are lizard people and JFK Jr is coming back to life to be Trumps running mate in 2024”

Your post is as idiotic and untrue as the above statement.

As for the wasting my precious time but, I disagree. 

Firstly, your assumption that all expats are old and at deaths door is incorrect (who’d have thunk just because you say something doesn’t make it true).

Secondly, Thai politics is fascinating. We have a front row seat to the real time upheaval of an entire nation and culture. We are watching the last flailings of on old undemocratic exploitive and repressive establishment as it is about to be swamped by a pro democracy, pro freedom demographic tsunami. By observing events here there is a great deal each of us can learn about the power structures and the architecture supporting those structures in our own countries. 

You, my friend, appear to be a glass half empty type of person - what a miserable way to choose to exist.

On 6/29/2022 at 4:05 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Is is and always was Thaksin's party. There is no way to take Thaksin out of it.

If politicians want to make sure that nobody thinks they are connected to Thaksin then they should stay away from that party.

But obviously lots of Thai politicians still want to be friends with the fugitive criminal.

Of course, this man has loads of money to finance their re-election. He is the original "walking ATM" who set the trend for this expression! 

23 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

Of course, this man has loads of money to finance their re-election. He is the original "walking ATM" who set the trend for this expression! 

Silly assumption when you consider the risks of party dissolution by Section 66 of the Organic Law on Political Parties. The deep state will be rubbing their hands if he is found to be financing his party. Look what the deep state did to FFP for accepting 2 loans from the party leader. 

On 6/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Look at what he did in the last decades and look what Yingluck did. You should be able to see that there is a difference.

And what does this have to do with Prayut? It's about the Shinawatra crime family. 

I much prefer them ( and I'm pretty sure so do most others ) to the current incumbents, but then you always like to go against the flow.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

What democracy? You’re not saying there’s democracy now in Thailand, right? 

Dependent on the false types of democracy that we might be speaking of.........but, did it ever? [btw, that's a rhetorical inquiry]. 

On 6/29/2022 at 12:39 PM, robblok said:

Depends if she is working for the people then there would be no problem. If she like her other family tries to get Thaksin home then it could lead to trouble. So it all depends do they want to work for the people (and take their corruption cut like the current MOB) or go after a Thaksin pardon again. (not beneficial to the people will lead to problems)

Will have to wait and see for that one.

Behind the headlines, Many Thais love Thaksin but don't speak out, the northeast love him, my wife tells me he's well liked all over Thailand, most she said think he's the better of 2 evils and Thailand was better off with him, but I don't think he will be back for some time yet, who knows what might happen in LOS. 

2 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Behind the headlines, Many Thais love Thaksin but don't speak out, the northeast love him, my wife tells me he's well liked all over Thailand, most she said think he's the better of 2 evils and Thailand was better off with him, but I don't think he will be back for some time yet, who knows what might happen in LOS. 

Before either of the prominent Shinawatras might show a hint of return, certain influential factors would have to dissolve from the elite's and public's consciousness. 

On 7/1/2022 at 4:57 PM, Golden Triangle said:

I much prefer them ( and I'm pretty sure so do most others ) to the current incumbents, but then you always like to go against the flow.

I absolutely don't want either.

With some luck there will be other alternatives at the next election (but not holding my breath).